Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:18 PM   #1
BWhaler
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
20" or 23" Display???

I have purchased a new 20" display which is due to be delivered at the end of the month.

But I am starting to have buyers remorse, mainly since I want to be happy with the display for 4-5 years. I think the biggest thing I am concerned about is the lack of HighDef.

Don't get me wrong, I don't need the bigger display today. I use my Mac for using Office and iApps work, and 20" should be more than enough. (It's why I selected it.)

But, is the 22" a better buy for the future? With HD and a bigger size, it may be better if I get into video editing for home movies?

Also, I don't want a monster display on my desk, but with the small bevels now maybe it won't be as formidable as the old displays.

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any advice you have. I'm not looking for a reason to drop 700 more bucks, but I can't stop wondering.

Thanks,

--BW
BWhaler is offline   0
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:27 PM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
I have the 'old' 20", and it works great for me. It's a fantastic monitor, and the new one is even better. HD isn't going to look terrible on it - it's just (maybe) going to get scaled down, the same way DVDs get scaled up on it now.

Also, many of the video pros in this forum tend to recommend multiple monitors for video work, so that $700 you save could go a long way towards a nice 17"-20" secondary monitor, which would give you more total pixels than the one 23".

That said, the 23" is, obviously, bigger. Noticeably bigger. With more screen real estate for looking at docs in higher res. If you watch movies, they'll look better. True HD. You scroll less when web surfing. But - is that worth $700? Hard to say.

Basically, day-to-day, you won't miss the 23" if you get the 20" (not to say you wouldn't prefer it, just that you won't spend your days wondering why in god's name you didn't buy it). If you never watch movies on it, but tend to edit them on it, you'll probably be happier with two smaller displays for about the same price as the 23".

And if all you want to do is edit home movies... the 20" will be just fine.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:45 PM   #3
JOD8FY
macrumors 6502a
 
JOD8FY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: United States
Stay with the 20". With the 23", you'll be taxing your GPU more and the HD in most cases will hardly be noticeable.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY
__________________
1 Ghz PowerBook G4 12" : 768 MB RAM : 40 GB HD : 32 MB VRAM
20" ACD : Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse : Final Cut Studio
Tiger 10.4.10
JOD8FY is offline   0
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:30 PM   #4
ChrisFromCanada
macrumors 65816
 
ChrisFromCanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
I don't think you are going to be making home HD movies any time soon (or in the next few years) as the cheapest consumer HD camera is over $4000.

For home movies you will probably go DV which at native resolution only takes up about 1/4 of my 17" screen (720 x 480?).

If you were thinking about HDTV or HD movies on it you will probably find it inconvenient on a computer.

I have done tons of movies (for non-profit orginazitions) on my 17" and 15" before that. So, you are in great shape!!!
__________________
Powermac G5 - Dual 2.5 GHz
SR Macbook Pro - 2.2GHz
Xbox 360
30GB iPod Video
Sony DCR-PC105
ChrisFromCanada is offline   0
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:32 PM   #5
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhaler
I have purchased a new 20" display which is due to be delivered at the end of the month.

But I am starting to have buyers remorse, mainly since I want to be happy with the display for 4-5 years. I think the biggest thing I am concerned about is the lack of HighDef.

Don't get me wrong, I don't need the bigger display today. I use my Mac for using Office and iApps work, and 20" should be more than enough. (It's why I selected it.)

But, is the 22" a better buy for the future? With HD and a bigger size, it may be better if I get into video editing for home movies?

Also, I don't want a monster display on my desk, but with the small bevels now maybe it won't be as formidable as the old displays.

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any advice you have. I'm not looking for a reason to drop 700 more bucks, but I can't stop wondering.

Thanks,

--BW
The highest resolution fixed pixel HDTV monitor has 1366 x 768 pixels. Your 20" monitor has 1680 x 1050 pixels. It won't match the 23" or the 30" monitors, but it is more than adequate to edit HD content.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:10 AM   #6
Cooknn
macrumors 68020
 
Cooknn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromCanada
I don't think you are going to be making home HD movies any time soon (or in the next few years) as the cheapest consumer HD camera is over $4000.
JVC's GR-HD1 Hi-Def Camcorder is only US$2195 at B&H. I'll be going with the 23" Cinema Display and doing HD Video editing much sooner than even I expected.
Cooknn is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:21 AM   #7
ChrisFromCanada
macrumors 65816
 
ChrisFromCanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooknn
JVC's GR-HD1 Hi-Def Camcorder is only US$2195 at B&H. I'll be going with the 23" Cinema Display and doing HD Video editing much sooner than even I expected.
That actually pretty cool to hear. Sorry I was talking in Canadian dollars here as that is how much it is a my local camera shop.

Still, if this guy is saying "if I get into video editing for home movies" it is most likely that he will end up with a $500-$1000 camera.

Damn the HD1 looks nice. When you get it could you do a little review or post some footage?

EDIT: Psst.

http://www.infinitycameras.com/viewi...p?IndexID=3783
__________________
Powermac G5 - Dual 2.5 GHz
SR Macbook Pro - 2.2GHz
Xbox 360
30GB iPod Video
Sony DCR-PC105

Last edited by ChrisFromCanada; Jul 7, 2004 at 10:23 AM. Reason: price
ChrisFromCanada is offline   0
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:59 AM   #8
Cooknn
macrumors 68020
 
Cooknn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromCanada
Damn the HD1 looks nice. When you get it could you do a little review or post some footage?
Heh. It's in the future for me. Gotta pay off the forthcoming 23" Cinema first. I just recently picked up a Panasonic 3CCD Camcorder (PV-GS200) which provided the most "bang for the buck" in my price range. The JVC HD1 only has 1 CCD and although the price is good, I'm going to wait for a 3 CCD HD Camera that is less than $1500. May be a year, but I think I can wait!
Cooknn is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBA 11" daisy chain 30" + 27" mini display port cinema display sffa MacBook Air 1 Apr 24, 2014 02:39 AM
Resolved: 13" MacBook Pro Retina not display "switch user" after sleep mtbdudex MacBook Pro 1 Mar 1, 2014 01:46 PM
Question on Apples Old 27" cinema display (DVI) vrs New 27" Thunderbolt display between2tides Mac Peripherals 5 Feb 28, 2014 11:40 AM
Need advice on upgrading from 11" MBA+24" LED Display to 27" iMac Kenzembo1 Buying Tips and Advice 1 Jul 22, 2013 06:06 PM
Microsoft announces: "Surface" tablet 10.6" display, 9.3mm thin, USB on board saintforlife iPad 68 Jun 18, 2012 08:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC