Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:55 AM   #1
srowndedbyh2o
macrumors regular

iPhone hands free phone audio through car speakers

I currently use a Kensington LiquidAUX car kit to both charge my iPhone and play tunes through my car stereo speakers via the auxiliary port in my car. The sound quality is much better than one of those FM transmitters. However, when making/receiving phone calls, the music fades out then the call comes in over the iPhones own speaker. The volume on the iPhone speaker is too low to be of use for hands-free phone calls, unless Iím stopped, and windows rolled up.
Does anyone know of a device that will function like the LiquidAUX (charge iPhone and play audio through aux port) with the addition of the phone call audio coming through the car speakers instead of the iPhone speaker? Seems like this would be the ideal device, and Iím surprised I canít locate one.
srowndedbyh2o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
cdinca
macrumors 6502

Parot MKI9200

http://www.parrot.com/tur/runler/parrot-mki9200

frequent firmware updates have kept this thing working perfect through every iPhone update.
cdinca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
srowndedbyh2o
macrumors regular

The Parrot does look pretty nice. Since itís using the base to connect to the stereo system, is it also charging the iPhone when itís plugged in? I didnít see any mention of it on their website. Iím hoping to find something that just plugs in, rather than having to be installed. Also, Iíve read many negative reviews about the Parrot. Maybe itís due to lack of firmware updates?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:57 AM   #4
HellDiverUK
macrumors 6502

I have an Alpine stereo in my car, with the Alpine/Parrot Bluetooth. The normal iPod lead plugs in to the USB port on the head unit, and the bluetooth does all the phone call stuff through the car's speakers.

Stereo is a CDA-105Ri, the BT unit for it is the KCA-BT400.
HellDiverUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:22 PM   #5
gunzmaiet
macrumors regular

did you try putting the call on and off speaker-phone
gunzmaiet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:38 PM   #6
cdinca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by srowndedbyh2o View Post
The Parrot does look pretty nice. Since itís using the base to connect to the stereo system, is it also charging the iPhone when itís plugged in? I didnít see any mention of it on their website. Iím hoping to find something that just plugs in, rather than having to be installed. Also, Iíve read many negative reviews about the Parrot. Maybe itís due to lack of firmware updates?
Yes, it charges it.

You read negatives about the mki 9200?! That surprises me. They have released several firmware updates for that model. Besides the occasional glitch, I have had no problems. We have 3 different iPhones that pair with it. You don't have to do anything, just start the car, and everything pairs on its own. You only plug it in if you want to charge your phone or have full control of your music. You can also play the iPod or pandora via Bluetooth. You can even plug in a thumb drive or sd card with music on it. You do firmware updates via thumbdrive.

OK, I gushing, but I do love that thing
cdinca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:32 PM   #7
srowndedbyh2o
macrumors regular

Quote:
did you try putting the call on and off speaker-phone
Yeah, I tried that. Funny thing is, when Iím dialing on the iPhone keypad, each time I press a number, the ďbeepĒ sound comes through the car speakers, but as soon as the phone connection is made, the audio switches over from the car speakers to the iPhone

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories