Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Computerworld reports on data from research firm Net Applications showing that Google's Chrome browser has slipped past Apple's Safari to snag third place in worldwide Internet browser market share behind Internet Explorer and Firefox. The surge comes on the heels of the official release of beta versions of Chrome for both Mac and Linux.
According to Net Applications, which tracks the browser habits of 160 million unique visitors each month to the 40,000 sites it monitors for customers, Chrome's share jumped to 4.4% for the week of Dec. 6-12, an increase of 0.4 percentage points over Google's slice of the browser pie for the month of November.

Chrome's share during the week topped Safari's 4.37%, said Vince Vizzaccaro, executive vice president of Net Applications. "It appears that Chrome has made a substantial surge in usage market share," Vizzaccaro said in an e-mail.
Chrome reportedly experienced a four-fold jump in market share on Mac with the release of the beta version, which marked a milestone release for a product that had previously been available only as developer preview releases. Some of the growth is undoubtedly due to curious users simply trying out Chrome for the first time before switching back to their primary browser, but Chrome's official beta status will likely continue to attract new users going forward.

Benchmarks have shown that Chrome, which is based on the same WebKit engine used by Safari, performs well when it comes to speed on Mac OS X, but is lacking a number of features that will not make their appearances until later beta releases.

Article Link: Chrome Drops Safari Into Fourth Place Among Browsers

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
When I'm using my Dell PC at work, I use Google Chrome rather than Safari. Safari for Windows (at least XP) freezes way too much to be very usable.

When I'm on my Macs at home, I use Safari. I have been trying out Google Chrome on my Mac and I like it, but it doesn't seem too different from Safari (speed wise).

In the end, I think that Google Chrome will do better on PCs than on Macs.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Oh well.
If Apple wants to reclaim it they need to make Safari competitive on Windows.

I adore Safari on my Mac, but I've never suggested it to any of my Windows-using friends. It just doesn't seem to be as great on that side of the fence.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
4th is where it should be - behind Chrome, Firefox, and I'm afraid to say, IE. IE + Flash on Windows is great compared to Safari+Fash/ The moment you're browsing modern flash rich websites, Safari is a mess.

At this point, the usual 'oh - but flash is dreadful' apologists come in. Tough - Flash IS a massive massive part of the modern browsing experience, and it being a complete mess under OS X and Safari is why Safari has dropped to 4th.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Well sure, you get all the fanatical Google nerds downloading it, Chrome was bound to over take it. I honestly don't think Apple cares about the browser competition. And it really is irrelevant, anyways.

Tommeh

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I replaced Safari on the iMac by Chrome as it's default browser. Safari kept beachballing on me when opening a new tab and I don't feel it's responsiveness since the update to 4. I like Chrome so far.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Oh well.
If Apple wants to reclaim it they need to make Safari competitive on Windows.

I adore Safari on my Mac, but I've never suggested it to any of my Windows-using friends. It just doesn't seem to be as great on that side of the fence.

I agree 100%. I have used Safari on my work PC and its nothing special.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I say Safari on a Mac and Chrome on a PC, since they are both based off the amazing webkit they both fly compared to competitors.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm loving Chrome so far.

Been using it on OSX for a while now and also on Windows and Linux. Firefox was a bit crash happy so I decided to switch to Chrome and it's been a great browser since using it.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I am not surprised. Safari on windows is a pile of crap. Apple yet again filed to conform to the standards on windows in how everything how everything is laid out and tried to force its way on people. Apple really needs to learn that when it makes software for windows it needs to conform to windows standard menu and interface layout that everyone else uses for windows.

The masses do not like changed. Chrome on windows with the little I played with it conforms but I still will back to my Firefox because that is what I have become used to. Nothing has come out that offers me enough better stuff to get me to changed.

Safira may be better than IE but it is not that much better that people are willing to change. The other browsers are and the popularity of them is bleeding over to apple and stealing more market share there.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
And what's so compelling about the Chrome Browser over others?

It's fast. It's 'snappy'. It lets you open up a new google-search tab from selected text. It'll default to Google UK if you want. It doesn't vomit each time a website has flash.

Functionally and practically, it's far far superior to Safari.

veloceraptor

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Well sure, you get all the fanatical Google nerds downloading it, Chrome was bound to over take it. I honestly don't think Apple cares about the browser competition. And it really is irrelevant, anyways.

Didn't Steve Jobs say at WWDC 07 that he "dreams big.. and he would love Safari's market share to grow substantially"?

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
And what's so compelling about the Chrome Browser over others?

I like the UI and its simplicity. I like it's speed, as it has a wicked fast Javascript engine, and I like the lack of bloat.

IE, need I say anything about that browser?
Firefox, rich in plugins that I have no interest in. It's also bloated as far as time it takes to start up, and it's UI layout is unattractive. I know there are plugins and themes that can help, but I still can't match the sleek UI that Chrome offers.
Safari, compared to Firefox on Mac, it's better as far as UI goes, but I find it to be dated. I like the Safari 4 beta UI better with the tabs on the top. Since I prefer the tabs on the top, why should I use Safari? I don't see a reason to use it.

tenguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
Chrome on a Mac

I have no idea of the pros & cons of Chrome & Safari on a PC but I tried Chrome on my Mac & went right back to Safari. Even with Safari though, I have to occasionally use Firefox as an alternative for opening some pages. I'll leave Chrome to the PC crowd.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Chrome is being advertised this week in the UK, there are billboards up advertising it, and full page adverts in the newspapers.

I've been using Chrome on my work PC for over a year now, and it has proven to be an excellent browser that is now maturing nicely. Flashblock, yay!

I put the beta on my Linux netbook, and that is there to stay now.

The tabs on top is lovely. The beta lets you pin tabs as well, which is really handy. The interface is nippy and feels light, unlike Firefox.

Safari was what I used on my Mac, but I feel that once Chrome is out of Mac Beta that will be my primary browser there as well.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
I'd be all over Chrome if it didn't lack a Bookmark Manager. How on earth a "feature" as basic as that could be put off is beyond me. If you can't manage your bookmarks wtf is the point? Very stupid decision on Google's part.

That said, I can't stand Safari's bookmark system. I can handle the sidebar, but let me leave it open the whole time, don't close it when I choose a site. Or hey, give me a drop down menu.

Firefox does it for me.

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
Chrome is very quick at what it does. Quick to start, quick to render. It's very lightweight.

For all that, I can't possibly use Chrome as my primary browser; I keep it installed for WebKit testing only. It lacks way too much functionality and tweakability for my tastes. I use Firefox to fill that need -- Firefox either meets all of my requirements, or there's an extension that does. I also don't find it slow at all -- you want slow, try just opening a new tab in IE. Good God.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Interesting.

According to Net Apps Mac OS market share has dropped from 5.27% to 5.12% and Windows 7 is already up to 4%.

Mind you, these stats are questionable at the best of times I suppose.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
At this point, the usual 'oh - but flash is dreadful' apologists come in. Tough - Flash IS a massive massive part of the modern browsing experience, and it being a complete mess under OS X and Safari is why Safari has dropped to 4th.

Oh yeah? Show some fact that actually say Safari dropped to 4th because of Flash running poor on it.

It's very relevant, it's important that Apple get Safari as high on the browser ladder as possible. The world needs to drop I.E. It's frustrating that some companies still use I.E. with Active X controls activated to create their websites which virtually tells other browsers to "Get lost, you have no power here without Active X". This same experience is on the Windows side, forcing you to stop using FF, Safari or any other browser that's not I.E.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.