Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
I was at the Dallas Stars pre-season opener last night...thought I'd video Celena Ray singing the National Anthem....boy, did it turn out bad. The audio was very poor...with lots of pops like the mic being overwhelmed.....it's not that loud in the arena....maybe I expected too much?

wpc33

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Oh come now, I've heard dozens of live concert bootlegs, and I can tell you, you'd better have a good mic, a good recorder, a good position in a good venue w/good sound, if you wanna boot a show. People spend thousands on microphones. Elwood Blues even traded a Cadillac for one!
There's too much ambient noise(ie: tons) for a mic designed for more intimate use. I think recording audio in an arena w/iPod or cell mics, is like playing Halo with a toddler.
Try the mic on something a bit less overwhelming, and see if you like that.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You can't expect a device for convenience to have perfect sound without a specialized (and expensive) microphone.

Oh come now, I've heard dozens of live concert bootlegs, and I can tell you, you'd better have a good mic, a good recorder, a good position in a good venue w/good sound, if you wanna boot a show. People spend thousands on microphones. Elwood Blues even traded a Cadillac for one!
There's too much ambient noise(ie: tons) for a mic designed for more intimate use. I think recording audio in an arena w/iPod or cell mics, is like playing Halo with a toddler.
Try the mic on something a bit less overwhelming, and see if you like that.

Haha nice comparison.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Yeah, I figured I expected a bit much....start of the game isn't that loud though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.