Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
EDIT [NOTICE]

When installing the Runcore, use the original LIF cable in the MBA with the piece of tape on it Apple used. Use the new LIF cable in the USB enclosure provided by Runcore. This ensures a better fit connection of the LIF cable. Also, it's sorta "bent" or "grooved" into place in the MBA, so leave the stock LIF cable in the MBA.

I upgraded my 2.13 GHz/2GB RAM MacBook Air v 2,1 (rev C) from a stock 128 GB SSD to a Runcore 128 GB SSD last week.

Stock SSD - I have been a champion of the MacBook Air and have advised many MBA buyers to upgrade to the SSD for much faster performance through normal use. I have loved my MacBook Air, and I have been happy with the performance. At the same time, I wished that a third party SSD was available with much faster read and write times than the stock SSD in the MBA. Well, I installed the Runcore 128 GB SSD, and my MacBook Air is now like a Super Mac with speed and performance unheard of from a MacBook Air. I noticed the performance improvements instantly and consistently during all normal tasks.

Simple to transfer files – Runcore makes it easy to transfer the files from your MBA to the new Runcore SSD. When you get your Runcore SSD included is an extra LIF cable, USB cable, and external case for your old drive/transferring files. First, you transfer the files from your old drive using the USB cable and external case.

Easy to install – Runcore has made it truly simple to upgrade the drive in your MacBook Air whether you have an original MBA or rev B/C and whether you're upgrading an HDD or SSD. I unscrewed ten screws from the bottom of the MBA. Then, four screws to remove the stock drive from the MBA. It took a full five minutes to make the swap. In less than 20 minutes of installation my Runcore SSD was running in my Super MacBook Air!

The old drive – With the included drive enclosure case, you can use your MBA’s stock drive as a backup or portable drive. Or, you could sell the original drive on eBay to someone who isn’t experienced with Runcore. I figure my stock SSD is worth nearly the full price of the Runcore SSD I upgraded to. Anyone with an HDD in their MBA can use it in the drive enclosure for a great portable solution. To anyone with an HDD, don’t accept the slow performance any longer. The Runcore SSD is a simple and affordable way to renew your MBA and make it lasts a few years longer with gigantic speed improvements over a stock HDD.

Performance/Speed – I cannot believe how fast the Runcore SSD is performing. My MBA feels like a completely new Mac… like a rev D MBA! It’s really fast. My xBench scores actually exceeded those reported on the Runcore.com website. I am amazed by super fast boot times, apps opening faster than instantly, never seeing spinning beach balls or app bouncing, multiple tasks/transfers are a breeze, and 2.5” SSD speeds from a 1.8” SSD! Upwards of 3X read speeds and 2X write speeds versus the stock SSD. Speeds are insanely faster than the stock HDD delivers at a snail’s pace.

Finite time - I use my MacBook Air as my primary computer, and speed is important for me. Apple has taught us that we have to compromise with the MBA and receive an inferior experience with the MBA’s stock SSD as it’s in an ultraportable. With the Runcore SSD, the MBA feels as fast as any other full-sized Mac. Life is short and the Runcore SSD will benefit you now and over the extended life of your MBA; when you go to sell the MBA, it will be worth more with a blazing fast Runcore SSD. With a Runcore SSD installed, the MacBook Air feels like a completely different Mac! This small investment makes a huge difference noticeable from startup to shutdown.

I will no longer be recommending Apple's SSD in the MBA, as the Runcore SSD is a much better investment providing a noticeable improvement which will save you time. Apple really has shortchanged MBA customers with a limited SSD; there is no reason to live with a slow MBA when such a simple and affordable solution is available!

For ANYONE that has an MBA with an HDD, there is no debating it, you need to upgrade to a Runcore SSD today. The Runcore SSD will make your MBA feel like a completely new Mac! It will prolong your MBA's useable life, save you time, and improve the Air's overall performance. Xbench marks show the Runcore SSD has up to 15X read performance over the stock HDD. This is a much lower cost way to get more life out of your MBA rather than buying new frequently.

