Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Purchased iSlate.com in 2007. Apple's New Tablet Called iSlate?

With rumors of the Apple tablet reaching new highs, MacRumors has found evidence of that Apple acquired the domain name iSlate.com presumably in preparation for the new device.

The iSlate.com domain was originally registered in October 2004 by a comany called Eurobox Ltd. It since changed hands to Data Docket, Inc. in 2006. In 2007, however, the domain was transferred to registrar MarkMonitor.com. MarkMonitor handles domain name registrations and trademark protections for many companies including Apple. As typical, however, the name of the actual registrant was initially hidden to obscure the identify of the actual owner. Up until this point, one could still easily dismiss all this as a simple coincidence.

However, after further investigation of the domain name registrant history, it seems Apple's name was temporarily exposed as the actual owner of "iSlate.com" for several weeks in late 2007. It was changed back within a few weeks, but MacRumors has found the historic record proving Apple ownership of the iSlate.com domain:

Historic Whois record for iSlate.com
iSlate.com currently points to no website. Apple is rumored to be announcing an Apple tablet in early 2010 and given this evidence "iSlate" seems a likely candidate for the device's name.

Thanks to Mark Gurman from AppleRejectedMe.com for first pointing us in the direction of iSlate.com

Article Link: Apple Purchased iSlate.com in 2007. Apple's New Tablet Called iSlate?

Last edited by arn; Dec 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:04 PM   #2
celticpride678

Yet more evidence that the Apple Tablet is coming!
celticpride678 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3
robsaskibum
macrumors newbie

Ugh..

I really hope they don't call it the iSlate...
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:07 PM   #4
ahuman7341
macrumors regular

Might I be the first to say that is an awful name.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:08 PM   #5
aeaglex07
macrumors 6502

I hope that really is the name of the tablet..
aeaglex07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6
sesnir
macrumors 6502

The "i" prefix is so worn out.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:10 PM   #7
BJB Productions
macrumors 6502a

iSlate..I don't know..That sounds pretty good, although it also could kinda sound like "iRock" or "iStone" don't want to sound stone age.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:12 PM   #8
J the Ninja
macrumors 68000

It's better than "iTablet", "MacBook Nano" or recycling "iBook" (there are some of those still in service, after all).

Good scoop, Arn.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:12 PM   #9
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Jason Chen talked about the name 'making sense.' I feel Slate is perfectly applicable. The 'i' makes sense in front of phone but slate should be it's own.

I'd buy a Slate.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:13 PM   #10
hwhalers
macrumors regular

People register domains like it's going out of style. Particularly corporations. Hell, Verizon owns 'verizonsucks.com'. I know people with tiny companies that own dozens of vaguely related domains simply because they don't want a potential competitor or disgruntled customer with ill will to gank it and use it against them. I think Apple owning iSlate.com means very, very little.
hwhalers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:16 PM   #11
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

iSlate = is late. Not going to happen.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:18 PM   #12
Skoal
macrumors 6502

WOW, that would be a terrible name.....For anything! And yes the I prefix is getting real old!
Skoal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:19 PM   #13
cmaier
macrumors G3

Probably nothing. They needed to protect the i* names for trademark reasons, and registration costs pocket change.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:21 PM   #14
klrobinson999
macrumors 6502

The editor of the NY Times DID call it the 'Apple Slate'.

They will never get the domain name for slate.com, since that's an on-line magazine (originally started by Microsoft, ironically).

The Apple Slate sounds nice. iSlate just sounds...stupid.
klrobinson999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:21 PM   #15
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

I think the name Slate is better than iSlate, but whatever. Sounds better than most of the names being tossed around.
zedsdead is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:21 PM   #16
str1f3
macrumors 68000

iSlate isn't totally horrible. Would have liked iPad better. It doesn't have the same ring as iPhone. Anyway what's in a name?
str1f3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:22 PM   #17
Revelation78
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Revelation78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
Probably nothing. They needed to protect the i* names for trademark reasons, and registration costs pocket change.

I would agree here, myself. iSlate is still better than iTablet; though either name could be discarded for the better. MacTablet has my vote until I see or hear of a better name.
Revelation78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:23 PM   #18
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
well, not if you buy it from an existing owner.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:23 PM   #19
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a

I'm conflicted on this name. I am hoping that the tablet, if/when released, would be available without contract lock-in. This diminishes my hopes a little bit. I would think that if this was designed as a more fully featured device, it would carry the "Mac" prefix carried by Apple's computing products (with the exception of the iMac, but that's been around for a decade). With this name, my impression is that the tablet might not be as fully featured as I had hoped; it could possibly be sold under a contract plan, as with the iPhone and AT&T. Hopefully this isn't very bad news. Of course, this is all ramblings based off of a domain name registration. Regardless, I'm crossing my fingers.
milbournosphere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:25 PM   #20
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I hate the name.

How about an iTab? iTap?

idk, I want it to start with an i prefix with a T immediately following... and maybe it should end in an X?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:28 PM   #21
Neotyguy40
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB Productions View Post
I agree.
iDon't...

Look, first it was e, and now it is i. Would you rather it be o?

oPhone
oPod
oMac

Or u?

uPhone
uPod
uMac
Neotyguy40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:29 PM   #22
str1f3
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation78 View Post
I would agree here, myself. iSlate is still better than iTablet; though either name could be discarded for the better. MacTablet has my vote until I see or hear of a better name.
Except that from all evidence this is not a Mac though I hope it has more of the capabilities of the Mac OS.
str1f3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:30 PM   #23
iMacmatician
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by milbournosphere View Post
I'm conflicted on this name. I am hoping that the tablet, if/when released, would be available without contract lock-in. This diminishes my hopes a little bit. I would think that if this was designed as a more fully featured device, it would carry the "Mac" prefix carried by Apple's computing products (with the exception of the iMac, but that's been around for a decade). With this name, my impression is that the tablet might not be as fully featured as I had hoped; it could possibly be sold under a contract plan, as with the iPhone and AT&T. Hopefully this isn't very bad news. Of course, this is all ramblings based off of a domain name registration. Regardless, I'm crossing my fingers.
It just told me that it'll probably be under the "i" family of devices and run iPhone OS (using corresponding hardware) instead of being under the "Mac" family of devices (using corresponding hardware). Agreed that an "i" device won't be as fully featured as a "Mac" device, but I don't think that necessarily means a contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I hate the name.

How about an iTab? iTap?
iTap sounds like an Apple faucet.

Quote:
idk, I want it to start with an i prefix with a T immediately following... and maybe it should end in an X?
iTax?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:30 PM   #24
J the Ninja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I hate the name.

How about an iTab? iTap?

No, that is almost worse than "i". Apple pulls out the "X" or the word "Pro" whenever some product is too badass/hardcore for an "i"

-Mac OS X
-Quicktime X
-XCode
-XGrid
-XServe
-Somewhere in Final Cut (actually Compressor) is "CompressorTranscoderX"
-There's a rumor about "Aperture X"
-"Xmac"
-Final Cut Pro
-Logic Pro
-MacBook Pro
-Mac Pro
-Soundtrack Pro
-Quicktime Pro
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:33 PM   #25
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Well, I know opinions are like **********, everybody has one lol, but here's mine.

iDon't like it. MacTab or MacAnything would be a better option in my opinion. Then again, I also didn't like the rudimentary "iPhone" when it was announced. For a device that is more than a "phone", I thought iMobile would have been better.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion