Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helmut Kool

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2003
How can I enable searching the standard Java API classes in XCode documentation window? When I type text in the search field, it only searches from com.apple.*, so it doesn't find for example java.awt.Image.

I'm using XCode 1.5 and I have installed the latest Java updates (including development package). Searching used to work in 1.1 at least sometimes.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Not a giant help, but have you opened up ../Resources/Documentation/Reference/doc/api/index.html in the Java folder? Nice view of all the classes.

Edit: you can get to this within Xcode, but it's easier, I think, to open it directly.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Have you already done the required Terminal command:
Code:
sudo /Developer/ADC\ Reference\ Library/documentation/Java/scripts/unjarJavaDocumentation.sh

to unpack all the files?

Helmut Kool

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2003
Yes, I have unpacked the documentation and I can browse the API HTML files from XCode (and otherwise). But being able to search would be useful when you don't know exactly what class or function you need.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Helmut Kool said:
Yes, I have unpacked the documentation and I can browse the API HTML files from XCode (and otherwise). But being able to search would be useful when you don't know exactly what class or function you need.
Oh, I completely agree. I tend to use Eclipse or JBuilder personal Edition for Java coding and hadn't looked all that much into using Xcode for it, but 1.5 tempts me. If I find out anything, I'll post back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.