Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Aug 26, 2009, 04:03 PM   #1
onqun
macrumors member

Xcode Web Developing

Hello guys,

Is it possible to build a project in Xcode. What I mean is, In visual studio or Dreamweaver. You split the screen so you know what you are doing also you can check the errors.

Thank You!
onqun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onqun View Post
Hello guys,

Is it possible to build a project in Xcode. What I mean is, In visual studio or Dreamweaver. You split the screen so you know what you are doing also you can check the errors.

Thank You!
Xcode is not really a web development environment although it does support Ruby and Python syntax highlighting so there is nothing stopping you on that front. You can even use C or C++ to write CGI scripts if you are feeling brave.

But back to your original question, yes Xcode will show you any errors when you build your project.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
onqun
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Xcode is not really a web development environment although it does support Ruby and Python syntax highlighting so there is nothing stopping you on that front. You can even use C or C++ to write CGI scripts if you are feeling brave.

But back to your original question, yes Xcode will show you any errors when you build your project.
Would you tell me how am I going to open a HTML project, and how am i going to build and view it?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:44 AM   #4
lee1210
macrumors 68040

You're going to need to be much more specific about what you're trying to do to get an informed response, here. HTML isn't compiled, so build doesn't really make sense here...

Are you building a dynamic site with ruby on rails, and have ruby, html, javascript, css, etc. resources?

Are you just authoring static pages, and just have html, javascript, and css?

What errors are you wanting to have flagged? Javascript syntax errors? Things that aren't valid XHTML?

Give us more information, and hopefully then we can do the same.

-Lee
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
onqun
macrumors member

Hey, I want to see my page when I add something, like in dreamweaver you split the screen, so that i dont open the safari everytime I add something to my page. For errors, I want to see if I forgot to close something or not.

would you also tell me How am i going to create an HTML file and check for error?

Last edited by kainjow; Aug 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: merged posts
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:07 PM   #6
GorillaPaws
macrumors 6502a

You might want to check out Panic Software's Coda app. It's $99 though, so that may be outside of your budget (I believe it has a free trial).
GorillaPaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:43 PM   #7
lee1210
macrumors 68040

You should probably just google around for WYSIWYG editors on OS X. This blog post lists a number, some free, some for-pay:
http://www.silvermac.com/2007/wysiwy...-for-mac-os-x/

It is a bit out of date, but again, google around and you should find what you need.

-Lee

EDIT: Now that what you need is clear, the web programming forum would have been a better place to post this.

Last edited by lee1210; Aug 27, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 02:32 PM   #8
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

Note: Xcode can be used to make hybrid web apps on the iPhone, if desired. Hybrid refers to apps that use the web API if your app requuires that.
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 06:48 AM   #9
mcbade
macrumors newbie

Would you like to elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrWebDeveloper View Post
Note: Xcode can be used to make hybrid web apps on the iPhone, if desired. Hybrid refers to apps that use the web API if your app requuires that.
I know this is an old post and I know I am new to xcode, but if you or someone would patiently explain how this might be a helpful way to peruse coding webpages in xcode?

Is there any way to code web based apps with xcode - maybe along the line of how .NET (yuk) is used to do such things?

Maybe some links that address these questions in a specific way?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
mcbade is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development