Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of the newest virtualization software options do you prefer?

• Total voters

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Ladies & gentlemen, boys and girls; it's time for another round of...

Choose...

That...

Virtualization Software

Today's match-up: VMWare's latest release of Fusion 3.0 and the hot-off-the-presses release of Parallels 5.0!!!!!

Ok seriously, I'll be getting a new iMac soon and have some indespensible windows apps bla bla bla, and I'd like to get some updated discussion going specifically about F3.0 & P5.0 (NOT VirtualBox etc.)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They both are pretty much neck & neck. I have both of them, and they are pretty much on 'parallel' terms ;).

Simply buy whichever you can get cheapest.

I do like the new 'mac look' skinning feature of parallels 5, to make windows 'windows' appear more like mac 'windows'... I just gave myself brainache.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Having been a regular user of both (one on each Mac) I definitely prefer VMWare. The speed increase of 3.0 makes a big enough difference that I finally virtualised by Boot Camp partition too :)

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I do like the new 'mac look' skinning feature of parallels 5, to make windows 'windows' appear more like mac 'windows'... I just gave myself brainache.
I read that on Parallel's website, but they don't seem to have any screenshots. Could you post one? :)

Harpy007

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
If 3ds Max is actually usable in parallel 5.0, I'll upgrade (4.0 is unusable)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I haven't actually downloaded the trials either, but from what I've seen on the "propoganda" videos on each's webpages I think I like the virtual integration of isolated windows programs more with the new Parallels.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I haven't actually downloaded the trials either, but from what I've seen on the "propoganda" videos on each's webpages I think I like the virtual integration of isolated windows programs more with the new Parallels.

As a user of Parallels 4, I'll be getting part 5. I'll finally move from XP Machine once I go get another copy of Windows 7 (I have Windows 7 Pro on my home desktop machine, and I have the 7100 build of Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro's Boot Camp partition AND I have XP via Parallels 4). I'm hoping to get rid of my Boot Camp partition and XP VM and just use Parallels for all my Windows needs on my MBP. I'm loving the "Window-less" feature.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Features

Obviously we all have eyes and we all have google, but would someone who has used both care to elaborate on the most major of the differences between the two? (regarding interface and features)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I read that on Parallel's website, but they don't seem to have any screenshots. Could you post one? :)

Windows 7 windows opened with coherence, and with the new 'Mac' appearance skinning option applied.

Attachments

• pip.jpg
    pip.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 1,555

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Obviously we all have eyes and we all have google, but would someone who has used both care to elaborate on the most major of the differences between the two? (regarding interface and features)

As I said in post two - Fusion 3 & Parallels 5 are pretty much exactly the same feature wise with only 'MINOR' differences.

There are no 'MAJOR' differences.

That's it.... There is nothing more to say other than if your unsure which to get - download either as a trial.

VMWare fusion & parallels will convert either's existing virtual images so just try for yourself.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I heard that if you don't install bootcamp first Windows using Parallels will write all over the HD or SSD (which is bad) unless you use Bootcamp and partition a portion just for Windows using bootcamp. Is this true for the new Parallels as well?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ That's simply untrue you'll be glad to hear, and utterly misinformed.

Parallels and Fusion both create virtual image drives and all the files are contained within. There is no 'writing all over the HDD or SDD' at all. period. :cool:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They are both priced the exact same for someone who is not upgrading. Could they possibly make it harder to choose?

They know that themselves. Parallels offers bundles with other apps in their 'switch to mac' bundle. That's pretty much all they are doing to differentiate between themselves.

Like I said. Simply download the trials and see for yourself peeps.

1ofthedavids

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
As I said in post two - Fusion 3 & Parallels 5 are pretty much exactly the same feature wise with only 'MINOR' differences.

There are no 'MAJOR' differences.

That's it.... There is nothing more to say other than if your unsure which to get - download either as a trial.

VMWare fusion & parallels will convert either's existing virtual images so just try for yourself.

OpenGL 2.1 support on Vista/7 & Linux guests is a pretty major difference. IIRC, VMware only supports OpenGL 2.1 for XP guests

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Parallels spent quite a bit of time on build 8898, a predecessor to this one. The mac style wasn't even featured in 8898. I gotta admit, this needs some testing before you can really do a Fusion vs Parallels.

For Fusion, the final and the RC wasn't that much different. Infact, for the final, it was faster than the beta. However, I still noticed that 3D performance was very lacking in Fusion. It seems slower than Parallels but at least you get Aero in Unity mode.

I was enrolled in both the beta programs for VMWare Fusion and Parallels so I got some sneak preview of both already.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It seems slower than Parallels but at least you get Aero in Unity mode.

Actually aero works in coherence, but only over other windows 'windows'. Put two windows over each other and the aero glass effect is in effect. However against mac windows/background it's flat.
:)

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Actually aero works in coherence, but only over other windows 'windows'. Put two windows over each other and the aero glass effect is in effect. However against mac windows/background it's flat.
:)

You're right. I didn't notice that when I first posted. As I said, build 8898 and the current build 9220 is a lot different. It seems good that you can turn off Aero under coherence if you wanted to. The "Mac" look is also interesting.

I installed a new Windows XP Pro virtual machine in Parallels 5 build 9220 because for some reason, it won't load my Boot Camp Windows 7 without stalling (Doesn't crash, just won't proceed any further). Performance seems to be the same still but I haven't had a chance to do any further tests yet.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I had both (the last version of each) and settled on Fusion. Their upgrades are cheaper and it seems a bit more stable on my machine.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Windows 7 windows opened with coherence, and with the new 'Mac' appearance skinning option applied.

Is it better to just install Parallels first or install Bootcamp first and then Parallels after before installing Windows 7? :confused:

mashimaro

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Considering Parallel's crappy support for linux ( remember the 5 month hiatus to get parallels tools working on ubuntu 9.04? ) , vmware 3 definitely. Vmware 3 definitely is more stable. btw, Parallels 5 can easily corrupt your bootcamp drive (source: experience).

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Considering Parallel's crappy support for linux ( remember the 5 month hiatus to get parallels tools working on ubuntu 9.04? ) , vmware 3 definitely. Vmware 3 definitely is more stable. btw, Parallels 5 can easily corrupt your bootcamp drive (source: experience).

Well, apparently Parallels have the upper advantage in Linux support now. Theres OpenGL 2.1 support and I'm able to run Compiz under Ubuntu.

I never got a corrupted Boot Camp drive with Parallels or Fusion.

RS232

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
London, United Kingdom
I was wowed by VMware Fusion 3 and thought I would be switching over to them. I'm running Windows 7 Professional on a MacBook UMB 2.4GHz with 4GB memory.

But... :eek:

I've been using Parallels 5 today. It seems snappier and the Aero handling is much better (On Fusion 3 it works well but it doesn't seem that smooth).

Definitely better than Parallels 4 I've been using for the last few months.

I have a play around tonight but looks like it is Parallels 5.0 for me! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.