Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1
albigularis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Talking My thoughts on my new MBA...

Hi,
I just got a new rev b 1.6 ghZ MBA at BestBuy for $979. I was actually in the market for a 2.13 ssd, my mom has one, but after comparing the two, I realized the speed difference is not that great when it comes to the tasks I'll be doing(Safari, Pages, Hulu Desktop, and Spore) for me to shell out the extra $800-900. The battery is great, I have been getting 5-6 hours average, which I find to be highly unusual. It plays Spore wonderfully, all that's wrong is the fans get kinda loud. No overheating at all. No stuttering at all when playing Hulu desktop. Overall, its perfect for my needs. I absolutely love the form factor, it is so much better than lugging around my 15" MBP. Actually, I prefer it to my MBP, although I still need it for heavy gaming and video editing. I would recommend this MBA to anyone I know.
albigularis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Scottsdale
macrumors 601
 
Scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albigularis View Post
Hi,
I just got a new rev b 1.6 ghZ MBA at BestBuy for $979. I was actually in the market for a 2.13 ssd, my mom has one, but after comparing the two, I realized the speed difference is not that great when it comes to the tasks I'll be doing(Safari, Pages, Hulu Desktop, and Spore) for me to shell out the extra $800-900. The battery is great, I have been getting 5-6 hours average, which I find to be highly unusual. It plays Spore wonderfully, all that's wrong is the fans get kinda loud. No overheating at all. No stuttering at all when playing Hulu desktop. Overall, its perfect for my needs. I absolutely love the form factor, it is so much better than lugging around my 15" MBP. Actually, I prefer it to my MBP, although I still need it for heavy gaming and video editing. I would recommend this MBA to anyone I know.
I would have to COMPLETELY disagree with you and your speed analogies. At least you have an Nvidia GPU.

I don't understand why people will not consider a refurbished 1.86/128 GB SSD from Apple.com for $1349. For me, the $350 is the biggest bargain in the history of Apple Mac computers for a 128 GB SSD in addition to the CPU bump which is not only helpful now, but in the FUTURE!

Read let's say iTunes and what HD video playback requires, 2 GHz!!! The reason fans go blowing and CPU gets hit is the lower the clock speed CPU harder it is for video playback. Even simple Flash is hard on a Mac's CPU.

The bottom line is a year down the road, many apps are going to be requiring 2 GHz clock speed.

Not to rain on your parade, congrats on your MBA. I just think you have missed some of the true differences between the versions you and your mom have... and you have missed the true price differences... and long term value for the extra money.
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:32 AM   #3
ob81
macrumors 65816
 
ob81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
I would have to COMPLETELY disagree with you and your speed analogies. At least you have an Nvidia GPU.

I don't understand why people will not consider a refurbished 1.86/128 GB SSD from Apple.com for $1349. For me, the $350 is the biggest bargain in the history of Apple Mac computers for a 128 GB SSD in addition to the CPU bump which is not only helpful now, but in the FUTURE!

Read let's say iTunes and what HD video playback requires, 2 GHz!!! The reason fans go blowing and CPU gets hit is the lower the clock speed CPU harder it is for video playback. Even simple Flash is hard on a Mac's CPU.

The bottom line is a year down the road, many apps are going to be requiring 2 GHz clock speed.

Not to rain on your parade, congrats on your MBA. I just think you have missed some of the true differences between the versions you and your mom have... and you have missed the true price differences... and long term value for the extra money.
Yeah the whole sub 2ghz thing in a laptop (when will we collectively call this thing an expensive netbook) is odd to me. I wouldn't purchase one myself, and you hit it on the head: A sub 2ghz MBA fits the bill for the people that buy them. Currently. We all know this though.

To put this into perspective-

The op already has a MBP. People that can afford to buy a MBP and a MBA are not really worried about the whole future thing, as they will just get a new one anyway. Even though the resell value is horrible (doubt anyone could get a good price for their REV A MBA or B for that matter).
__________________
MBA 13" | iPhone 5 | iPad mini |
www.twitter.com/ob81
ob81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:34 AM   #4
throttlemeister
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Netherlands
You gotta love it when you're all excited and happy about and with your new toy people come piss on your parade.
__________________
Macbook Pro 2.93 | 8GB | 120GB OWC Extreme Pro + 320GB/7200rpm | 24" LED Cinema Screen
Macbook Pro Retina 2.7 | 16GB | 512MB Flash | 1TB Crucial SSD external over Thunderbolt
throttlemeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:33 AM   #5
albigularis
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
I would have to COMPLETELY disagree with you and your speed analogies. At least you have an Nvidia GPU.

