Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Lucas111
macrumors newbie

Afloat alternative? - Snow Leopard

Hi All,

So I just got Snow Leopard in the mail, and I must say its all going pretty well so far. Except that the program Afloat isn't Snow Leopard compatible.

I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative program that has the same/similar functionality to Afloat but is compatible with Snow Leopard?

I just want to be able to keep a Quicktime X or Quicktime 7 window floating above all over windows.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:00 AM   #2
realfx
macrumors member

Awesome!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Lucas111
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfx View Post
Awesome!
Awesome as in that I've gotten Snow Leopard? Awesome as in that's a program that can do what I'm looking for? Or just a un-constructive Awesome?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:38 AM   #4
realfx
macrumors member

Niether, was posting in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.
Have you found anything.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:24 AM   #5
Jimmetry
macrumors member

Bump. Also searching for this.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 08:46 AM   #6
mysterytramp
macrumors 65816

Mercury Mover?

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be anything on the developer's web site about SL compatibility and the last blog entry was from March. And unlike Afloat, it costs ... $20. Maybe not a good alternative.

mt
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:07 PM   #7
JustinG87
macrumors member

I've emailed the guy behind Afloat, and he seems intent on making it available for 10.6. May take a bit, but I'm willing to wait. It's a good program.
JustinG87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8
siphyn87
macrumors newbie

This is very odd that he says it isn't compatible with snow leopard. I ran afloat in leopard and when I upgraded to snow leopard my afloat continues to work just fine. I did however have to disable plugsuit to avoid errors that plugsuit would produce, but even with plugsuit disabled afloat continues to work just fine so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Maybe just try installing afloat anyway and see if it works, either that or maybe I'm just one of the few that have it working on SL.
siphyn87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Marecki
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphyn87 View Post
This is very odd that he says it isn't compatible with snow leopard. I ran afloat in leopard and when I upgraded to snow leopard my afloat continues to work just fine. I did however have to disable plugsuit to avoid errors that plugsuit would produce, but even with plugsuit disabled afloat continues to work just fine so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Maybe just try installing afloat anyway and see if it works, either that or maybe I'm just one of the few that have it working on SL.
Same here. Afloat 2.1.1 works without a hassle out-of-the-box after upgrade to SL.
Marecki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Hermoon
macrumors newbie

Does it work for 64 bit programs like quicktime x and quicktime 7?
Hermoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:17 AM   #11
jwlondon
macrumors newbie

I'm running Snow Leopard v10.6.6 - Afloat works fine with Quicktime 10 and Google Chrome but not Firefox 4
jwlondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 02:06 PM   #12
c.breeze
macrumors newbie

I would really like to see Afloat play nice with Adium. That was the main use I had for Afloat, turning my chat window opaque when not in use... Is there really no alternative to Afloat for Lion OSX?

Last edited by c.breeze; May 18, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
c.breeze is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store