Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Ok why is that when I press, SHIFT + OPTION + K, in the area where I am typing this post the Apple logo appears ok. But when you preview and submit the post you get a "?".

Should be Apple logo --> ?

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
tech4all said:
Ok why is that when I press, SHIFT + OPTION + K, in the area where I am typing this post the Apple logo appears ok. But when you preview and submit the post you get a "?".

Should be Apple logo --> ?

You mean this?

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
tech4all said:

vBulletin, as it's set up here, doesn't support encoding of strange special characters like the Apple logo. So the database just replaces the characters with a question mark.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Doctor Q said:

If you give me $637.43, I'll tell you how I did it.

Look, rufus, there's a man with a magic box! By golly, that right there must be the specialest thing I ever did see. Yessiree, go get ma, pa, and little Suzy Anne, we're lookin' at a miracle here!

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
I know in Windows for Apple Garamond and Baskerville (just to name a few), the code that appears in Character Map is U+F8FF.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The Unicode code for the Apple symbol is 63743 (the dollar and cents number in my post - get it? :) ), so if you type  in your post, it'll come out as a .

This will work if you then click the Submit Reply button. However, if you click the Preview Post button, the  will turn into an symbol in the Preview display, and you must then change the back into  before you click Submit Reply, or it will come out as a question mark.

I had to do this a few times myself while previewing this post to make sure it came out right!

You can find the codes for this and other characters, such as or , in The HTML Document Character Set.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
neoelectronaut said:
To this day I don't know what the symbol after the command symbol means.
If you mean , it's the symbol for the option key. Why? I've always wondered. It doesn't look like an option to me. On the other hand, what does an option look like? Maybe the symbol [] could have been used, since square brackets often mean optional in extended BNF and other syntax notations. But it's no use second guessing. Apple chose and that's what we get.

If you are using Safari, look in the menus and you'll see the symbol used (along with for menu choices like Bookmarks->Show All Bookmarks. At least for the symbol is on the keytop so you won't have trouble remembering which key it refers to!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My post above didn't come out right, so I'll try again.

The Unicode code for the Apple symbol is 63743, so if you type this sequence:

& # 6 3 7 4 3 ;

it should come out as a .

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
i deff. need to look at this again when i'm home from work on my mac... right now all of the special characters show up as a blank box... making the entire thread that much more amusing...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
BurtonCCC said:
I'm still not following this... I just can't get it...

Can this be used on all sites? And it's only viewable by people with Macs?

Daniel
Any web page on any web site can use HTML containing the 8-character sequence & # 6 3 7 4 3 ; (but without the intervening spaces) to specify the Apple logo symbol. Whether it displays properly in a particular user's web browser does not depend on the platform, but it does depend on (1) whether that web browser understands Unicode (most do these days) and (2) whether that system has a font available that contains that particular glyph (which means the shape of the Apple logo symbol).

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
BurtonCCC said:
I'm still not following this... I just can't get it...

Can this be used on all sites? And it's only viewable by people with Macs?

Daniel

OMG, you don't have a Mac? You know that without a Mac, you can only see like 15% of what gets posted, right? We usually write in Mac-only fonts; on a Windows machine it doesn't appear at all.

There are thousands of threads you can't even see to click on, man! Quick! Run out and buy up an iMac for godssakes!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
pseudobrit said:
OMG, you don't have a Mac? You know that without a Mac, you can only see like 15% of what gets posted, right? We usually write in Mac-only fonts; on a Windows machine it doesn't appear at all.

There are thousands of threads you can't even see to click on, man! Quick! Run out and buy up an iMac for godssakes!

LMFAO! Thats great, glad I can see all of those 'special threads', they ALWAYS have THE BEST content and insider news :p

Thanks for the know-how Dr. Q, fun stuff 

Wanted to try another: þ

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Doctor Q said:
Any web page on any web site can use HTML containing the 8-character sequence & # 6 3 7 4 3 ; (but without the intervening spaces) to specify the Apple logo symbol. Whether it displays properly in a particular user's web browser does not depend on the platform, but it does depend on (1) whether that web browser understands Unicode (most do these days) and (2) whether that system has a font available that contains that particular glyph (which means the shape of the Apple logo symbol).

I'm assuming this works not only for 8-char but also for 5/6 char as well correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.