Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1
sparkles61785
macrumors member

Will Apple Always Replace A Phone With Water Damage?

If my iPhone had water damage, would apple replace it for $199 if I'm under warranty? What about an iPhone with a broken screen? I am asking this because I am considering canceling the Squaretrade warranty that I purchased for my 3GS. Thanks.
sparkles61785 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:11 PM   #2
fireshot91
macrumors 601

Yes, any phone that is out of warranty (Water, User damage, etc), will be replaced for $199 with a refurb.
fireshot91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:00 PM   #3
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

I think the OP wants to know "Will Apple Always Replace A Phone With Water Damage?" because the OP wants to cancel their current warranty. It appears the OP is looking for a guarantee of the future.

In all honesty, I don't see how anyone can answer that question. Your asking for a future prediction on what a policy of a company would be.

Any answer someone gives you would just a valid as using one of these:
Attached Images

sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:00 PM   #4
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

delete
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

An out of warranty (see the apple website for the definition) iPhone WILL be replaced for $199, period.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

You'll have to pay for it, but it'll still cost you less than the full priced device. I think the only case where you have to pay full price is if the device was lost or stolen, since no exchange is made.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:31 PM   #7
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone.aggie View Post
An out of warranty (see the apple website for the definition) iPhone WILL be replaced for $199, period.
Yes this is true, but he is asking Always. No one can know that. The OP is banking on that Always to get rid of his current warranty.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 07:06 PM   #8
semlohde
macrumors member

I went to the Genius store with a cracked screen in June. 1st thing they did was flashlight the earphone plug and said I had water damage, poof, it's not under warranty any more. I asked how much to replace it and was told $199 PLUS the full cost of another iPhone. Perhaps you have had a different experience but they wanted about $500 total with my water damage. I sent it to missionrepair, they replaced the screen and digitizer with a 3 day turnaround for about $130. Guess I rambled some, but they did not want to replace my water damaged phone for $199 as it cancelled the warranty. ed
semlohde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 07:47 PM   #9
sparkles61785
macrumors member

For future reference, I'm a woman.
sparkles61785 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Gin Gin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by semlohde View Post
I went to the Genius store with a cracked screen in June. 1st thing they did was flashlight the earphone plug and said I had water damage, poof, it's not under warranty any more. I asked how much to replace it and was told $199 PLUS the full cost of another iPhone. Perhaps you have had a different experience but they wanted about $500 total with my water damage. I sent it to missionrepair, they replaced the screen and digitizer with a 3 day turnaround for about $130. Guess I rambled some, but they did not want to replace my water damaged phone for $199 as it cancelled the warranty. ed
This is wrong. Either you misunderstood or the genius gave you the wrong information. IN warranty replacement is free. Out of warranty replacement is $199 + tax. Not full price + $199. Dropping it and cracking the screen or getting water on it voids the warranty, so you get the $199 out of warranty replacement. I just went through this. Dropped my nearly new 3GS in water, made appointment with genius, told him it was water damaged, got my OOW replacement $199 + tax. The info is on apple's site plain as day.
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/...faq/#warranty7 Down near the bottom of the page, 7 b.
Gin Gin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkles61785 View Post
For future reference, I'm a woman.
Silly Rabbit, the internet is for white, straight men only! :-)
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 06:47 AM   #12
goosnarrggh
macrumors 68000

Note that even Out-of-warranty coverage doesn't apply to every type of damage.

Apple's website lists a few (non-exclusive) examples: an iPhone whose body has broken up into multiple pieces, or an iPhone where the damage was the result of unauthorized modifications (I assume this applies to improperly jailbroken phones that become bricked as a result).

Such phones are theoretically ineligible for even the $199 out-of-warranty replacement - but individual retail representatives may either not be aware of this policy or may choose to ignore it.
goosnarrggh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:17 PM   #13
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin Gin View Post
This is wrong. Either you misunderstood or the genius gave you the wrong information. IN warranty replacement is free. Out of warranty replacement is $199 + tax. Not full price + $199. Dropping it and cracking the screen or getting water on it voids the warranty, so you get the $199 out of warranty replacement. I just went through this. Dropped my nearly new 3GS in water, made appointment with genius, told him it was water damaged, got my OOW replacement $199 + tax. The info is on apple's site plain as day.
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/...faq/#warranty7 Down near the bottom of the page, 7 b.

Rather than start up another thread....

I basically got a water damaged iPhone given to me (he was gonna smash it!!) and want to get it fixed. In Canada its the $230 fee etc. I know they take the phone from you, which is fine, but on the phone buddy at the Apple store said that I need an appointment with a Genius to do the swap etc. Do I just give them the phone and the cash and be on my way? The phone is locked to Rogers (Canadian GSM provider) but I am with Fido (rival GSM provider who also offers the iPhone since they are owned by Rogers), do they need a SIM to activate and such while I am there? I just wanna get it home and unlock it.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:40 AM   #14
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

April Fools! Oh wait, it's only August.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semlohde View Post
I went to the Genius store with a cracked screen in June. 1st thing they did was flashlight the earphone plug and said I had water damage, poof, it's not under warranty any more. I asked how much to replace it and was told $199 PLUS the full cost of another iPhone. Perhaps you have had a different experience but they wanted about $500 total with my water damage. I sent it to missionrepair, they replaced the screen and digitizer with a 3 day turnaround for about $130. Guess I rambled some, but they did not want to replace my water damaged phone for $199 as it cancelled the warranty.
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:14 AM   #15
Gin Gin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkinixx View Post
Rather than start up another thread....

I basically got a water damaged iPhone given to me (he was gonna smash it!!) and want to get it fixed. In Canada its the $230 fee etc. I know they take the phone from you, which is fine, but on the phone buddy at the Apple store said that I need an appointment with a Genius to do the swap etc. Do I just give them the phone and the cash and be on my way? The phone is locked to Rogers (Canadian GSM provider) but I am with Fido (rival GSM provider who also offers the iPhone since they are owned by Rogers), do they need a SIM to activate and such while I am there? I just wanna get it home and unlock it.
Yeah they won't do anything without an appointment. I went to my appointment, showed it to the guy, told him it fell in water. He looked at the water sensors, says he can give me the $199 replacement. Had done my research and knew that & that's why I was there. He took my 3GS and told me he'd be right back with the replacement. Came back a few minutes later and said they were out of stock & he ordered me one. If they had been in stock I would've walked out with one, $199 lighter of course. I can't answer your question about needing a proper SIM, I'm on at&t. They did ask me for my SIM and activated the phone before I left. I don't know what they do if you don't have a SIM/contract, someone else can maybe answer that.
Gin Gin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:50 PM   #16
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin Gin View Post
Yeah they won't do anything without an appointment. I went to my appointment, showed it to the guy, told him it fell in water. He looked at the water sensors, says he can give me the $199 replacement. Had done my research and knew that & that's why I was there. He took my 3GS and told me he'd be right back with the replacement. Came back a few minutes later and said they were out of stock & he ordered me one. If they had been in stock I would've walked out with one, $199 lighter of course. I can't answer your question about needing a proper SIM, I'm on at&t. They did ask me for my SIM and activated the phone before I left. I don't know what they do if you don't have a SIM/contract, someone else can maybe answer that.
Thanks for the advice. My dad has a SIM I can use for the purpose of getting the phone. But of course, the online Genius booking thing tells me "We are full, sorry, please try again later"... ugh.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:29 PM   #17
matty1551
macrumors regular

I have a related question,

in theory couldnt i get someones broken 3gs and take it in and buy a new one for 199 without updating my contract?
matty1551 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:15 PM   #18
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1551 View Post
I have a related question,

in theory couldnt i get someones broken 3gs and take it in and buy a new one for 199 without updating my contract?
I hope so since that's what I am doing
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:23 PM   #19
matty1551
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkinixx View Post
I hope so since that's what I am doing
the question is how much does a broken 3gs go for?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:50 PM   #20
labman
macrumors 604

you would be surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1551 View Post
the question is how much does a broken 3gs go for?
I checked ebay a found one wow people are crazy out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPhone-3GS...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPhone-3GS-broke...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPhone-3GS-broke...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old Aug 26, 2009, 04:02 AM   #21
matty1551
macrumors regular

Wow
Old Aug 26, 2009, 04:10 AM   #22
inf
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to inf Send a message via Skype™ to inf
OH LOL!
inf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:11 AM   #23
maflynn

As others have stated, there's no way for anyone to know what apple will do in the future.

At the moment, they are replacing water damaged iPhones, not for free of course but at a cost. That policy may change with or without any notice. Trying to pin down the future is like trying to nail jello to a tree.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:29 AM   #24
alent1234
macrumors 603

there are a few non-apple affiliated iphone repair places on the internet. they are probably buying these for the spare parts.

where i work we deal with a used parts dealer that sells stuff made in the 1990's. there are still organizations using some big ticket items like backup libraries made 10 years ago
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone