Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Cje60
macrumors newbie

Can i get wifi at home without a pc?

I only have a touch and want wifi at home but a lot of the wifi providers mention a cd and intalling software etc
My neighbours wont tell me their passwords and i am spending a lot of time up the street in the cafe who vary kindly did give me their password.
Cje60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
mooblie
macrumors 6502

You probably only need a PC (with a wired Ethernet connection) to set up a wireless router to start with, and after that, you should be able to use your iPod Touch to connect to your router wirelessly to maintain it after that. So maybe you could borrow a laptop to set the wireless router up for the first time?

Routers don't actually need the CD or install software, as you just browse to something like 192.168.0.1 on your network (using any browser - Safari on the iPod Touch is fine) to control the router.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:25 AM   #3
jake921660
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooblie View Post
You probably only need a PC (with a wired Ethernet connection) to set up a wireless router to start with, and after that, you should be able to use your iPod Touch to connect to your router wirelessly to maintain it after that. So maybe you could borrow a laptop to set the wireless router up for the first time?

Routers don't actually need the CD or install software, as you just browse to something like 192.168.0.1 on your network (using any browser - Safari on the iPod Touch is fine) to control the router.
This is mostly true, but when I got both my routers they needed to be plugged into a computer to set up the wireless account.

My suggestion to the OP is to set up the wireless aspect of the router on a computer at someone elses house, and take it back to your house. Or have someone bring a laptop to your house to set it up.
jake921660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:44 AM   #4
mooblie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake921660 View Post
This is mostly true, but when I got both my routers they needed to be plugged into a computer to set up the wireless account.

My suggestion to the OP is to set up the wireless aspect of the router on a computer at someone elses house, and take it back to your house. Or have someone bring a laptop to your house to set it up.
I agree completely. (And I think that's what I said! )
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:06 AM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

One thing the OP doesn't mention - does he have an internet connection at home? He says he just has an iPod Touch, but doesn't mention if he would have anything to plug a router into with or without a computer to set it up. You still need something to plug the router into.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Cje60
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your advice, i am a she and my dob is the 60 so not very techy.....dumb questions.... ive got a phone line, can i plug a router into that? Is the apple airport a router?
Cje60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:30 AM   #7
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cje60 View Post
Thanks for all your advice, i am a she and my dob is the 60 so not very techy.....dumb questions.... ive got a phone line, can i plug a router into that? Is the apple airport a router?
You need to sign up with an ISP (Internet Service Provider) to get internet access. They will supply you with the correct equipment to access the internet, remember to ask for a wireless router to use with your iPod touch.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 07:09 AM   #8
nastebu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cje60 View Post
Honestly, if you get decent AT&T reception in your home, you might be better off buying an iPhone than setting up a high speed internet connection just for your iPod touch. That's especially true if you're already paying for a home telephone line. If you got the iPhone, you could cancel that home telephone line and just use the iPhone.
nastebu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 07:11 AM   #9
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastebu View Post
Honestly, if you get decent AT&T reception in your home, you might be better off buying an iPhone than setting up a high speed internet connection just for your iPod touch. That's especially true if you're already paying for a home telephone line. If you got the iPhone, you could cancel that home telephone line and just use the iPhone.
A lot of people in the USA are reporting big problems with AT&T reception.

I think her chance of getting decent reception in Scotland are pretty slim.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Cinematographer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post

Why do you think that? Scotland is not necessarily as far behind in basic technology as the US.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 05:45 PM   #11
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematographer View Post
Why do you think that? Scotland is not necessarily as far behind in basic technology as the US.
He was referring to actual AT&T coverage since the poster told her to go sign up with them

To the OP - depending on the monthly cost, the iPhone might be a better alternative than paying for internet and only using it for the Touch.

Perhaps you can get some sort of MiFi device in your area?
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 02:12 AM   #12
jbernie
macrumors 6502a

Depending on how well you know your neighbours... ever consider giving one of them a few quid a month to get the password for their wifi? Having an iPod touch (now with the wife) & an iPhone, I wouldn't think your usage would get that high unless your are a twitter/facebook addict or something
Old Nov 22, 2009, 04:00 AM   #13
nastebu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post

oops! Sorry about that!
nastebu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:18 AM   #14
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernie View Post
Depending on how well you know your neighbours... ever consider giving one of them a few quid a month to get the password for their wifi? Having an iPod touch (now with the wife) & an iPhone, I wouldn't think your usage would get that high unless your are a twitter/facebook addict or something
This is how one of my neighbors gets wi-fi; he pays his next door neighbor $ 10 per month and gets the password/key. It works fine for both parties.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch