Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
M

mobcdi

Original poster
Does anyone know if its possible to give each user a profile on an xserve box so that they can VNC or remote desktop connect in to the profile and be given their own instance of a mac Desktop, the hardware would mac it just wouldn't connecting to a unique mac desktop

If thats not possible is there some easy way of giving uses remote access to a mac desktop without having to wire up individual mac desktops?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
It sounds like you are looking for thin clients. This is not something built into OS X server, as far as I know. Here are some possibilities.

1. It sounds like you have individual Macs. Why not use PHDs?
2. 3rd party: http://www.aquaconnect.net/?page_id=26
3. NetBoot, but if you have a Mac that is available for netbooting, you might as well use PHDs.

Only one person can be using a machine at a time, so PHDs would satisfy local logins with user specific profiles or "Desktops."

Maybe I am not interpreting your wants correctly, but one of these would fit the bill.

M

mobcdi

Original poster
I'm not familiar with PHD's can you explain it?
I'm lookng for a thin client solution with the mac server hardware providing the power and mac applications to end users the aqua connect may be 1 solution but would like to keep it to apple if possible

I don't have a suite of mac's so netboot wouldn't apply

I guess the best say to describe is apple offer their lab in a cart with the apple cart, I was wondering if they offered the same thing but with just an xserve to have a lab in a server slot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.