Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oogieboogiex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Toronto
A friend recently bought a vinyl cutter and is using WinPCSign on a trial version on his Windows XP laptop.

I brought him a file to test, an Illustrator CS3 file, saved as an .ai, from my G4, on a 4gb stick.

Neither WinPCSign nor Corel Draw X4 he was using would open the ai file... we kept getting an error about it being a compressed file.

Is this like the old Mac to PC, PC doesn't recognize the Mac code, issue? Could it be something related to his WinPCSign being a trial version?

Anyone have a workaround? Do I need to save or export it as something else?

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I brought him a file to test, an Illustrator CS3 file, saved as an .ai, from my G4, on a 4gb stick.

.ai is Illustrator's native file format -- it's just the same way that I wouldn't expect a .psd to play as nicely with third part apps as, say a TIFF, would.

I'd try saving it out as an Illustrator EPS -- the file will still be editable in Illustrator but the EPS format is more acceptable to alternative platforms and applications. If the other programmes choke on Postscript, try PDF.

Cheers

Jim

oogieboogiex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Toronto
I'll maybe have to try them all... eps, pdf and maybe export a cdr and see if his Corel likes that...

he's not a graphics guy, he just bought the thing so he doesn't have to deal with a sign company/vinyl cutter, because he wasn't getting any service... I just need to help him figure out what he needs to tell people who want him to do stickers from existing files...

oogieboogiex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Toronto
thank for the input

yes, it was an issue that it did not like the CS3 file... illustrator 8 and eps worked fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.