I hope you all can experience the performance and speed boosts of the Runcore SSD in your MacBook Air. If I can answer any questions, please feel free to post here or send me a PM.

Difficulty Level – EXTREMELY EASY!

Tools Needed – Small Phillips Screwdriver (#0).

Process | Time to complete - 30 minutes plus time to transfer drive image.

• Put Runcore SSD in enclosure and install cable – 2 Minutes.
  • Transfer files from MacBook Air to new Runcore SSD – depends on size of drive.
  • Remove Runcore SSD from enclosure – 2 Minutes.
  • Unscrew 10 screws from bottom – 5 Minutes.
  • Unscrew 4 screws from drive brackets – 2 Minutes.
  • DISCONNECT BATTERY CONNECTION... JULIUS STATED, IN POST #256, THAT SEVERAL COMPANIES RECOMMEND THIS. SEEMS OBVIOUS BUT I DIDN'T DO IT MYSELF AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON THE MBA. PROBABLY NOT GOING TO AFFECT THE COMPUTER UNLESS YOU JAB IT WITH A SCREWDRIVER OR PUSH THE POWER BUTTON WHILE CASE IS OPEN. [added 3/6/2010]
  • Unfasten the LIF cable and port ribbon cable from USB/MDP/Audio – 1 Minute.
  • Remove original SSD – 3 Minutes.
  • Install Runcore SSD – 3 Minutes.
  • Reattach LIF & port ribbon cable – 1 Minute.
  • ReConnect Battery Connection [added 3/6/2010]
  • Fasten 4 screws on drive bracket – 2 Minutes.
  • Fasten 10 screws on bottom of MBA – 5 Minutes.
  • Boot your MBA and notice a big difference in speed and performance.

EDIT [NOTICE]

When installing the Runcore, use the new LIF cable with the Runcore in your MBA. However, tape it in place to the new Runcore SSD as it was on the stock SSD (Apple ships it with tape securing the LIF cable in place)... or if yours has it, lock it in place via the locking mechanism. Mine doesn't have this locking mechanism, but some have reported it... could be why I had problems and had to tape it in place. I would advise using the tape either way from my own experience. I had some error problems and spinning beachballs, but once I taped the cable in place, all of the problems instantly ceased.

EDIT - I am adding my Runcore screen shots.
Top shot - Stock 128 GB SSD
Bottom shot - Runcore 128 GB SSD

Also, I didn't mention that it ships with two screwdrivers, an extra LIF cable, and USB cable and enclosure for old SSD.

Attachments

• runcore.png
    runcore.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,179

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I upgraded my 2.13 GHz/2GB RAM MacBook Air v 2,1 (rev C) from a stock 128 GB SSD to a Runcore 128 GB SSD last week.

The old drive – With the included drive enclosure case, you can use your MBA’s stock drive as a backup or portable drive. Or, you could sell the original drive on eBay to someone who isn’t experienced with Runcore. I figure my stock SSD is worth nearly the full price of the Runcore SSD I upgraded to. Anyone with an HDD in their MBA can use it in the drive enclosure for a great portable solution. To anyone with an HDD, don’t accept the slow performance any longer. The Runcore SSD is a simple and affordable way to renew your MBA and make it lasts a few years longer with gigantic speed improvements over a stock HDD.

[/LIST]

Great synopsis, but I find it strange that you feel you older, slower SSD is "worth nearly the full price of the Runcore SSD I upgraded to". So someone is supposed to spend $450 to get a used, slow SSD instead of a new, super fast SSD and have a slow HD left over for backups instead of a much faster stock SSD?

I have been interested in the Runcore SSD since they got the issues resolved, but frankly it is hard to justify spending the money to eliminate seeing the bouncing ball for a total of maybe 90 seconds each day, over the course of the day (startup and shutdown are not an issues since I only do that maybe once per week). But, I expect I will get once anyway. Runcore had made it so simple and fast to upgrade, it makes it hard to resist.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
Would this fit inside a Rev A? - or is 64GB the largest SSD to go inside the Rev A?

THe Rev. A SSD is Different than the Rev. B and C because it uses a ZIF PATA interface instead of the LIF SATA of the new ones. Be aware of this if upgrading a Rev. A.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Yes, Runcore makes different capacity SSDs for both versions 1,1 and 2,1 of the MBA. I think it sells 32, 64, and 128 GB models now. I have the MBA with 2.13 CPU and Nvidia GPU.

And to reply about the value of the stock SSD, there are a lot of people who bought an MBA with HDD who want to upgrade to an SSD and aren't aware of the Runcore solution. Think about most people who want to upgrade to an SSD in their MBA and go to Apple for an upgrade; those people are willing to pay the money for a stock SSD for their MBAs. In fact, one of my friends offered me $400 for my stock SSD, but I turned him on to the Runcore as I don't really care to sell the original SSD. I was just trying to give people advice on how affordable it really is and worth the upgrade whether coming from an SSD or HDD.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Right. Most people assume all SSDs are created equal, regardless of brand. While a regular SSD offers great improvement over a HDD, if you're using the Air you want the best performance you can get.

Scottsdale: Are you using your stock SSD as an external drive? You said you don't plan on selling it. I'm about to get the Air, but personally, I think I'll wait for Runcore to release a 256GB.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Right. Most people assume all SSDs are created equal, regardless of brand. While a regular SSD offers great improvement over a HDD, if you're using the Air you want the best performance you can get.

Scottsdale: Are you using your stock SSD as an external drive? You said you don't plan on selling it. I'm about to get the Air, but personally, I think I'll wait for Runcore to release a 256GB.

I think you might have a long wait. I did put my stock SSD in the portable drive enclosure. It's really a nice small, no tiny, case that can easily be hidden in a tote pocket in case I ever need it while on the go. I have several larger drives that stay connected to AirPort and ACD so don't need as a backup device although could certainly be used that way.

One thing I would suggest is if you did get an MBA now, you could get the HDD version and upgrade to the Runcore SSD. Then take up to 120 GB with you on the stock HDD in the drive enclosure. I think it's going to be a while before we get 256 GB in the MBA.

Also, what I do is have all of my media and remote files attached to my AEBS then can access from anywhere via Internet. It's really a great solution for MBA.

Good luck.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Good to know there's a faster SSD for revision B/C Airs available. I already have a B/SSD, so I'll probably wait until there's a 256 GB (and reasonably priced).

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
You're going to be waiting awhile. I too thought it made more sense financially to wait for Runcore to come out with 256.

But,... someone on Twitter asked Runcore about it and they stated they have no plans to make one at this time.

kenmarered

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
I have a rev A MacBook Air with HDD. I love it but it suffers from the choppy video problem. Specifically, when watching iTunes content, 30mins in the video becomes choppy and unwatchable.

Will the Runcore SSD help or am I better off trading in for a Rev C?

Thanks

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
^ Revision C.

You're going to be waiting awhile. I too thought it made more sense financially to wait for Runcore to come out with 256.

But,... someone on Twitter asked Runcore about it and they stated they have no plans to make one at this time.

It might be a while, but since I'm fine with the default SSD now, I really don't think further increase in speed is worth $400 at this point. I would like it of course, but I only ever get to see the beachball if an app crashes anyway, so... If I was getting an Air now the HDD version + Runcore upgrade would be a no-brainer.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
But Scottsdale! You didn't mention the most important thing! HOW MUCH?

I'm very interested in getting a replacement SSD as well (for my HDD macbook pro) but at the moment, all the prices I'm seeing are in that "If I just wait a year, they'll be MUCH cheaper" category.

I couldn't spend $400 bucks on a drive today that I'm pretty sure will go for $150 15 months from now.

But anyway, what did you pay and where'd you buy it from?

MajorTCS

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Farmington CT
Runcore.com Store

Thanks Scottsdale, great info. I am interested in following your lead. The website has little to no support, i.e. the live chat is down and there is no Customer Support phone #. I have a shipping question. I want to sign a signature release similar to what Apple uses, thereby avoiding a missed delivery. Any thoughts?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks Scottsdale, great info. I am interested in following your lead. The website has little to no support, i.e. the live chat is down and there is no Customer Support phone #. I have a shipping question. I want to sign a signature release similar to what Apple uses, thereby avoiding a missed delivery. Any thoughts?

I can get your question across as I have their email. Send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction. I have found them very responsive to all questions. They even respond to threads if someone has an issue here on MacRumors.com.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
www.runcore.com

But Scottsdale! You didn't mention the most important thing! HOW MUCH?

I'm very interested in getting a replacement SSD as well (for my HDD macbook pro) but at the moment, all the prices I'm seeing are in that "If I just wait a year, they'll be MUCH cheaper" category.

I couldn't spend $400 bucks on a drive today that I'm pretty sure will go for $150 15 months from now.

But anyway, what did you pay and where'd you buy it from?

http://www.runcore.com/

Here's the deal. If you're upgrading from an SSD, you could figure the net price. I would guess you can get $300 from an original 128 GB SSD. That makes the Runcore SSD less than $150 for the upgrade. I would actually assume you can get more, as I have had two people contact me about selling my original drive here. Two offers over $400 since I mentioned I turned down $400. I don't understand it myself, the Runcore SSD RUNS CIRCLES around the stock SSD. It's over 3X the read speed! Runcore even includes a new LIF ribbon cable with the new Runcore SSD.

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
http://www.runcore.com/

Here's the deal. If you're upgrading from an SSD, you could figure the net price. I would guess you can get $300 from an original 128 GB SSD. That makes the Runcore SSD less than $150 for the upgrade. I would actually assume you can get more, as I have had two people contact me about selling my original drive here. Two offers over $400 since I mentioned I turned down $400. I don't understand it myself, the Runcore SSD RUNS CIRCLES around the stock SSD. It's over 3X the read speed! Runcore even includes a new LIF ribbon cable with the new Runcore SSD.

What's your Xbench disk test scores?

According to the site it goes from:
Disk Test 86.89
TO
Disk Test 176.54

which seems almost ridiculous of a jump!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I have a rev A MacBook Air with HDD. I love it but it suffers from the choppy video problem. Specifically, when watching iTunes content, 30mins in the video becomes choppy and unwatchable.

Will the Runcore SSD help or am I better off trading in for a Rev C?

Thanks

Rev C. Choppy video is an issue with the processor overheating. This doesn't happen on the rev B and C.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009

Stock SSD - I have been a champion of the MacBook Air and have advised many MBA buyers to upgrade to the SSD for much faster performance through normal use. I have loved my MacBook Air, and I have been happy with the performance. At the same time, I wished that a third party SSD was available with much faster read and write times than the stock SSD in the MBA. Well, I installed the Runcore 128 GB SSD, and my MacBook Air is now like a Super Mac with speed and performance unheard of from a MacBook Air. I noticed the performance improvements instantly and consistently during all normal tasks.

Simple to transfer files – Runcore makes it easy to transfer the files from your MBA to the new Runcore SSD. When you get your Runcore SSD included is an extra LIF cable, USB cable, and external case for your old drive/transferring files. First, you transfer the files from your old drive using the USB cable and external case.

Easy to install – Runcore has made it truly simple to upgrade the drive in your MacBook Air whether you have an original MBA or rev B/C and whether you're upgrading an HDD or SSD. I unscrewed ten screws from the bottom of the MBA. Then, four screws to remove the stock drive from the MBA. It took a full five minutes to make the swap. In less than 20 minutes of installation my Runcore SSD was running in my Super MacBook Air!

Performance/Speed – I cannot believe how fast the Runcore SSD is performing. My MBA feels like a completely new Mac… like a rev D MBA! It’s really fast. My xBench scores actually exceeded those reported on the Runcore.com website. I am amazed by super fast boot times, apps opening faster than instantly, never seeing spinning beach balls or app bouncing, multiple tasks/transfers are a breeze, and 2.5” SSD speeds from a 1.8” SSD! Upwards of 3X read speeds and 2X write speeds versus the stock SSD. Speeds are insanely faster than the stock HDD delivers at a snail’s pace.

