Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:07 AM   #1
seasurfer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
How to improve your boot time in Snow Leopard?

My boot time is 34 seconds, I counted from the moment I hit the switch on button to the moment it enters the OS.

I remember I was able to boot Windows XP in 17 second before on my Pentium 4 many years ago. I would like to improve my boot time, is there anyway to do it?
seasurfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:08 AM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus
 
edesignuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London, England
I don't know...but do tell me, if you were able to achieve 17 seconds, how does this make any difference to you?
__________________
edesignuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:23 PM   #3
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040
 
iLog.Genius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Get a 7200RPM HDD or SSD. Everything else is only a temp. fix. You can clear Caches or run Onyx to improve it but overtime it will just slow it down again.
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HDD, GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
iPad with Retina Display
iPhone 5S
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:52 PM   #4
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quite a few of us don't bother to shut down, when sleep does the job quite well, and wake time is often faster than it takes a monitor to power up. And unlike Windows XP, the system stays quite stable even after waking from sleep.

Best way to reduce boot time is to avoid booting to begin with, as much as possible.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.

Last edited by annk; Nov 24, 2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Clean-up after deleted post
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 03:56 AM   #5
numbersyx
macrumors 65816
 
numbersyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
My boot time is 34 seconds, I counted from the moment I hit the switch on button to the moment it enters the OS.

I remember I was able to boot Windows XP in 17 second before on my Pentium 4 many years ago. I would like to improve my boot time, is there anyway to do it?
Were you really able to boot XP in 17 seconds? I had a later processor and mine would still take over a minute and a half to boot. 34 seconds is pretty good for any computer....
numbersyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:34 AM   #6
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
There are two ways to speed up boot time: do less or do the same amount faster. As noted above faster drives will allow you do do the same amount faster. To do less you can only really disable services. For example if you have Personal Web Sharing turned on do you really need it?

Comparing booting one OS with another is largely pointless: they are not booting to having the same, exact, system available in terms of services running, usability etc.

Last edited by SilentPanda; Nov 24, 2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: removed quote of delete post
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 05:24 AM   #7
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
My boot time is 34 seconds, I counted from the moment I hit the switch on button to the moment it enters the OS.

I remember I was able to boot Windows XP in 17 second before on my Pentium 4 many years ago. I would like to improve my boot time, is there anyway to do it?
Boot time boot time boot time. I remember when my Windows 3.11 boot time was bearly 10 seconds. Doesn't mean I want to go back there. I think for an Operating System of such complexity, 34 seconds is good.

I have never understood this whole boot time thing anyway. As long as the operating system works when it's booted, I couldn't care less how long it takes (within reason of coarse).
__________________
roadbloc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 05:40 AM   #8
eXan
macrumors 601
 
eXan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Russia
Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Just sleep it. No need to wait for it boot anymore.
__________________
My WoW videos
13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz | 8 GB | 256 GB | Intel Iris
eXan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:58 AM   #9
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Why are people hung up with boot times. I mean windows you HAD to reboot it, multiple times but with OSX, its rock solid. Who cares if it takes an extra 30 seconds. Just reboot when you need to, i.e., updates from apple. Other then that leave it in sleep.

Besides, when was 34 seconds a long time? My XP machine at work take in excess of 5 minutes and its a core 2 duo. 10 minutes if I choose reboot, but a cold boot is > 5 minutes
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:04 AM   #10
ss957916
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
You say all that, but why are Google working "very, very hard" to make the boot-up time of Chrome as short as possible? Because people want it.
ss957916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:09 AM   #11
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus
 
edesignuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss957916 View Post
You say all that, but why are Google working "very, very hard" to make the boot-up time of Chrome as short as possible? Because people want it.
Its primary focus is NetBooks. They want you to get as long of a battery life as possible (so shut it down rather than sleep), but they also want it to be ready the moment you want to use it (boot fast!).
__________________
edesignuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:20 PM   #12
andresaic1234
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
solutions

when your computer starts, when the screen is in black hold down Option+R+P and that should make your start up faster in the next time. Or use Onyx for your OS version and clean up caches,etc. email me if u have a question.
andresaic1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:23 PM   #13
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresaic1234 View Post
when your computer starts, when the screen is in black hold down Option+R+P and that should make your start up faster in the next time. Or use Onyx for your OS version and clean up caches,etc. email me if u have a question.
Technically speaking by cleaning up caches you actually degrade performance as the system and applications need to build out the cache again.
__________________
~Mike Flynn

Last edited by annk; Nov 26, 2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Clean up
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:33 PM   #14
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss957916 View Post
You say all that, but why are Google working "very, very hard" to make the boot-up time of Chrome as short as possible? Because people want it.
And how are they doing that? By effectively putting your apps "to sleep" in a cloud. And the Chrome device is turned on, it checks the cloud which is always on.

Put your mac to sleep, and you get the same effect. No need to boot.

By the way, if you happen to be stuck with a slow (or no) internet connection, that boot time under Chrome might not be so fast.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 03:06 AM   #15
hazmatzak
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss957916 View Post
why are Google working "very, very hard" to make the boot-up time of Chrome as short as possible? Because people want it.
Perhaps so, but do they know why? Macs are quite reliable at waking from sleep, so that would be better for many.

But Google is coming from a different angle: they want to create an internet appliance that's as reliable and simple as your TV. It also updates itself -- both the OS core and the Chrome browser -- in the background. Just like your TV, you will want to turn it off. And then the next time you turn it on, it will have already updated and verified itself, and it will start just as fast as before and you won't even know that it has updated.

You'll never be prompted to restart, or worse yet, have the computer restart by itself, after an update. You'll never be prompted to restart after installing something, because you never directly install anything. You never worry about quitting apps or "properly shutting down" your computer, because webapps have to deal with people just closing their browser or going to another page anyway. On and off, just like your TV -- it has to start fast (stopping fast is pretty easy).
hazmatzak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot boot from Snow Leopard install disc HarryHarding Mac mini 4 Jan 31, 2013 01:02 PM
Downgrading from Lion to Snow using time machine and USB (Snow Leopard) djarsalan2006 OS X 0 Jan 18, 2013 11:37 PM
Snow leopard boot camp macmacr OS X 0 Dec 30, 2012 07:41 PM
Snow leopard boot disk from hard drive wont boot in LION shuweb Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 4 Dec 23, 2012 11:57 PM
Boot Camp in Snow Leopard markfc OS X 0 Dec 10, 2012 08:11 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC