Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
That would just be an attempt.

This could be a killer:
hammer1.jpg

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Meh. Blu-Ray is nice for HTPC setup, however for every day use I would prefer SL and the looks of the mini. This just looks like another cheaply made Dell with Winblows. :p

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/07/inspiron-zino-hd-now-configurable-available-to-order-on-dells/

Dell may be focusing the bulk of its attention on the white-hot Adamo XPS, but it looks as if its attempting to slide the Zino HD into the wild without anyone noticing. If you'll recall, we snagged a little hands-on time with the box back in August, and now we've reason to believe that an official reveal is just moments away. The Zino HD is now listed on Dell's main "Desktops" portal (a screen cap is after the break), though the accompanying link leads to nowhere. However, one vigilant tipster managed to find a backdoor URL that allows you to configure and order your own Inspiron 400 (its "other name," just so you know) right now. We're seeing the machine available in a slew of colors ($10 to $30 options over black), a 1.5GHz AMD Athlon 3250e or 1.8GHz Athlon 6850e CPU, Windows 7 Home Premium, 4GB of DDR2 RAM, a 500GB (7200RPM) hard drive, 8x DVD burner, a 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4330 GPU, bundled keyboard / mouse and a 20-inch ST2010 LCD thrown in for good measure. The total package described above looks to start at around $807 with a November 27th ship date, though we suspect cheaper models will be available once things get ironed out.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If this could be hacked to run OS X then yes, I'd consider it as a second HTPC.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
The processors are singularly unimpressive compared to the Mini, and (perhaps surprisingly) it doesn't look like it really undercuts the Mini in price either. That said, I wish Apple would offer 7200RPM drive and better graphics card options.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
The processors are singularly unimpressive compared to the Mini, and (perhaps surprisingly) it doesn't look like it really undercuts the Mini in price either. That said, I wish Apple would offer 7200RPM drive and better graphics card options.

This is not a video work station, how much processor speed do you need to surf the web check email and chat on Facebook. I love how everyone is so caught up on the processors speeds.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
Look before this gets out of control let the record reflect that no I am not trolling and no I am not a fan boy of either platform. I own both and think they are both great. I just happen to think this is a pretty neat little box. Will I buy one? sure I will :) I also own a Mac Mini 1.66Ghz Core Duo and I must admit its a bit slow and very long in the tooth by today standards. Lots of beach ball spinning.

Maybe no big deal to some folks but I also like that it will come with a keyboard and mouse.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
This is not a video work station, how much processor speed do you need to surf the web check email and chat on Facebook. I love how everyone is so caught up on the processors speeds.

No, it's not a video workstation, but an underpowered computer typically needs to be replaced earlier. And yes, some of us are still bitching and moaning over the lack of a midrange tower (know it's never going to happen, but doesn't mean we can't wish it would).

Also, I've been considering a Mini as a stopgap upgrade from my G5 PowerMac while I save up for a MBP, but as badly as I need an Intel Mac, the Mini could still barely keep up with my almost-5-year-old G5.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I wouldn't call it a mini killer. I love my Mac mini. But there are some apps that work only on PC and I have a PowerPC Mac mini which stills works very well. I can see getting a Dell "mini" as it looks like it can do its job with PC only software and not take up a lot of space.

If given the choice between one or the other, and I didn't have any computer at the moment, I would still go with Apple. If I wanted to load Windows on it, the Intel processor makes that a possibility and I get the best of both worlds.

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Nice find.

This could be a nice alternative to a PS3. Don't get me wrong, it won't be a mini killer. However, it certainly look better then a mini for HTPC considering it can play blu-ray :rolleyes:.

And as always, mac fanboys are funny... can't even admit that this pc is indeed nice for what it's intended for. Lack of OS? As if windows didn't have iTunes/quicktime/whatever player we're using on OSX.

I love mac, I can't wait for my i5 to come. But if I was looking for HTPC solution, this would win vs a mini by far.

Oh and yeah windows 7 is real nice. I will use parallel on my iMac and use the dock for windows7/ubuntu apps, especially for Office (Mac office and iWork both got crappy Excel... Most of my stats macro NEVER work normally and I had to install windows xp just for them to work correctly...).

*On a side note, I must agree that the design is uglier then a Mac Mini, but the all black one would look better with my flat screen then a white box...

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Rule of video editing. You never have your media on the same drive as the OS or the application. So as long as your external drive with your media is 7200, the 5400 is acceptable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.