Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cumanzor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Oh yeah? Show some fact that actually say Safari dropped to 4th because of Flash running poor on it.

It's very relevant, it's important that Apple get Safari as high on the browser ladder as possible. The world needs to drop I.E. It's frustrating that some companies still use I.E. with Active X controls activated to create their websites which virtually tells other browsers to "Get lost, you have no power here without Active X". This same experience is on the Windows side, forcing you to stop using FF, Safari or any other browser that's not I.E.

The thing is that Chrome and Firefox are already on working on that. And to a lesser extent Opera.

Honestly, Safari is great on Windows.... but the lack of simple addons (or features that Opera already has) is just a killer for me.

I went from IE to Firefox to Opera. Been using Opera for the last couple of years. Now switched to Chrome because it's faster than Opera, and well, addons.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
chrome is for the cloud, you're supposed to use delicious or google bookmarks or google reader

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
When I'm using my Dell PC at work, I use Google Chrome rather than Safari. Safari for Windows (at least XP) freezes way too much to be very usable.

When I'm on my Macs at home, I use Safari. I have been trying out Google Chrome on my Mac and I like it, but it doesn't seem too different from Safari (speed wise).

In the end, I think that Google Chrome will do better on PCs than on Macs.

As soon as chrome supports extensions, bye bye Safari-on-mac for me.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
It also tanks your processor at least on my unibody 13 inch. I'm sure it will be a great browser in time, which is a good thing.

maxfan1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
What's up with Google trying to copy Apple in everything they do?

OS, Phone, Browser

It's like all they can do is copy copy copy. They're worse than Microsoft.

What about some innovation Google? Stop milking your cash cow search just so you can expand into other markets.

You can learn a thing or two from Apple.

zapblast

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
FL
IMO, this is deserved. I like Safari but it's annoying that some things don't render properly when a page is zoomed (I zoom pages a lot due to my weak eyes). The Mac beta of Chrome is not afflicted by these problems. If Chrome were able to access the Mac dictionary from the right click menu, I'd switch to Chrome. For now though, I'm still switching back and forth between the two. Though I may end up making my move to Chrome permanent.

ski1ski1

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Safari is my prime browser for one reason: cookie management. Chrome has to be able to not accept third party/tracking cookies, or a lot of security freaks won't touch it and come up with a lot horror stories for the tech media to grab onto.

Chrome has the option to not accept third party cookies. That option is on the 'Under the Hood' settings.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What's up with Google trying to copy Apple in everything they do?

OS, Phone, Browser

It's like all they can do is copy copy copy. They're worse than Microsoft.

What about some innovation Google? Stop milking your cash cow search just so you can expand into other markets.

You can learn a thing or two from Apple.

Did Apple invent the Operating System, phones and Web Browsers? :eek:

You learn something new every day! ;)

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
Apple needs to give Safari a serious make-over. Especially in it's bookmark management feature. And let's give some real attention to the Flash issues on OSX.

STILL...I prefer Safari and how it's intertwined with the OSX ecosystem.. I'm not fine with Google's data mining practices.

Also: Safari dropped to fourth place....ON PC'S. Not Macs.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
chrome is for the cloud, you're supposed to use delicious or google bookmarks or google reader

No your not. Maybe you are confusing the Chrome browser with the Chrome OS which does a lot of things in the cloud. The browser has a fully functioning bookmark manager but it isn't enabled in the betas for the Mac yet. It will have it enabled before the stable release early next year.

exFictitiouZ

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Despite its lack of some essential features, I've to admit that Chrome for Mac is a very impressive browser because of its speed and its simplicity.

Like Safari, it also features Speed Dial that I love. Added with several beachballs I've been getting from Safari lately, I hardly use Safari anymore since Chrome promotion to beta status.

ski1ski1

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Also: Safari dropped to fourth place....ON PC'S. Not Macs.

Wrong! Safari dropped to fourth place for all OS's as a whole. Of course the browser marketshare on each individual OS will be different. Net Applications marketshare data included Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I am not surprised. Safari on windows is a pile of crap. Apple yet again filed to conform to the standards on windows in how everything how everything is laid out and tried to force its way on people. Apple really needs to learn that when it makes software for windows it needs to conform to windows standard menu and interface layout that everyone else uses for windows.

The masses do not like changed. Chrome on windows with the little I played with it conforms but I still will back to my Firefox because that is what I have become used to. Nothing has come out that offers me enough better stuff to get me to changed.

Safira may be better than IE but it is not that much better that people are willing to change. The other browsers are and the popularity of them is bleeding over to apple and stealing more market share there.

Thanks for the astute analysis of nothing.

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
When I'm using my Dell PC at work, I use Google Chrome rather than Safari. Safari for Windows (at least XP) freezes way too much to be very usable.

When I'm on my Macs at home, I use Safari. I have been trying out Google Chrome on my Mac and I like it, but it doesn't seem too different from Safari (speed wise).

In the end, I think that Google Chrome will do better on PCs than on Macs.

Safari will continue to sink in the ratings until Apple decides to fix actual reported problems: like the blank pages display on Earthlink's start page (other sites, too) that has been reported and discussed to death on Apple discussion site since Safari 4.0. The same page works fine on Firefox et al.

Apple: wake up...quality is job one. Cuteness is fine, but it has work.

Every single person in the world could log in here and ooze on and on about "Google" this or "Google" that but I would not touch it.

The tipping point for me was Eric Schmidt's comments on privacy. Google has been removed from my life. This past weekend my extended family got together at my mom's house and I helped them removed anything Google and set all searches to ixquick.com.

I can't get over everyone ripping on Microsoft and then standing in line to take it from Google.

theNEOone

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
NYC
Not surprised. Downloaded Chrome the day the beta became available and have been using it instead of Safari ever since. Much faster and more stable (oddly enough). That's not to say that Safari ever crashed it me - it was just an issue of beach balls stalling my browsing. I can live without the added features for now. I was mainly concerned with the 3-finger gestures for navigating back and forth, which thankfully have been included.

=|

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Quicktime, iTunes, and Safari don't run as well in Windows. It isn't Windows because it other applications fine. Apple made them as bad as Microsoft did with the Mac version of Office.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Been using Chrome for a few days now. I really like it. The only grip/issue I have is, I wish I could have my bookmarks go down the side like they do in FF. Other then that.

I never really used Safari. I have pretty much been on FF since day one of owning a Mac. So now I am splitting my time between FF and Chrome.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
4th is where it should be - behind Chrome, Firefox, and I'm afraid to say, IE. IE + Flash on Windows is great compared to Safari+Fash/ The moment you're browsing modern flash rich websites, Safari is a mess.

At this point, the usual 'oh - but flash is dreadful' apologists come in. Tough - Flash IS a massive massive part of the modern browsing experience, and it being a complete mess under OS X and Safari is why Safari has dropped to 4th.

I would agree with that too but maybe for somewhat different reasons. Many of us with Macs use Safari--I personally like it better than Firefox and I've not tried Chrome yet. But when you factor in Windows, it is no surprise that Safari would drop down to fourth.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
The IE Hegemony...

I only care about one thing as far as this debate is concerned. The IE hegemony is on its way out because of Chrome, Safari, Firefox. The number of web sites that are "optimized" for IE, meaning they work only with IE, are in sharp decline as developers can no longer ignore the other browsers out there.

As for the troll baiting, the personal opinions spewed out as fact, the obligatory Apple/Safari bashing, who the hell gives a damn?:confused:

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
And what's so compelling about the Chrome Browser over others?

the thing that comes into my mind is the Multi process, multi thread approach, so tabs are better separated.
and that's the only reason i will give it a try.
Another thing i start to miss in Safari 4 was the tabs on the top, but ok, it was never a stable feature.

maxfan1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Are fanboys this blind?

If you can't see the obvious, then your the blind one around here. Do you really think if they didn't have a monopoly in search they would be able to push Chrome this quickly?

They're leveraging a monopoly in one sector to get a monopoly in another just like MS. I am suprised they haven't been hit with anti trust suit yet.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Good news to keep competition high I suppose, but I'd like to see these figures again in a month. Wouldn't surprise me if the surge was just people trying out Chrome, only to switch back to Safari or Firefox (or perhaps just stay with Chrome).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.