Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Esoremada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I want to change the name of the Pictures folder on my Mac.
"Macintosh HD/Users/Adam/Pictures"
But I can't. Hitting enter and clicking it once does nothing. When I right click and hit "Get Info" it gives me all the normal info but the "Name & Extension" is grayed out an locked.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
What kind of permissions do you have?

You may need to go to the last portion of the "Get Info" box which is "Sharing and Permissions" and give yourself the ability to Read and Write.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I want to change the name of the Pictures folder on my Mac.
"Macintosh HD/Users/Adam/Pictures"
But I can't. Hitting enter and clicking it once does nothing. When I right click and hit "Get Info" it gives me all the normal info but the "Name & Extension" is grayed out an locked.

I'm sure there is a way to change it, but so many things out there will expect it to be "Pictures" that chances are high, that at some point, maybe at the time of a software update, something will break, and at that point you are heading for a world of hurt.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
The standard set of folders is the same for every user, expect them to be remade if changed or deleted.

Just make other folders named the way you want inside the 'Pictures' folder. The same as you do with the 'Documents' folder.
Drag the folders you use all the time to the finder sidebar for easy access.:)
S.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
The standard set of folders is the same for every user, expect them to be remade if changed or deleted.

Just make other folders named the way you want inside the 'Pictures' folder. The same as you do with the 'Documents' folder.

This. You want the home folders to be left in their standard configuration. Programs look to these folders to function.

You want another name for a pictures folder? Just make a new folder anywhere in your home directory -- a subfolder in pictures, documents, etc. Or make it on your portable media.

Want fast access to it? Just drag it to "Places" on the left side of the finder window. You're one click away from your customized pictures folder.

This is what you want to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.