Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrVali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I've been unable to find a satisfactory answer to this question searching the net...

I love Airtunes with iTunes + iPhone remote app. It's easy, works well, and the wife understands it.

However, being that it uses wireless, I have problems with audio dropout and disconnections on occasion that is very frustrating.

I'm looking to rewire the house with dedicated speakers and a multimedia closet that will stream the music to different rooms, but I want to be able to still use the remote app on the iPhone so I can turn on and off rooms as I do now with the remote app.

My thoughts initally involve an Mac Mini with a couple of USB-sound-cards attached and each one feeds a room. However, I can find no information on whether iTunes understands multiple sound cards and can send them the audio feed like it sends the Airports. I can also not seem to find any information as to whether OS X can easily handle multiple sound cards.

Does anyone know if this can be done, and/or describe or link to a solution that would allow the use of a mac/iTunes + remote (or other similar iPhone app) to control multiple room sound?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.