I don't understand why people will not consider a refurbished 1.86/128 GB SSD from Apple.com for $1349. For me, the $350 is the biggest bargain in the history of Apple Mac computers for a 128 GB SSD in addition to the CPU bump which is not only helpful now, but in the FUTURE!

Read let's say iTunes and what HD video playback requires, 2 GHz!!! The reason fans go blowing and CPU gets hit is the lower the clock speed CPU harder it is for video playback. Even simple Flash is hard on a Mac's CPU.

The bottom line is a year down the road, many apps are going to be requiring 2 GHz clock speed.

Not to rain on your parade, congrats on your MBA. I just think you have missed some of the true differences between the versions you and your mom have... and you have missed the true price differences... and long term value for the extra money.
I'm just saying that when it comes to the simple tasks I'm using it for, the speed difference does not make spending the extra money worth it. And if in a year down the road it no longer meets my needs, so what, I'll buy something that does. Money isn't really the issue. It's just that I don't think it's worth it to spend the money when I won't be using the extra power. For me, it's just a great little computer to take to Starbucks or throw in a bag and take to class. From your other posts(Scotsdale), I realize that you use your MBA as your primary computer, which is not the case with me. I have a beefed up MBP or Mac Pro if I need to do any serious work.

Regards
albigularis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:48 AM   #6
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
congrats on your buy!! im glad you like it! the battery performance is really great!

not a bad price either.
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:47 AM   #7
Gadgetman99
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by albigularis View Post
I'm just saying that when it comes to the simple tasks I'm using it for, the speed difference does not make spending the extra money worth it. And if in a year down the road it no longer meets my needs, so what, I'll buy something that does. Money isn't really the issue. It's just that I don't think it's worth it to spend the money when I won't be using the extra power. For me, it's just a great little computer to take to Starbucks or throw in a bag and take to class. From your other posts(Scotsdale), I realize that you use your MBA as your primary computer, which is not the case with me. I have a beefed up MBP or Mac Pro if I need to do any serious work.

Regards
If it does what you want, and you like it, enjoy, end of story. I like my 1.6 rev B as well. No matter how you look at it, with a 1.6 dual core CPU, you have a leg (or two) up on anyone with a netbook. I guarantee, if you are in a coffee shop, airport or any public place using your MBA, and someone with a large, heavy laptop, or a small, light netbook is nearby, they will be looking at your MBA with envy. As several people have mentioned, the MBA is not intended as a desktop replacement, but rather a full blown Mac (not a netbook or compromise), that happens to be very portable (and stylish BTW). At some point, I will get a 1.8+ with SSD, but for now, I am happy. On another note, if you are within your 14 days from purchase, take your reciept back to Best Buy and have them refund to you the differeance from what you paid, and what the price drop is now. I paid $950 last weekend for my MBA, and just took the reciept back in yesterday to get $110 back due to the new price ($839). If it drops again this coming week, then I will go get more back. I feel pretty good about getting a new MBA rev B for $839 (but will feel even better if I get it for less in the end).
__________________
Macbook Air rev B, 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD
Gadgetman99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:17 AM   #8
ob81
macrumors 65816
 
ob81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman99 View Post
If it does what you want, and you like it, enjoy, end of story. I like my 1.6 rev B as well. No matter how you look at it, with a 1.6 dual core CPU, you have a leg (or two) up on anyone with a netbook. I guarantee, if you are in a coffee shop, airport or any public place using your MBA, and someone with a large, heavy laptop, or a small, light netbook is nearby, they will be looking at your MBA with envy. As several people have mentioned, the MBA is not intended as a desktop replacement, but rather a full blown Mac (not a netbook or compromise), that happens to be very portable (and stylish BTW). At some point, I will get a 1.8+ with SSD, but for now, I am happy. On another note, if you are within your 14 days from purchase, take your reciept back to Best Buy and have them refund to you the differeance from what you paid, and what the price drop is now. I paid $950 last weekend for my MBA, and just took the reciept back in yesterday to get $110 back due to the new price ($839). If it drops again this coming week, then I will go get more back. I feel pretty good about getting a new MBA rev B for $839 (but will feel even better if I get it for less in the end).
$839 is an AMAZING price. I think the MBA would have been better if it was introduced somewhere around that price. The introductory price was ridiculous though.

Side note - at introduction, for 6-8 times more than a traditional netbook, you better have a mile up on a $200 netbook.
I saw very few MBA in the wild when they came out. When I did, I never felt envy. I laughed a little on the inside. For $839 though, I am about to check them out myself. Can't beat damn near over 50% off.
__________________
MBA 13" | iPhone 5 | iPad mini |
www.twitter.com/ob81
ob81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:21 AM   #9
MikePA
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister View Post
You gotta love it when you're all excited and happy about and with your new toy people come piss on your parade.
People that do this believe their opinion isn't opinion, it's fact therefore if you disagree with them, you're wrong.

OP - Glad you're happy with your MBA.
MikePA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:40 AM   #10
tofagerl
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2006
If you want an SSD, get one of the new Intel rev.2 80gbs. They're much faster than the 128gbs Apple're selling, and you're paying less for them.
tofagerl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:52 AM   #11
Gadgetman99
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
$839 is an AMAZING price. I think the MBA would have been better if it was introduced somewhere around that price. The introductory price was ridiculous though.

Side note - at introduction, for 6-8 times more than a traditional netbook, you better have a mile up on a $200 netbook.
I saw very few MBA in the wild when they came out. When I did, I never felt envy. I laughed a little on the inside. For $839 though, I am about to check them out myself. Can't beat damn near over 50% off.
For me, it was a no-brainer. I sold my netbook for $290 and the Dell will be on ebay soon for around $900, so for me, an MBA for under $900 is really not possible to pass up. And as I mentioned, the $840 might be even less by next weekend if they drop the price again. If not, I still feel like I got a bargain on this sexy beast of a machine
__________________
Macbook Air rev B, 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD
Gadgetman99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 07:38 AM   #12
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God
 
entatlrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
I would have to COMPLETELY disagree with you and your speed analogies. At least you have an Nvidia GPU.

I don't understand why people will not consider a refurbished 1.86/128 GB SSD from Apple.com for $1349. For me, the $350 is the biggest bargain in the history of Apple Mac computers for a 128 GB SSD in addition to the CPU bump which is not only helpful now, but in the FUTURE!

Read let's say iTunes and what HD video playback requires, 2 GHz!!! The reason fans go blowing and CPU gets hit is the lower the clock speed CPU harder it is for video playback. Even simple Flash is hard on a Mac's CPU.

The bottom line is a year down the road, many apps are going to be requiring 2 GHz clock speed.

Not to rain on your parade, congrats on your MBA. I just think you have missed some of the true differences between the versions you and your mom have... and you have missed the true price differences... and long term value for the extra money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
People that do this believe their opinion isn't opinion, it's fact therefore if you disagree with them, you're wrong.

OP - Glad you're happy with your MBA.
yes, it's TOO MUCH.... regulars here are used to it .... newer people are put off no doubt ...
__________________
iPhone 5S, iPad Air, 13" rMBP, Mac Pro
Line 2 -G Nexus, HTC One X, GS III, HTC One S, Nexus 4, BB Z10, HTC ONE, BBQ10 back to HTC ONE
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Scottsdale
macrumors 601
 
Scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albigularis View Post
I'm just saying that when it comes to the simple tasks I'm using it for, the speed difference does not make spending the extra money worth it. And if in a year down the road it no longer meets my needs, so what, I'll buy something that does. Money isn't really the issue. It's just that I don't think it's worth it to spend the money when I won't be using the extra power.
Regards
The money DOES matter contrary to your post. I don't care if you're not using as primary Mac. Bottom line is the money is well worth it for much greater performance. You are going to be waiting on your MBA literally 5x as much for common tasks. If you look at the value, you have completely missed the differences between them.

The money doesn't matter to replace it so you will buy an out of date model every year for 65% of cost for a model that would last three years. You're going to spend 97% more money over time AND constantly stay behind the technology curve!

I don't believe the money isn't the problem, as otherwise you're chasing to be behind the curve. That is what I don't understand about someone paying 65% of the cost to buy technology that is from a year ago and is outdated looking just one year into the future.
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:13 PM   #14
puma1552
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
I would have to COMPLETELY disagree with you and your speed analogies. At least you have an Nvidia GPU.

I don't understand why people will not consider a refurbished 1.86/128 GB SSD from Apple.com for $1349. For me, the $350 is the biggest bargain in the history of Apple Mac computers for a 128 GB SSD in addition to the CPU bump which is not only helpful now, but in the FUTURE!

Read let's say iTunes and what HD video playback requires, 2 GHz!!! The reason fans go blowing and CPU gets hit is the lower the clock speed CPU harder it is for video playback. Even simple Flash is hard on a Mac's CPU.

The bottom line is a year down the road, many apps are going to be requiring 2 GHz clock speed.

Not to rain on your parade, congrats on your MBA. I just think you have missed some of the true differences between the versions you and your mom have... and you have missed the true price differences... and long term value for the extra money.
Scottsdale, give it a rest. Not everyone needs to cream themselves over a middle-of-the-road SSD, nor does everyone need it nor want it especially with the Apple Tax involved.

And not everyone wants refurbished either, despite having a rigorous testing policy and cheaper prices. I personally would never, ever buy a computer refurbished of all things, and a refurbished one is surely cheaper at the onset, but also sells for a lot less second hand later on, so in that case there's no reason not to just buy new because you'll probably be out the same amount of money in the end.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:25 AM   #15
puma1552
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
The money DOES matter contrary to your post. I don't care if you're not using as primary Mac. Bottom line is the money is well worth it for much greater performance. You are going to be waiting on your MBA literally 5x as much for common tasks. If you look at the value, you have completely missed the differences between them.

The money doesn't matter to replace it so you will buy an out of date model every year for 65% of cost for a model that would last three years. You're going to spend 97% more money over time AND constantly stay behind the technology curve!

I don't believe the money isn't the problem, as otherwise you're chasing to be behind the curve. That is what I don't understand about someone paying 65% of the cost to buy technology that is from a year ago and is outdated looking just one year into the future.
Different priorities for different people.

What does it matter if it's a 1.6 or 2.1 model, or HDD or SSD? Neither processor will probably ever see the top of what it's capable of, and SSD won't matter for his uses; my HDD Rev. B shuts down in less than five seconds, even nine months after purchasing it. I couldn't care less about one bounce in the dock vs. 3-4 bounces at the cost of the better half of a grand. Most people probably feel the same, if they are buying their Air as a secondary computer as it's intended to be anyway.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:16 AM   #16
ob81
macrumors 65816
 
ob81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Different priorities for different people.

What does it matter if it's a 1.6 or 2.1 model, or HDD or SSD? Neither processor will probably ever see the top of what it's capable of, and SSD won't matter for his uses; my HDD Rev. B shuts down in less than five seconds, even nine months after purchasing it. I couldn't care less about one bounce in the dock vs. 3-4 bounces at the cost of the better half of a grand. Most people probably feel the same, if they are buying their Air as a secondary computer as it's intended to be anyway.

Ok, I have to agree with you here. Have I ever really needed a top of the line processor? Not being a general consumer user. Do I need an SSD? Nah. The whole opening apps fast thing never won me over. My desktop operates faster than my laptop, and I have always been content with that.

Where we may separate is that I take all of these as reasons not to purchase the air in the first place. BUT for the cheap prices that are out there these days for the Rev. B, it really wouldn't hurt as much as buying a new version.

My gripe with the Air has always been price.
__________________
MBA 13" | iPhone 5 | iPad mini |
www.twitter.com/ob81
ob81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:18 PM   #17
sanPietro98
macrumors 6502a
 
sanPietro98's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 28.416834,-81.581214
Congrats on your new MBA. The whole MBA vs. MBP vs. MB debate has been raging here since Steve Jobs pulled the MBA out of the envelope. It will continue as long as the MBA line is being sold.

Enjoy it, it's a great machine.
__________________
"The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique." -Walt Disney
sanPietro98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:40 PM   #18
Scottsdale
macrumors 601
 
Scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: U.S.A.
I just don't understand someone who says money is not a problem they will just buy another one. People who do that truly spend more money over the long run and keep well behind the technology curve.

The argument is senseless for someone who truly has the money. Now, if you don't have the money and you absolutely want an MBA, I can understand the compromise for an HDD or 1.6... but people who do have the money and lie to themselves about the true savings now and how they will replace later spend MORE money and NEVER catch up to the current always 'saving' money to be behind while spending more money overall and wasting their lives doing such.

Time is NOT on our side. Life is short. We have a finite time to do thing during our life. I prefer to not wait on things if I can afford financially not to.

