Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:01 PM   #1
whyrichard
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to whyrichard
Airport Extreme needs Ritalin?

I just moved into a group house with DSL... and it seems that every component (DSL Modem, Router, and Airport) not has attention deficit disorder.

the Modem seems to need to be restarted everytime the telephone is used.

the Router seems to need to be restarted everytime the Modem does, plus when a mystical event happens in Cuppertino... or something....

and my Airport Extreme base station also needs to be restarted after all this, sometimes. but even stranger, it just seems to wonder. conncection to the base station, even though it is five feet from me rright now, seems to come and go for no apparent reason!

i am in an urban environment, but there is only one other base station within radio-shot....

any suggestions?

thank you in advance,

r.
whyrichard is offline   0
Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:24 PM   #2
N10248
macrumors 6502a

The DSL modem is resetting when the phone rings probably because of wrong placement of DSl filters, or somtimes really old phones cause problems with dsl (the old finger-dialer ones).

the modem resetting would cause its connection to the router to mess up to.
N10248 is offline   0
Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:36 PM   #3
thehuncamunca
macrumors 6502

you could just put all your networking equipment on the same surge protector and then when you need to restart everything just flip the switch on the surge protector to off and then on

but for a better fix, i'd contact your phone company and have them take a look at your DSL modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyrichard
I just moved into a group house with DSL... and it seems that every component (DSL Modem, Router, and Airport) not has attention deficit disorder.

the Modem seems to need to be restarted everytime the telephone is used.

the Router seems to need to be restarted everytime the Modem does, plus when a mystical event happens in Cuppertino... or something....

and my Airport Extreme base station also needs to be restarted after all this, sometimes. but even stranger, it just seems to wonder. conncection to the base station, even though it is five feet from me rright now, seems to come and go for no apparent reason!

i am in an urban environment, but there is only one other base station within radio-shot....

any suggestions?

thank you in advance,

r.
thehuncamunca@juno.com
thehuncamunca is offline   0
Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehuncamunca
you could just put all your networking equipment on the same surge protector and then when you need to restart everything just flip the switch on the surge protector to off and then on
That won't necessarily work. I built an enclosure for most of my networking devices and they're all on the same power strip. But turning them all on at the same time will have horrible results. If the AirPort is booted before the cable modem is connected then you have no internet. So in my case I have to boot the modem first, then the VoIP, then the AirPort. There's a hub in there too but it can be on any time.

I will agree with everyone about the DSL modem though. If it has a connection problem it will screw everything connected to it up and you'll have to restart everything. Since it gets messed up every time the phone rings then I'd suspect something wrong with the installation. Check with your provider.
Horrortaxi is offline   0
Old Jul 18, 2004, 05:45 PM   #5
seamuskrat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to seamuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to seamuskrat
Modem disruption + phone use = bad or missing filter. Check EVERy extension and make sure it has a DSL filter. If it does, then check the filter and replace each one with a new one until you find the bad one.

Router mess up = modem issues or 2.4 gig cordless phone Make sure no one has a 2.4 cordless nearby in the house

APE mess up = 2.4 cordless phone - see above.

You can trouble shoot. I bet someone added a phone without the filter. Or an answering machine.
seamuskrat is offline   0
Old Jul 19, 2004, 05:10 AM   #6
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamuskrat
Modem disruption + phone use = bad or missing filter. Check EVERy extension and make sure it has a DSL filter.
Or you can cheat like we did here - one filter, with all the phone lines branching off after filtering
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jul 19, 2004, 06:13 AM   #7
JFreak
macrumors 68040

is the router necessary in between dsl modem and airport? you know, airport can take both the dsl modem and router at the same time, there are different ports for them. i'd suggest you put router to the airport LAN port and dsl modem to airport WAN port, and you should be done with the router resets.

the dsl modem though needs a proper filter, or the phone might have to be changed to another model. ask your phone company for advice, they should know why dsl modems need a constant reboot.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers