Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Doju
macrumors 68000

Opening .NZB files into SABnzbdX makes Mac OS X think it's a program?

It isn't, so there's really not a massive problem with this, but I'm annoyed that every time I want to open these .NZB files (which, btw, are like the equivalent of .torrent files for those of us who use Usenet) it treats it like an app with all the "You are opening Ubuntu 9.10.nzb for the first time and this was downloaded from the internet at yada yada." and it's a bit of an annoyance.

Is there like a terminal command I can use to make it stop? I don't really think opening up .NZB files are a security threat worthy of this notification, is it?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Sky Blue

I've noticed this with Unison since 10.5.8, does it in 10.6 too. Not really sure what Apple changed, but it is annoying.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 03:41 PM   #3
OddyOh
macrumors regular

yup

Yeah I had that problem, and it was super-annoying because I use iCal to run an Automator script to download my files to download them overnight...but I would check my mac in the morning and sure enough, just sitting there with the stupid 'this file is from the Internet' warning...well, freakin' DUH!!

Anyway, I did solve it...I found a blog post that showed how to edit a certain 'plist' file so it just plain opens certain file types. It's customizable, so I added a line for NZB types, and now it's smooth sailin' again.

I'm at work right now, but I can check back when I get home and tell you what plist it was. Hope that helps. I don't remember what phrase I google'd.
OddyOh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Doju
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddyOh View Post
Yeah I had that problem, and it was super-annoying because I use iCal to run an Automator script to download my files to download them overnight...but I would check my mac in the morning and sure enough, just sitting there with the stupid 'this file is from the Internet' warning...well, freakin' DUH!!

Anyway, I did solve it...I found a blog post that showed how to edit a certain 'plist' file so it just plain opens certain file types. It's customizable, so I added a line for NZB types, and now it's smooth sailin' again.

I'm at work right now, but I can check back when I get home and tell you what plist it was. Hope that helps. I don't remember what phrase I google'd.
That'd be great, thanks a lot. Glad I'm not alone.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 04:52 PM   #5
OddyOh
macrumors regular

cool

Ok, cool I found it.

It should be in "Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/" and it's called "com.apple.DownloadAssessment.plist", open it in textedit or whatever.

Here's what mine looks like:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>LSRiskCategorySafe</key>
	<dict>
		<key>LSRiskCategoryContentTypes</key>
		<array>
			<string>public.html</string>
			<string>public.xml</string>
			<string>public.php-script</string>
			<string>com.microsoft.windows-media-wmv</string>
		</array>
		<key>LSRiskCategoryExtensions</key>
		<array>
			<string>xhtml</string>
			<string>nzb</string>
		</array>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I think I basically just added the "<string>nzb</string>" line near the end.

Try that out, but maybe make a copy of the original...I don't want to hose your system!!!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Doju
macrumors 68000

Hmm, I don't have that download.plist file.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 04:33 PM   #7
larryy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doju View Post
Hmm, I don't have that download.plist file.
Just go ahead and create it.

Be warned, if you have used Amazon downloads, Amazon likely has created this file and given it an encoding of "UTF-8, no BOM". This doesn't work, and just editing it won't change the encoding. Open it in TextWrangler or BBEdit, do a Save As and use the Options button and subsequent dialog to set the file encoding to UTF-8 (with "no BOM" on the end), and save over the old file. This is why the technique is working for some people (those who create it from scratch) and failing for others (those who have the Amazon-created file with bad file encoding), I think.

A longer-winded explanation and some other things I tried before getting it to work (but am pretty sure are unnecessary) may be found here.
larryy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 05:26 PM   #8
OddyOh
macrumors regular

create

Yeah, I must have created my own file, I don't use any Amazon download stuff...we don't have that in Canada. But I can't find the original instructions I used, I thought I'd bookmarked it.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:44 AM   #9
allan.nyholm
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to allan.nyholm Send a message via Skype™ to allan.nyholm
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddyOh View Post
Yeah, I must have created my own file, I don't use any Amazon download stuff...we don't have that in Canada. But I can't find the original instructions I used, I thought I'd bookmarked it.
Are these any of the pages you found?

http://www.davinian.com/os-x-leopard...nt-to-open-it/

http://mymacinations.com/2008/02/06/...ml-files-safe/
allan.nyholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:09 AM   #10
alphaod
macrumors Core

I guess this workaround is nice. I've gotten so used to this, that I've learned to accept. It's kind of having turned into Windows Vista's UAC except harder to turn off.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 06:21 AM   #11
OddyOh
macrumors regular

great

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan.nyholm View Post
Great, those are the ones!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store