Finite time - I use my MacBook Air as my primary computer, and speed is important for me. Apple has taught us that we have to compromise with the MBA and receive an inferior experience with the MBA’s stock SSD as it’s in an ultraportable. With the Runcore SSD, the MBA feels as fast as any other full-sized Mac. Life is short and the Runcore SSD will benefit you now and over the extended life of your MBA; when you go to sell the MBA, it will be worth more with a blazing fast Runcore SSD. With a Runcore SSD installed, the MacBook Air feels like a completely different Mac! This small investment makes a huge difference noticeable from startup to shutdown.

I will no longer be recommending Apple's SSD in the MBA, as the Runcore SSD is a much better investment providing a noticeable improvement which will save you time. Apple really has shortchanged MBA customers with a limited SSD; there is no reason to live with a slow MBA when such a simple and affordable solution is available!

For ANYONE that has an MBA with an HDD, there is no debating it, you need to upgrade to a Runcore SSD today. The Runcore SSD will make your MBA feel like a completely new Mac! It will prolong your MBA's useable life, save you time, and improve the Air's overall performance. Xbench marks show the Runcore SSD has up to 15X read performance over the stock HDD. This is a much lower cost way to get more life out of your MBA rather than buying new frequently.

I hope you all can experience the performance and speed boosts of the Runcore SSD in your MacBook Air. If I can answer any questions, please feel free to post here or send me a PM.

Difficulty Level – EXTREMELY EASY!

Tools Needed – Small Phillips Screwdriver (#0).

Process | Time to complete - 30 minutes plus time to transfer drive image.

• Put Runcore SSD in enclosure and install cable – 2 Minutes.
  • Transfer files from MacBook Air to new Runcore SSD – depends on size of drive.
  • Remove Runcore SSD from enclosure – 2 Minutes.
  • Unscrew 10 screws from bottom – 5 Minutes.
  • Unscrew 4 screws from drive brackets – 2 Minutes.
  • Unfasten the LIF cable and port ribbon cable from USB/MDP/Audio – 1 Minute.
  • Remove original SSD – 3 Minutes.
  • Install Runcore SSD – 3 Minutes.
  • Reattach LIF & port ribbon cable – 1 Minute.
  • Fasten 4 screws on drive bracket – 2 Minutes.
  • Fasten 10 screws on bottom of MBA – 5 Minutes.
  • Boot your MBA and notice a big difference in speed and performance.

Intel SSD is still better, as long as you can afford it. :rolleyes:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Intel SSD will not fit in the Air.

EDIT: I purchased mine. I'm sure I will be satisfied. I knew about the Runcore through Scottsdale before, he kept mentioning it, but I was waiting for his review. I think it should help some people. I don't think everybody and anybody has to go out and buy the Runcore, but for people like me/Scottsdale who are trying to get a heck lot out of the Air, it's worth it. I see no reason as to why I won't like it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Intel SSD will not fit in the Air.

EDIT: I purchased mine. I'm sure I will be satisfied. I knew about the Runcore through Scottsdale before, he kept mentioning it, but I was waiting for his review. I think it should help some people. I don't think everybody and anybody has to go out and buy the Runcore, but for people like me/Scottsdale who are trying to get a heck lot out of the Air, it's worth it. I see no reason as to why I won't like it.

I think you will love it. Really worth every penny. The best part is Runcore makes it so easy to upgrade and the performance differences are instantly noticeable going from a stock SSD to the Runcore.

Good luck with it and congrats!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
What's your Xbench disk test scores?

According to the site it goes from:
Disk Test 86.89
TO
Disk Test 176.54

which seems almost ridiculous of a jump!

Mine tested faster than that... I am posting a screen shot as soon as I can figure out how to post a screen shot from a Mac here...

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Do you have any affiliation with the company that sells or distributes Runcore SSD? Your review read like a advertisement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.