I just don't believe the argument the OP is making. If he/she doesn't have the money that's fine. But to brag about just buying another and another when outdated wears out or is no longer fast enough seems rather senseless to me!
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:50 PM   #19
albigularis
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
I just don't understand someone who says money is not a problem they will just buy another one. People who do that truly spend more money over the long run and keep well behind the technology curve.

The argument is senseless for someone who truly has the money. Now, if you don't have the money and you absolutely want an MBA, I can understand the compromise for an HDD or 1.6... but people who do have the money and lie to themselves about the true savings now and how they will replace later spend MORE money and NEVER catch up to the current always 'saving' money to be behind while spending more money overall and wasting their lives doing such.

Time is NOT on our side. Life is short. We have a finite time to do thing during our life. I prefer to not wait on things if I can afford financially not to.

I just don't believe the argument the OP is making. If he/she doesn't have the money that's fine. But to brag about just buying another and another when outdated wears out or is no longer fast enough seems rather senseless to me!
You obviously did not read my post correctly, I said that if it does not meet my needs I will replace it, and my needs right now are fairly basic. You exaggerate(in my opinion) the difference in speed between a ssd and a hd. In another post, you say "The HDD is absolutely MISERABLE in the MBA. Do NOT buy an HDD MBA... you're better off with ANYTHING ELSE. I would rather carry around twice the weight than to have an MBA with HDD." That is the biggest pile of BS ever. You should not shove your opinion about HD's down everyone's throat just because you had a bad experience with one. You're word is not gospel, it is opinion. You seem to be very passionate about this subject, which I respect. But honestly, I could care less about a 5 second difference in start time, or a 3 second difference in app launch time, so I do not think that difference in speed is worth another $300-400. I think that many other people feel the same way as me.
albigularis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:16 PM   #20
caonimadebi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by albigularis View Post
You obviously did not read my post correctly, I said that if it does not meet my needs I will replace it, and my needs right now are fairly basic. You exaggerate(in my opinion) the difference in speed between a ssd and a hd. In another post, you say "The HDD is absolutely MISERABLE in the MBA. Do NOT buy an HDD MBA... you're better off with ANYTHING ELSE. I would rather carry around twice the weight than to have an MBA with HDD." That is the biggest pile of BS ever. You should not shove your opinion about HD's down everyone's throat just because you had a bad experience with one. You're word is not gospel, it is opinion. You seem to be very passionate about this subject, which I respect. But honestly, I could care less about a 5 second difference in start time, or a 3 second difference in app launch time, so I do not think that difference in speed is worth another $300-400. I think that many other people feel the same way as me.
Amen
caonimadebi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:37 PM   #21
fr4c
macrumors 65816
 
fr4c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamster wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofagerl View Post
If you want an SSD, get one of the new Intel rev.2 80gbs. They're much faster than the 128gbs Apple're selling, and you're paying less for them.
Except for the fact that they won't work with the MBA.
__________________
And that's the way the cookie crumbles.
fr4c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:05 AM   #22
Scottsdale
macrumors 601
 
Scottsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albigularis View Post
You obviously did not read my post correctly, I said that if it does not meet my needs I will replace it, and my needs right now are fairly basic. You exaggerate(in my opinion) the difference in speed between a ssd and a hd. In another post, you say "The HDD is absolutely MISERABLE in the MBA. Do NOT buy an HDD MBA... you're better off with ANYTHING ELSE. I would rather carry around twice the weight than to have an MBA with HDD." That is the biggest pile of BS ever. You should not shove your opinion about HD's down everyone's throat just because you had a bad experience with one. You're word is not gospel, it is opinion. You seem to be very passionate about this subject, which I respect. But honestly, I could care less about a 5 second difference in start time, or a 3 second difference in app launch time, so I do not think that difference in speed is worth another $300-400. I think that many other people feel the same way as me.
Sure I read your post. You can go read xBench results if you don't believe me. Better yet, test your Mommy's MBA against your own... LMAO! It's a HUGE difference. NIGHT AND DAY!

My OPINION is MINE. You cannot change it by crying foul or whining about it. It's not just about apps starting fast, and the startup difference is more than DOUBLE in an HDD than an SSD. I know I tested mine against an HDD less than two weeks ago. It took my SSD just over 21 seconds. It took the HDD a full MINUTE! How is that five seconds? Tell me how that's five seconds? Have you changed the gears on your watch to make yourself feel better about your purchase?

You will be waiting on your MBA night and day... to save $350 you supposedly had but it's not worth to you. Life is too short. We have a finite time here, so wherever I can save WORK TIME I do.

