Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
I have a SD tv right now and a :apple:tv hooked up to it. I used the settings in Handbrake for the :apple:tv and now it seems that its cropped when I watch the movies. What setting should I use so that it looks good on the SDtv and the HDtv or what should I change in :apple:tv presettings. thanks

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
Thats not a question with an easy answer, as it depends on your source file and what quality you are looking for now and in the future.

checkout the forums at http://forum.handbrake.fr/

At a real basic level, your going to have a job getting a file look good on both SD and HD TV's due to there aspect ratio.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
My source is straight off the DVD. I just picked the :apple:tv preset. I guess in a few weeks when I get my HDtv i'll see how the look. For now they look great.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I also wonder if the Apple TV preset can retain the 720p when converting from the DVD although I didn't see any degrade in my TV. Or is it possible to upscale it?

DVDs aren't 720p though; they are 480p. Upscaling at the encode wouldn't make much sense as all you would do is increase the filesize for no more (likely less) benefit than you already get from your TV's built-in upscaler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.