Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hit2cho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Los Angeles
I've had the computer for over a year. It is currently insured with the Applecare. It seems like the adapter's cord is starting to show some normal wear-and-tear. It still works (i.e., still charging my computer), but I'm afraid that it will either rip or cause a short sometime. I've never dinged the charger. It just seems like the coiling made it come apart. See the picture below. Will Apple replace this under the warranty, or will I have to rake out $80 for a new one if this one gives way?

image: (http://imgur.com/PAGPB.jpg)

edit - I just got off the phone with an Apple rep, and he will be shipping me a new adapter. I'll just have to send him back the damaged one. Thanks, guys!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accident, wear and tear, etc. They only cover defects in manufacturing.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Yes, they'll replace it. Visit your local Apple Store and they'll replace it on the spot. Or call AppleCare and they'll overnight a replacement adapter to you. Their number in the U.S. 1-800-275-2273.

Ok....they should replace it...that doesn't mean they will replace it. Sometimes the Geniuses at the Apple Store give you a hard time, so if you don't get it replaced there just call the number ziggy provided.

I had a similar problem a few years back. The Genius refused, but phone support sent me one via overnight Fedex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.