Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Looking to Revive 'Think Different' Advertising Campaign?

Patently Apple points to a new trademark application from Apple filed on November 30th regarding the "Think Different" advertising slogan used by the company from 1997 until 2002. While the application follows close on the heels of a renewal of an earlier trademark issued for the slogan and could conceivably simply be related to Apple looking to preserve its long-standing trademark, the report notes that Apple's new application specifically extends coverage of the trademark to music players such as the iPod and other electronic devices that could conceivably include a future tablet device.
Quote:
In 1997 there wasn't an iPod and this may be one of the main reasons for Apple's new trademark application for Think Different. However, Apple's International Classification 009 now covers the iPod under MP3 audio players in addition to generically covering "Portable and handheld digital electronic devices" so as to cover any future tablet Apple may be contemplating in the future. Is Apple gearing up for something?
Beyond the new trademark application, 9 to 5 Mac notes that Apple has begun using the "Think Different" phrase on the packaging of its new 21.5" and 27" iMac models. While the change may again simply be a result of Apple moving to exhibit continued commercial usage of the trademark in support of its renewal applications for protection, 9 to 5 Mac also reports on unconfirmed chatter out of Apple's ad agency TBWAChiatDay regarding the slogan, although no specific word of a related ad campaign has surfaced.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Revive 'Think Different' Advertising Campaign?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Demosthenes X
macrumors 68000

"Think Different" remains one of my favourite marketing campaigns of all time, and is certainly Apple's best full-fledged campaign. "Switch" and "Get a Mac" are absolutely lame in comparison...

Launching a revolutionary new tablet and a new "Think Different" campaign? I'd love to see that...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
acurafan
macrumors 6502a

yes, think different and think about putting back the rainbow Apple logo!!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
ventro
macrumors 6502a

Awesome. I hope the Tablet is game changing enough to necessitate bringing back the slogan, sort of how the original Think Different campaign was a teaser to the first iMac.
ventro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:35 PM   #5
guydude193
macrumors 6502a

Maybe to "Think Different" about Tablets? Maybe Apple will make a new kind of tablet, and imply that we should "Think Different" about them.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:38 PM   #6
nxent
macrumors 6502

Nice

by far my favorite of apple's advertising campaign that brought out the essence of what makes the company unique-
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Donz0r
macrumors 6502a

Anything is better than the "Get A Mac" ones.
Donz0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:39 PM   #8
kavika411
Banned

I like it, although I'm not convinced that "think different" is proper grammar ("differently"), just as I'm not convinced "funnest iPod yet" is proper. But who cares.
kavika411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:40 PM   #9
ranguvar
macrumors 6502

Please don't revive it! Apple's not going to change the world like Einstein, Gandhi, etc. did. Such a campaign degrades the work of those people.
ranguvar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:41 PM   #10
w00master
macrumors 65816

Bring back the rainbow Apple logo!!!
w00master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:44 PM   #11
zombitronic
macrumors 65816

If it's true that "much of [their] information is incorrect" - Steve Jobs, regarding the tablet design, this could be a really cool and effective campaign to revive.
zombitronic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:44 PM   #12
mambodancer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranguvar View Post
Please don't revive it! Apple's not going to change the world like Einstein, Gandhi, etc. did. Such a campaign degrades the work of those people.
Boy did you miss the point of the ad.

And yes, Apple has changed the world in very real and subtle ways that matter, with or without people knowing it, for millions of people.
mambodancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:45 PM   #13
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Heh....

I'd love to see the "Think Different" campaign revived. I think there are PLENTY of great inventors, scientists and other people worthy of displaying in a new series of those ads. (Maybe they could try to do them all in color instead of black & white this time, to differentiate them from the original ads? They could go with more recent people, to make that workable? Although I would like to see Tesla recognized at least....)

But the rainbow Apple logo?? No thanks. That was fine in the 80's, when personal computers supporting color graphics was a *big deal*. (Radio Shack even had the "Tandy Color Computer" series back then.) But now? It just reminds me of those gay pride stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
yes, think different and think about putting back the rainbow Apple logo!!
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:56 PM   #14
strangefate
macrumors newbie

A funny thing is that if they were to revive this campaign and feature new people, Bill Gates should be one of them.
strangefate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:56 PM   #15
tuhoops
macrumors member

think differentLY!!!!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:56 PM   #16
wilycoder
macrumors 6502

Apple is going to think different by reusing an old ad campaign.

How very.....different!
wilycoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:57 PM   #17
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombitronic View Post
If it's true that "much of [their] information is incorrect" - Steve Jobs, regarding the tablet design, this could be a really cool and effective campaign to revive.
My thoughts exactly. There will be something about this device that no one will see coming, thus the rebirth of a great marketing campaign.

I really liked those posters
NT1440 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:57 PM   #18
swissmann
macrumors 6502a

I loved the old ad campaign. I loved apple when they were the rebels and trouble makers.

Now in some respects they are hypocrites. What if I want to think different and use an iPhone without AT&T? How about wanting to watch a High Def movie on my Mac without needing to buy it through iTunes (Blu-Ray anyone), or use a non iPod with iTunes.

It's OK with Apple if you think different as long as that different is the same different than Apple is thinking.

Please allow me choice so I can think different the way I want to.

(And I agree with differently being more accurate but for some reason doesn't have that quirkiness that seems to fit the campaign).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:59 PM   #19
gudin
macrumors newbie

grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
I like it, although I'm not convinced that "think different" is proper grammar ("differently"), just as I'm not convinced "funnest iPod yet" is proper. But who cares.
I've always disliked the comments I saw about this allegedly being grammar. It is NOT bad grammar if "different" describes WHAT you are thinking rather than the WAY you are thinking. English, just like other languages, is actually quite flexible.

My 2 cents.

Think Different.
gudin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:00 PM   #20
talkingfuture
macrumors 65816

Hope this is true, its the perfect slogan for Apple. In Mac vs PC sales anyway.
talkingfuture is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:02 PM   #21
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Not really "Think Different" really applies anymore.

They use all the same components as every other computer (Intel chips) and the iPhone is phone everyone tries to copy so it's not really different.

So I don't know what is different...

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:04 PM   #22
miketcool
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranguvar View Post
I don't know, I might have to agree...

Apple Computer, the company for the people. Innovative thinking to help us use computers, better.

vs.

Apple Corp., the company that is trying to gain global media dominance. Innovative thinking to create a media centric empire.

I think Apple using the likenesses of those great people nowadays for profit is kind of strange. The "Think Different" people Apple SHOULD connect with are more like Henry Ford, great visionary business leaders.

Still one of the best ad campaigns of our time!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:05 PM   #23
NeverhadaPC
macrumors 6502

Love it!
NeverhadaPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:06 PM   #24
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmann View Post
I loved the old ad campaign. I loved apple when they were the rebels and trouble makers.

Now in some respects they are hypocrites. What if I want to think different and use an iPhone without AT&T? How about wanting to watch a High Def movie on my Mac without needing to buy it through iTunes (Blu-Ray anyone), or use a non iPod with iTunes.

It's OK with Apple if you think different as long as that different is the same different than Apple is thinking.

Please allow me choice so I can think different the way I want to.

(And I agree with differently being more accurate but for some reason doesn't have that quirkiness that seems to fit the campaign).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Not really "Think Different" really applies anymore.

They use all the same components as every other computer (Intel chips) and the iPhone is phone everyone tries to copy so it's not really different.

So I don't know what is different...
Microsoft Windows: 90%+ of computers in the world

Apple/Mac/iDevice: NOT WINDOWS

Thats the point of the campaign, no consumer seriously looks so far into advertising that they look at components, openness on networks, etc.

You need to remember we are tech geeks here, apples main audience doesn't look that far into/care about any of this.
NT1440 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:07 PM   #25
dwman
macrumors 6502

That campaign worked well when Apple was struggling to return to prominence, but it doesn't make a lot of sense now that ipods, ipod touch & iphones are the standard these days. Maybe for this mythical tablet, but SJ doesn't believe in looking back, so not sure why they would do this. I agree that anything is better then the Mac vs PC ads of the last few years. Move forward, I say.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion