Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satwaves reports that satellite radio company Sirius XM will be releasing a dock connector accessory receiver for the iPhone and iPod touch at a media event next Wednesday, allowing access full Sirius XM service via their devices.
Sources familiar with the situation are now confirming that Sirius XM will be unveiling the iPhone/iPod Touch accessory docks that I speculated about three months ago this Wednesday, August 26th. Sirius XM will be hosting a special invitation only media event in New York that day to show off their new products to be available this holiday season. The invitation reads: "View the new lineup of radios and accessories from Sirius XM for the home, office, vehicle and beyond."
Satwaves points to a posting at XMFan showing a diagram of the accessory, which will reportedly be called the "XM SkyDock".
The XM SkyDock is a docking station for your iPod Touch or iPhone that turns it into a SATELLITE XM Radio receiver! Included is an XM antenna, power cord (also featuring the new transmitter technology), and docking station that turns your iPod/iPhone into an actual XM Satellite Radio receiver using the SiriusXM app. This may be the biggest breakthrough in satellite radio technology to date, and could possibly bring in millions of additional subscribers. This SKYDock kit is expected to sell for less than $100.

223847-xm_skydock.jpg

The XM SkyDock accessory will reportedly utilize the Sirius XM Premium Online iPhone application initially released in June as an interface for the satellite service.

Article Link: Sirius XM to Release iPhone Accessory Receiver Next Week?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
This does sound promising, accessories made for the iPhone is getting bigger and bigger.

butchseaman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
Texas
I dropped my sirius account because they wanted an additional $2.99 a year when i had 3 different accounts. That was just getting too much ....:mad:

rth231

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Wait... 100 dollars plus 9.99 a month so I can have commercial free music when I could just load up my iPod/iPhone with whatever music I want?

Enjoy bankruptcy. No jokes, I'm being sirius.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
im failing to see the point here. can't ya just listen to it all via 3G right now without the reception hassle of a satellite receiver?:confused:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
im failing to see the point here. can't ya just listen to it all via 3G right now without the reception hassle of a satellite receiver?:confused:

Read the first post again, it says it will allow FULL accsess to all the Sirius/XM channels. Right now not all the channels are available on the Sirius/XM app.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I could see it if it was portable. but if it is only for home or car use why over a stand alone radio?

siriusfan123456

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
Use Sirius Sat for Free Telephone calls

If I'm able to connect my Iphone to a Sirius Sat., (using the new Skydock), then I'm only a heart beat away from being able to search the "Web" using that same Sirius Sat.
Let's go one step further......If I can use my Iphone to search the "Web", (using the Sirius Sat.), then I can use it for VoIP.

NO MORE AT&T.
I'll save $100 a month on phone charges!!
My first phone call will be to cancel my account with AT&T

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
If I'm able to connect my Iphone to a Sirius Sat., (using the new Skydock), then I'm only a heart beat away from being able to search the "Web" using that same Sirius Sat.
Let's go one step further......If I can use my Iphone to search the "Web", (using the Sirius Sat.), then I can use it for VoIP.

NO MORE AT&T.

Ummm. But that antennae is ONE WAY, so you would need to phone up your request, then get it down.... very slight chance of that EVER happening, and not cheaper than AT&T (have you ever priced HUghes Net sat internet?). Now, they might be able to add a feed of their website pretty easy.

What ever happened to Sat TV thru them? Is that still going on? Now that, i could be pretty darn excited to get portable.

But, i like the concept of this....

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

NO MORE AT&T.

Not happenin.Ever.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
In order for me to consider buying it, the following would need to happen...
1. Release new software that gives it the play/pause skip forward and backward functionality.
2. Make it so when Satellite signal fades (in a tunnel, garage, under trees) it will automatically switch to a cell signal.

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
No Howard . No Sale.

Why would you think Howard Stern wouldn't be on this? It turns your iphone into a regular SXM receiver.

I can't see many people buying this. Most people have SXM in their car and most people who use it portable listen through the data network without fussing with accessory addons. They should just improve their online app. The music quality total blows at 32K.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No Howard . No Sale.

Why would you think Howard Stern wouldn't be on this? It turns your iphone into a regular SXM receiver.

I can't see many people buying this. Most people have SXM in their car and most people who use it portable listen through the data network without fussing with accessory addons. They should just improve their online app. The music quality total blows at 32K.

This loyalty to Howard Stern is amazing. However, if he isn't on it now how would this accessory suddenly bring him to the iPhone app?

In order for me to consider buying it, the following would need to happen...
1. Release new software that gives it the play/pause skip forward and backward functionality.
2. Make it so when Satellite signal fades (in a tunnel, garage, under trees) it will automatically switch to a cell signal.
I agree. I have no use for this as I have it in my car already, but that is a good idea.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
this is just their way of getting you to buy their hardware in order to enjoy their full channel lineup....they could easily include Howard and the excluded sports channels on the iPhone app....so they make you buy something extra to get those, so they profit off it. well i dont even touch my stilleto anymore...i listen to Stern through StarPlayr and download the shows i miss....might not renew once my sub is up.

powerpanik

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
another dumb move by XM/Sirius

yet another blunder in a series... why would you spend $100 to add functionality to your iphone, that you could get by buying a $50 radio? this won't increase subscriptions or sales. if this was portable that would be a completely different story. spend $20 and download pocket tunes and save yourself a headache.

i had the sirius stiletto 2, they sent me 6 different units in a year after each one crapped out after about 2 weeks of use. eventually the warranty ran out and they refused to help, even though the company acknowledged this was a widespread problem.

once stern leaves, this company will collapse (even more than it already has)

xmit

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2004
Block Howard and I will sign up!

And then give me a discount for not helping to pay for his big pay check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.