For anyone out there wanting an MBA as a primary Mac, they should absolutely positively ONLY consider the SSD. See the price drops have happened already... it's not a $1500 difference, it's a $350 difference.

Enjoy your MBA, but don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about... I do. Don't tell me my MBA is five seconds faster to boot than yours, it's more like 40 seconds faster! Don't tell me it's one experience... IT'S NOT!

IT IS FACT!!! FACT FACT FACT! Do xBench or just test the two right next to each other since your Mom has chosen wisely and you have saved a few dollars which you did so you can buy another outdated model sooner and still be behind the tech curve!

Whatever!!!
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:12 PM   #23
albigularis
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
Sure I read your post. You can go read xBench results if you don't believe me. Better yet, test your Mommy's MBA against your own... LMAO! It's a HUGE difference. NIGHT AND DAY!

My OPINION is MINE. You cannot change it by crying foul or whining about it. It's not just about apps starting fast, and the startup difference is more than DOUBLE in an HDD than an SSD. I know I tested mine against an HDD less than two weeks ago. It took my SSD just over 21 seconds. It took the HDD a full MINUTE! How is that five seconds? Tell me how that's five seconds? Have you changed the gears on your watch to make yourself feel better about your purchase?

You will be waiting on your MBA night and day... to save $350 you supposedly had but it's not worth to you. Life is too short. We have a finite time here, so wherever I can save WORK TIME I do.

For anyone out there wanting an MBA as a primary Mac, they should absolutely positively ONLY consider the SSD. See the price drops have happened already... it's not a $1500 difference, it's a $350 difference.

Enjoy your MBA, but don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about... I do. Don't tell me my MBA is five seconds faster to boot than yours, it's more like 40 seconds faster! Don't tell me it's one experience... IT'S NOT!

IT IS FACT!!! FACT FACT FACT! Do xBench or just test the two right next to each other since your Mom has chosen wisely and you have saved a few dollars which you did so you can buy another outdated model sooner and still be behind the tech curve!

Whatever!!!
That was the most childish post I've read in a while. BTW, my MBA starts in 36 seconds(time from when I press the power button to when I can launch an app). And that's beside the point(honestly, how many times do you start and restart your computer a day). Also, you are twisting my words yet again. First off, I never said you didn't know what you are talking about. That is actually the opposite of what I think of you. You are one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. And I never said I would buy an outdated model, and the Rev B 1.6 is not outdated in any way. An outdated computer would be an iBook. My MBA will be outdated when Apple changes the design drastically, which probably won't happen for another 2-3 years, considering the things they're supposedly working on(tablet, iPhone 4G, Apple TV 2.0, Verizon iPhone, just to name a few).

Secondly, waiting on my MBA day and night?! LMAO! Typical Scottsdale exaggeration...

And FYI, my Mom didn't make the right choice, I bought it for her for her b-day. So technically, I made the right choice.
albigularis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:57 PM   #24
puma1552
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Scottsdale--Relax.

So your MBA boots 40 seconds faster than someone else's and not five seconds faster. Big deal. That doesn't change the fact that 35 seconds isn't worth several hundred dollars to most users.

I'm also not quite sure why you mention people wasting money, when you have and will continue to upgrade your MBA at every single revision, and have been vocal about doing so.

Don't worry about it man. I'm using a Rev. B HDD right now, and I think it's a crappy computer compared to my 2.8 MBP. But I also used an SSD Rev. C for quite a while at the store, and still thought it was crappy.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:11 PM   #25
bmstrong
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman99 View Post
For me, it was a no-brainer. I sold my netbook for $290 and the Dell will be on ebay soon for around $900, so for me, an MBA for under $900 is really not possible to pass up. And as I mentioned, the $840 might be even less by next weekend if they drop the price again. If not, I still feel like I got a bargain on this sexy beast of a machine
This is the Best Buy price?
bmstrong is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on pushing MBA like this? ryan101 MacBook Air 10 Sep 25, 2013 03:58 PM
Ultimate MBA 13" - your thoughts? Scepticalscribe MacBook Air 7 Jan 7, 2013 03:22 PM
Thoughts about this 13" MBA Hammie MacBook Air 31 Nov 9, 2012 03:50 PM
Your Thoughts on MBA 11" (and What You Do) thriii MacBook Air 49 Oct 7, 2012 01:55 AM
Considering a MBA - Honest Thoughts? Sambo110 MacBook Air 18 Jun 27, 2012 03:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC