Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:30 AM   #1
BDog
macrumors newbie

How many copies can a "popular" 99-cent app sell?

Hi all,

I am considering developing for the iPhone but I am trying to decide first how profitable it can be. Can anybody offer figures on how many downloads a "popular" 99 cent app can generate?

If an app catches on, is it reasonable to assume 10,000 downloads? How about 100,000? Again, I am talking about reasonably popular apps, priced at 99 cents or so.

I know it varies GREATLY but I'm just trying to get a rough idea before I invest my own money in development. I've read the app store has over 1 billion downloads to date but I assume the majority are free downloads. Does anybody know the ratio between free and paid downloads?

What is YOUR experience? Has anybody here achieved greater than 10,000 downloads from the app store?

Thanks in advance!
Barry
BDog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:16 PM   #2
firewood
macrumors 603

Define "popular".

Note that with over 50k paid apps in the store, the percentage of apps on the Main Top 100 Paid Apps list is around 0.002%. An app can be in the top 10% of popularity in category, and still nowhere on the charts.

ymmv.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000

With something like 30million iPhone OS devices, a popular app can sell up to 30 million copies.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 02:45 AM   #4
firewood
macrumors 603

You don't even need an iPhone OS device to buy apps. Anyone with an iTunes account could by a copy. That's over 75 million IIRC.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 02:47 AM   #5
sammich
macrumors 601

Well, Flight Control has recently sold over 1.5 million copies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
You don't even need an iPhone OS device to buy apps. Anyone with an iTunes account could by a copy. That's over 75 million IIRC.
100 million accounts on iTunes with Credit Cards as reported by Steve at the iPod Event.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming