Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigdaddymac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
New York
I'm trying to spruce up a 14" iBook G4 that our family has been using. I've re-installed OS X, wiped the hard drive, and ordered a new battery.

The machine is running much better now, but the touchpad is a problem. We've been using a wireless USB mouse, as the touchpad has been unresponsive/erratic. I used iKlear to clean it, and it suddenly worked like a charm. However, about 24 hour later, the touchpad stopped working. I cleaned it with iKlear, and it began working again. The same pattern has developed for several days in a row.

Today the cleaning trick wouldn't work, and the touchpad remained unresponsive. However, it is now working perfectly again.

Any ideas on what this might be? I took it to Tekserve, and they ran a lot of tests on it and felt it wasn't the logic board. They suggested reinstalling OS X, which I did, but that hasn't help keep the touchpad's behavior consistent.

I'm not looking to invest a lot more into this iBook. But should I buy a new touchpad and install? Or is there something else we could try? Some other way to clean it? Software ideas?

Thanks!

bigdaddymac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
New York
Have you checked that the trackpad connector is firmly connected to the logic board?

That is a very good thought. I'm surprised Tekserve didn't suggest it! I guess the only way to do that is to take the iBook apart, yes? Having never done this, is it terribly difficult? And if I do it, is there anything else I should check while I've got the top off?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
That is a very good thought. I'm surprised Tekserve didn't suggest it! I guess the only way to do that is to take the iBook apart, yes? Having never done this, is it terribly difficult? And if I do it, is there anything else I should check while I've got the top off?

You don't have to take apart very much of the iBook, it's actually very easy. Here's a guide to help you, the guide is for the keyboard, although the trackpad connector is right next to it. Here is a picture of the trackpad connector. Another thing to check would be the trackpad connector itself, make sure that there are no loose wires, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.