Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of a broad report in advance of Apple's media event scheduled for Wednesday, The Los Angeles Times claims that a team of New York Times employees has been traveling to Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California to work on a new version of the newspaper's iPhone application offering video and optimized for a large-screen tablet device.
Apple has been slowly amassing digital reading material for the forthcoming device. A team from the New York Times has been working in Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters in recent weeks, developing a large-screen version of the newspaper's iPhone application that incorporates video for the yet-to-be-unveiled device, according to one person with knowledge of the matter. A Times spokeswoman declined to comment.
The claim is reminiscent of a story related by the developers of flight simulator application X-Plane 9, who were invited to Cupertino to work alongside Apple's engineers to port their application to the iPhone in hopes of demonstrating it at the company's "Let's Rock" media event in September 2008.

The New York Times has long held a close relationship with Apple in regards to the iPhone platform, frequently finding itself featured in demonstrations at media events and keynotes. Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger, Jr. revealed last week, however, that he will not be attending Apple's media event, and when pressed for comment on Apple's involvement with the newspaper's plans for restructuring online access, said only "Stay tuned."

Article Link: New York Times Reportedly Working Closely With Apple on Tablet App

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
The Financial Times already started its premium service. Online newspapers as we know them today might not be sustainable in the future.

But I don't think that anybody realistically expect Apple to solve this problem with a tablet.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
The Los Angeles Times claims that a team of New York Times employees has been traveling to Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California to work on a new version of the newspaper's iPhone application offering video and optimized for a large-screen tablet device.

LA Times & NY Times related?

Or are they just spying on the competition?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
So the LA Times is tailing the NY Times... Interesting. It's the TV equivalent of Brian Williams following Katie Couric around, chasing a story.

And of course the NYT publisher would say "Stay Tuned." Anything to keep readership up...

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
There is already a great New York Times reader available for both Macs and PCs. The fact that they are producing a version for the iSlate (or whatever it will be called) should be common sense, not a breaking news article.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
So.

MacRumors seems to be forgetting about page 2. They're just recycling old news on the front page. As my Mum always said, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all.

OpenWheelFan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Probably related to their plan to charge frequent readers of the Times online edition.

Agreed. If they can demonstrate that there's an audience that's willing to *pay* for the NYT, with enhanced content, then they can extend that pay-for-play model to their general web offerings. Question is, until they totally paywall off their web site, will Tablet owners flock to their paid service?

I'm more willing to believe that they would be successful walling off specific parts of their site: crosswords, Sunday Magazine, etc.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
The future is here (maybe)

Hardware would be pretty useless without content. I am quite looking forward to all of Apple's possible content partners.

The tablet as a purely media consuming device will be very integrated experience compared to what we have to do currently. Just think I could do a search for a topic/current event and get both free and paid content from a number of leading newspapers, textbook publishers. Or perhaps I can search for an episode of House and get the options to stream from Hulu with ads or buy from iTunes without.

Currently all the content that this tablet will serve is available, just hard for non computer people to access. I want to be able to select a book, read a blurb, some review and buy it all on one device. I want the same experience when I want to read the newspaper, watch a movie or tv show. It would fully integrate the media consumption of an average family.

If this were integrated with say Apple TV so I can steam to my living room. Share it with other tablets that my family has. Play multiplayer games even, maybe a game of cards without shuffling. Just think all those possibilities.

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Why does Apple always use the NYT as a default source of news in its marketing campaigns? Half the country views this newspaper as the propaganda arm of Al Qaeda. They should pair a subscription for the NYT with a subscription to Rush 24/7. He is a Mac User too.;)

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
This is so page 1 stuff

Anything related to the upcoming tablet is by virtue of the topic's proximity to Wednesday Page 1 material.

I have to say though: I think this has got to be the world's longest foreplay. Better get the blue tarp out: Wednesday's orgasm is going to be messy.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The tablet will be useless to me unless it has CAPACITY. I mean it needs to have 128 GB or more storage. I want it to be my all in one MEDIA device, and media needs capacity. Otherwise, I'll stick with my iPhone to portability and my iPod Classic for capacity.

Since there's no way in hell that Apple put a hard drive in this thing, that would mean it would have to use FOUR 32GB flash modules to get to 128 GB (since the 64GB modules are not readily available yet and are still too expensive), which is EXTREMELY unlikely. :(

I'm always extremely UNDERWHELMED by the actual products in Apple's events - it can never live up to all the over-hype that these things get.

Tony

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I'm always extremely UNDERWHELMED by the actual products in Apple's events - it can never live up to all the over-hype that these things get.

Tony

But it's definitely not all the press's fault for overhyping. Apple is the one that calls an event, when in reality, they could just release these things in a short presser.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Why does Apple always use the NYT as a default source of news in its marketing campaigns? Half the country views this newspaper as the propaganda arm of Al Qaeda. They should pair a subscription for the NYT with a subscription to Rush 24/7. He is a Mac User too.;)

"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%." - Douglas Adams

They may only be catering to 50% of the country with the NYT, but it's clearly. . . . .

(not actually true, I prefer NPR. I just think it's idiotic to say that a major US newspaper is the propaganda arm of Al Qaeda. Or to forget that the US is only one country and Apple is interested in other countries)

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
Anything related to the upcoming tablet is by virtue of the topic's proximity to Wednesday Page 1 material.

I have to say though: I think this has got to be the world's longest foreplay. Better get the blue tarp out: Wednesday's orgasm is going to be messy.

Wednesday you'll have one group of Apple fans having an orgasm over it. Then the other half will be screaming at the top of their lungs about how unhappy they are with it and what it should have been or what it should have had, etc....

Just like anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.