Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiscoNole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I just got a new computer and want to copy the music from my iPhone to my iMac. The iMac has no music on it. When I try to sync it, it says that the playlist on the phone will be replaced by the playlist on the computer, which is empty. So I think I'll lose all the music on my phone. How do I just transfer it from my phone to the computer?

Sheeds

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Ottawa
If you still have your old iTunes from the computer you were using before, you can back up from that iTunes, and then import into your new computer. You can back up to disk, that's what I've used a few times, it's easy to do, but it takes awhile.

You could also opt for the very easy but costly method of buying a program such as Senuti. I bought it awhile back when my computer crashed but I still had all my music, playlists, ratings etc. on my iPod.

If you don't care about your playlists, ratings, playcount, album art, etc. if you follow this tutorial you'll get all your music back.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
So is there a way to transfer the songs to your new computer and keep the playlists, ratings, and the playcount? That would be very beneficial and something that I would like when I get a new computer.

Assares

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
1. Connect your Iphone

2. Open itunes

3.Click the square that is in the top to the right that says "Iphone"

4. Make sure you created a New Playlist on your Iphone

>>>How to make a Mew Playlist<<<

a. go to music

b. click playlist

c. + New Playlist

>>>>

5. You are gonna see a list of the music you already have on your Iphone

6. below that list it should say "Autofill from"

7. Click "Autofill from"

8. Your New Playlist should be on the list

9. Click you New List

10. Next to "Autofill from" there is gonna be "Settings" and "Autofill"

11. Click "Autofill"

12. It will select automatically the music you want...and leave out the ones you already have ( don't worry it won't delete your purchased ones on ur phone)

13. Make sure to go check you Iphone, go to the music icon and click the "New List" u already created and find the music you wanted to download

14. ENJOY

PCsmooth

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
If you still have your old iTunes from the computer you were using before, you can back up from that iTunes, and then import into your new computer. You can back up to disk, that's what I've used a few times, it's easy to do, but it takes awhile.

You could also opt for the very easy but costly method of buying a program such as Senuti. I bought it awhile back when my computer crashed but I still had all my music, playlists, ratings etc. on my iPod.

If you don't care about your playlists, ratings, playcount, album art, etc. if you follow this tutorial you'll get all your music back.

LuisaMoritz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015

Trust me, Senuti is not working on iPhone 5 and above.
Also, it's a commercial tool, you should try iTunes first!
It would be better to transfer music from iPhone to Mac with some other tool.

Last edited:

Kiyomi1

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Trust me, Senuti is not working on iPhone 5 and above.
Also, it's a commercial tool, you should try iTunes first!
It would be better to transfer music from iPhone to Mac with some other tool.
I use third party tools

Royljw

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2016
Is your old computer still there? If yes, just simply copy the iTunes library from the old computer to your new Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.