Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:25 PM   #1
scorpion nebula
macrumors newbie

"Two-sided" printing option grayed out in "layout" drop down of Canon MX700 printer

Hi everyone,

I've converted from Windows to the new Macbook and have run in to a problem with my printer (Canon MX700). One of the functions I used often when connected to a PC was the double sided printing function. After installing the latest Mac drivers from Canon's American homepage I get a lot of printing options on my mac, but under layout the double sided printing option is marked gray and I'm unable choose this option.

Has anybody noticed something similar using a canon printer? Any ideas concerning how to fix this?

Thanks!
scorpion nebula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
danielbriggs
macrumors 6502

I had a very similar problem.
I have 3 HP printers, (2 inkjet and 1 colour laser), none of them have automatic duplexing. But support manual two sided printing. However I came to print a two sided document today on my HP laser and the two sided printing option was greyed out. Now I used this LOADS in the past, so something must have changed. Turns out some new HP drivers came through on Apple Software Update, and somehow broke the manual duplexing (Driver Version 1.2.0.224). So I deleted the printer and found some older drivers, popped them in, at it worked - the option was no longer greyed out.

I also have a Canon iP4300 printer - however the option was never greyed out for me - manual duplexing has always worked.

So: Try getting some "older" drivers. It may bring back the option for whatever reason.

If not, try opening up System Preferences -> Print and Fax -> Click on the Printer -> Options and Supplies -> Driver Tab. Then look for a duplexing tick box. This needs to be ticked to do 2 sided automatic printing if you printer has a duplexer.

Hope that helps,
Dan
danielbriggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:39 AM   #3
rosshuggett
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to rosshuggett
That worked for me. Thanks.
rosshuggett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4
drolling
macrumors newbie

Some what was the fix for MX700 Duplex printing?

rosshuggett what worked? I couldn't find the tick box referenced by danielbriggs nor did updated drivers solve the problem.

So how do you get manual duplex (i.e. two-sided) printing to work from a Mac OSX 10.6 to a Canon MX700?
drolling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:25 AM   #5
dholaday
macrumors member

Try deleting the printer [systems preferences>print & fax]. Then add it back - when asked if you want to add the printer, look for a checkbox that says something like "duplex printing" and check it. That should enable 2-sided printing option in "Layout"

That worked for me.
dholaday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Marie310
macrumors newbie

WorkForce 40 Two-Sided is dimmed

There's no tick box, or delete-and-add driver did not work. Help!
Marie310 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:15 PM   #7
danielbriggs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie310 View Post
There's no tick box, or delete-and-add driver did not work. Help!
Try installing the printer with some older drivers.
danielbriggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:31 AM   #8
bdeitemeyer
macrumors member

Can you guys shed some light on which older drivers have in fact solved this issue for the mx700? Thanks in advance.
bdeitemeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:27 PM   #9
horhay063
macrumors newbie

Almost a solution

I am new to mac as well and I have this problem with my canon mx 320 printer. I have found a band-aid for it though. I tried the driver downloads, I really don't know what I am doing though, and it didn't work. So I have found that if you set your printer to print the pages "Normal" instead of reverse order then print the odd pages of the document first. you can pick up the stack of printed papers, flip them over, put them right back into the paper feed and then print the even pages on back of them. Its kind of inconvenient, but it works.
horhay063 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:36 PM   #10
6killer
macrumors newbie

Two-Sided (duplex) printing on an Epson WF-3520

1. Get to the PRINT dialogue box from the application.
2. Select the PRINTER... option (generally near the PAGE SETUP button)
3. Click OK/YES to get past the Print Setup dialogue box overrides.
4. Select your Printer
5. Under the LAYOUT pull-down menu under the page range to print (e.g. All vs. From 1 to 1) select Two-Sided Printing Settings
6. Under Two-sided Printing: Select either Long-Edge Binding (left side of page) or Short-Edge Binding (top of page)
7. Select the Document Type
8. Click PRINT

NOTE: You can save this under the PRESETS pull-down at the time by selecting SAVE CURRENT SETTINGS AS PRESET and name it something like: Portrait (Duplex).
6killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Giuly
Banned

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6killer View Post
5. In menu under the page range to print (e.g. All vs. From 1 to 1) select Two-Sided Printing Settings
This was grayed out for people, which was the problem. So is it for me, because my printer doesn't have auto-duplexing without an add-on.

You can however print the odd page numbers in normal order (first page first or FIFO; both to select under 'Paper Handling'), then take the stack and insert it with the text facing up and top first, then print even page numbers in reverse order (first page last or FILO). At least that's the way I'm aware of to archive manual duplexing.
Just make sure that you don't end up with non-matching pages because the last page of the document was odd, in that case you have to remove it from the stack before printing the even numbered pages.

Last edited by Giuly; Feb 23, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:38 PM   #12
G1FT3D
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion nebula View Post
Hi everyone,

I've converted from Windows to the new Macbook and have run in to a problem with my printer (Canon MX700). One of the functions I used often when connected to a PC was the double sided printing function. After installing the latest Mac drivers from Canon's American homepage I get a lot of printing options on my mac, but under layout the double sided printing option is marked gray and I'm unable choose this option.

Has anybody noticed something similar using a canon printer? Any ideas concerning how to fix this?

Thanks!
tried everything even down graded my driver...

I am Using A Konica Buzhub 600, on mac realized the printers driver was the problem and using the generic laser printer driver, it allowed the duplexing option to be selected. allowing the two sided printing.
G1FT3D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #13
ozonnnn
macrumors newbie

Duplexer

This worked for me too, thanks.
Two-Sided (duplex) printing on an Epson WF-3520
1. Get to the PRINT dialogue box from the application.
2. Select the PRINTER... option (generally near the PAGE SETUP button)
3. Click OK/YES to get past the Print Setup dialogue box overrides.
4. Select your Printer
5. Under the LAYOUT pull-down menu under the page range to print (e.g. All vs. From 1 to 1) select Two-Sided Printing Settings
6. Under Two-sided Printing: Select either Long-Edge Binding (left side of page) or Short-Edge Binding (top of page)
7. Select the Document Type
8. Click PRINT

NOTE: You can save this under the PRESETS pull-down at the time by selecting SAVE CURRENT SETTINGS AS PRESET and name it something like: Portrait (Duplex).

Last edited by ozonnnn; Aug 1, 2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: solution
ozonnnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:41 AM   #14
Oorla
macrumors newbie

Still need help with duplexing

Hi all,

I have carefully read all the post on this thread to enable duplex.

I have gone into the print and fax on my mac, changed the driver to generic PCL Laser Printer, selected the Duplexer and Ok.

I did notice that the Two-Sided options have now been enabled and so selected the Long-Edge binding. I have also saved it in presets as Portrait Duplex as ozonnnn suggested.

Unfortunately the printer still does not print double sided so I do not know what more to do.

My printer is an HP Laser jet P2035, and just wondering if this is got something to do with specification.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Oorla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 04:04 PM   #15
randulo
macrumors newbie

Double SIded Printing on Mac OS X (Samsing printer)

FOUND IT!!!
(system)
1. Print and scan
2. Open print queue
3. Driver
4. there should be a check box "Duplex Printing Unit"

Check it. This is what kept it from working for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PrinterProxy.png
Views:	164
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	441042  
randulo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals