Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngelDesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Hello People,

I am sure some one here has has this issue before. My Power Mac G5 Quad does not have a 5.1 sound card. I have been searching for a soundcard for my Power Mac G5 Quad and had NO LUCK. Some one told me to just buy a amp to hook up my Logitech Z-560 5.1 sounds speakers.

Does anyone know what is the best way to tackle this problem?
I don't understand why I can't find a Soundcard to take care of this problem.
It seems like it's just the Power Mac G5 Quad that have this issue.

Any experts out there please :(

Angel

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello People,

I am sure some one here has has this issue before. My Power Mac G5 Quad does not have a 5.1 sound card.

What kind of signal does the Z-560 accept? What kind of connectors are on the unit?

There is a very good chance you can use a USB or Firefire audio interface with the G5. Which one depends on answers to above.

AngelDesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Logitech Z-560 will not work on Power Mac G5 Quad

I know this is going to sound stupid but my Logitech z-560 speakers had 3 connectors that need to be hooked up. There is a Green connector, Pink connector and a Black connectors. My G5 only has one hook up for sound and that's about it. The connectors are just like a (example: earphones jack connectors.) Same deal. I hope I answered right.

Thank you so much for even replying to my thread!!! Thank you

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
I know this is going to sound stupid but my Logitech z-560 speakers had 3 connectors that need to be hooked up. There is a Green connector, Pink connector and a Black connectors. My G5 only has one hook up for sound and that's about it. ...

So what's the problem? Why do you need a sound card? Just connect the G5's output the the Logitech's input.

After suggesting a USB interface I just remembered that
I just happen to have a G4 tower that has an M-Audio card inside. I'd sell the card at "market value". But maybe M-Audio still has some?

So I look on the web and, it seems they have what yuo asked for. But why not just use the $2 cable?

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.new&ID=9bb8c6cb61392ab9b785ee01b645a739

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
I know this is going to sound stupid but my Logitech z-560 speakers had 3 connectors that need to be hooked up. There is a Green connector, Pink connector and a Black connectors. My G5 only has one hook up for sound and that's about it. The connectors are just like a (example: earphones jack connectors.) Same deal. I hope I answered right.

Thank you so much for even replying to my thread!!! Thank you

Sounds like you could simply use a cable. Connect the Mac's output to the speaker's input.

If not a USB audio interface would work

But I just remembered I have a G4 in a closet with a PCI Audio card inside. I'd sell the entire computer cheap and you could pull the card out. Or just the card if you want it, at "market price" But M-Audio may still sell these. Checking.....

Yes they do. This is what I have in my G4
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.new&ID=9bb8c6cb61392ab9b785ee01b645a739

But I think a $4 cable should work.

AngelDesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me REALLY!!!
I tried just connecting to my G5 but only 2 speakers and wolfer
work well. I have 5 speakers and wolfer that I want to work all
together. 5.1 surround sound. I also have a G4 that has an
M-Audio card that I tried to put into my G5. Does not fit not meant for
G5 Quad. So I guess I'll try the cable first if that does not work
then I would love to buy the soundcard M-Audio for a G5 Quad.

I tried all my options first before I came here this way I wouldn't sound
COMPLETELY STUPID :)

But my G5 only has that 1-input connection and that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.