Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmaney

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2005
Kindle +

I view the new rumored tablet as a Kindle +. The real question is - how much + is there and what is it? If you have a Kindle for reading books and periodicals then you might be tempted for a few hundred dollars more to go for something that can do what the Kindle does (and probably better) + get other abilities as well. Music, photos, internet, mail, word processing, video conferencing (?), games, apps and who knows what. As far as the, NYT charging for its content, then I would be for a two tier price structure (free with ads and no adds with paid subscription). Storage capacity will be an issue as well as speed. But the good news is - we don't have long to wait - as the NYT said "stay tuned."

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Why does Apple always use the NYT as a default source of news in its marketing campaigns? Half the country views this newspaper as the propaganda arm of Al Qaeda. They should pair a subscription for the NYT with a subscription to Rush 24/7. He is a Mac User too.;)

Might it be that the half of the country that you are referring to is incapable of abstract thought? The same half of the country that believes that the earth is 6000 years old and man saddled up dinosaurs? The same half of the country that denies Global Warming because they don't know the difference between weather and climate.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
It will be nice when Wednesday has come and gone so we can be done with Tablet rumors like these..

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I'm always extremely UNDERWHELMED by the actual products in Apple's events - it can never live up to all the over-hype that these things get.

Tony

Just curious. Are you one of those folks that thinks an iPod is just an MP3 player and an iPhone is just a phone? Well, I thought that about the iPod until I got one and began to realize how this thing could be used for lots more than just tunes. And though I don't have one, I do understand there is much, much more potential in the iPhone than what we now see.

We don't know everything/anything about this device yet, but if half of the rumors are true this new device has the potential to either expand or kill traditional media as we know it ... it just depends on whether you embrace or ignore the new technology. So, yes, I think the "hype" is justified.

And, I've been wanting a small, lightweight, less expensive internet device for a long time. The iPhone/touch is cool, just too small for me. I am "this close" to getting a netbook but decided to wait and see if this new device fits my needs.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
And, I've been wanting a small, lightweight, less expensive internet device for a long time. The iPhone/touch is cool, just too small for me. I am "this close" to getting a netbook but decided to wait and see if this new device fits my needs.

I have a feeling you're going to still be waiting. You'll be able to buy 4 netbooks for the price of one of these tablets.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
I have a feeling you're going to still be waiting. You'll be able to buy 4 netbooks for the price of one of these tablets.

Considering a netbook typically runs about $250-$300 on average, you really think it will be be in the $1,000-$1,200 range? If anything I would think the price point would probably end up somewhere between the iPhone and the Macbook. $699? $799?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Considering a netbook typically runs about $250-$300 on average, you really think it will be be in the $1,000-$1,200 range? If anything I would think the price point would probably end up somewhere between the iPhone and the Macbook. $699? $799?

all rumors have pointed to just under 1000 at anywhere from $899-$999. Apple always overprices their stuff, especially in the beginning to get the lemmings..er..early adopters to buy them at the high price first. Then it will go lower later, maybe.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Why does Apple always use the NYT as a default source of news in its marketing campaigns? Half the country views this newspaper as the propaganda arm of Al Qaeda.

And the other half views the NYT as the propaganda arm of the right wing corporations.

Split the difference and most folks are cool with that.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
all rumors have pointed to just under 1000 at anywhere from $899-$999. Apple always overprices their stuff, especially in the beginning to get the lemmings..er..early adopters to buy them at the high price first. Then it will go lower later, maybe.

That's the pricing curve for ALL products, not just Apple.

You're not just being singled out for attention just because you're Apple fans, dudes... :rolleyes:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Has this been posted? Ton of information from the WSJ about the tablet:

Apple talking to everyone about books and magazines ... and...

"...Apple pitched media companies on a "best of TV" subscription service to television networks under which customers would pay a monthly fee for on-demand access to programs from a bundle of participating TV networks, giving consumers another way to readily access television content. "

Another article talks about the tablet being meant for use by multiple family members, and perhaps having face recognition.

SirROM

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Really?

"Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger, Jr. revealed last week, however, that he will not be attending Apple's media event, and when pressed for comment on Apple's involvement with the newspaper's plans for restructuring online access, said only "Stay tuned.""

What if he isn't going to attend, but will be present anyway, say by video demonstrated on the Tablet? ;)

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I'm always extremely UNDERWHELMED by the actual products in Apple's events - it can never live up to all the over-hype that these things get.

I agree this is typically the case with me too, though I have to say the iPhone demo blew me away - it lived up to the hype and more.

I'm hoping for the same with the mythical iTablet.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This anticipation about the possible tablet is ruining my preparation for my upcoming vacation. Hurry up Wednesday!

globalhemp

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
United States
Apple's New Gig: Advertising & Subscriptions

Apple's hardware innovations have usually included new methods of user input such as the mouse, scroll wheel, and multi-touch. The new tablet will use a "virtual stylus."

Of course, behind every successful product is a business model. iTunes is free for managing music and synching with iPod, iPhone, iTouch, but its also a source of revenue. First with music and now with App Store.

Apple's move into "old media" (e.g., TIME, Sports Illustrated) will allow for two new methods of income: advertising and subscriptions!

You can bet that Apple's tablet will NOT use Google AdSense for delivering ads inside TIME and Sports Illustrated. Apple will have their own ad network. In addition, Apple will generate revenue from subscription and most likely in the 70/30 percentage bracket with Apple receiving 30%.

YEAR DEVICE NEW INPUT REVENUE
===================================================
1983 Macintosh mouse GUI software
2001 iPod scroll wheel iTunes, music, tv, video
2007 iPhone multi-touch AT&T subsidy, App Store
2010 "iSlate" virtual stylus Advertising and subscriptions
===================================================

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Pity though it was

It was a pity that X-Plane didn't get featured as a demo of the iPhone. It's a fabulous program on the Mac and the iPhone App version is great. Very realistic. We could have had the audience barfing in their seats.

pixelcruncher

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Why does Apple always use the NYT as a default source of news in its marketing campaigns? Half the country views this newspaper as the propaganda arm of Al Qaeda. They should pair a subscription for the NYT with a subscription to Rush 24/7. He is a Mac User too.;)

Not sure Rush is in sync with Steve Jobs as a practicing Zen Buddhist - enlightenment comes from introspection not external exhortation :) Rush does a lot of external exhorting.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007

Well that is somewhat funny and all, but ...

... since my criteria are "small, lightweight and less expensive," I guess anything smaller, lighter and less expensive than the Macbook would qualify. On the other hand, if it is $900 I may as well get a Macbook and deal with the extra weight. Oh well, I'll have to wait and see what this thing does.

I haven't gotten the netbook yet because I don't really want to deal with all the patches and updates and other crap. But A hackintosh netbook is still an attractive option, except for all the patches and updates and other crap to get them to work with OSX.

Soooo ... come on Apple. Show me something new and insanely great.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005

I resent that! We're iLemmings, my friend, iLemmings!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I really hope that instead of every periodical and book being a separate app, there's a single reader app. Of course, my hopes are unlikely to be fulfilled :-(

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I agree this is typically the case with me too, though I have to say the iPhone demo blew me away - it lived up to the hype and more.

I'm hoping for the same with the mythical iTablet.

Well, consider what we got in the last few iPhone / iPod events. The iPhone went from 3G to 3GS and got a capacity bump to 32 GB (which is still not big enough) got a little faster (although not nearly twice as fast as claimed), got a slightly less crappier camera (still vastly inferior to other smartphones with still no flash) and a compass that is not very accurate.

The last iPod event saw a similar capacity bump in the iTouch to 64 GB (still VASTLY under the 160 GB on my 3 year old Classic), and added a camera to the Nano ONLY (and to nothing else as had been rumored).

Certainly underwhelming stuff here.

The last "real" event that had any excitement was when the iPhone got "apps" with the 3G introduction 2 years ago. Even then, all Windows Mobile devices had ALREADY had apps for 5 years before that, so this was certainly NOT a revolution of any kind. And really, the "event" here was just a software update to OS 2.0 - not the device itself.

The original iPhone event did not have a "Released" product until 6 months AFTER the event (which may be a similar time frame for the tablet). Even though the original release of the iPhone "seemed" exciting, it really didn't have much going for it compared to other Smartphones at the time EXCEPT for the great 3.5 inch screen and the wonderful multi-touch, the later of which was the real sell point for the phone. It did not run any 3rd party apps at the time which was the killer fault of the phone. I had a HTC Windows Mobile device at the time that blew the original iPhone away EXCEPT for muti-touch.

So these "events" have been underwhelming, especially versus expectations. The tablet will be a cool product but certainly not revolutionary. If it has 128 GB and can run iPhone apps, I'd probably by it as a one device media replacement for my iPod Classic. Otherwise - ho hum........

Tony

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well, consider what we got in the last few iPhone / iPod events. The iPhone went from 3G to 3GS and got a capacity bump to 32 GB (which is still not big enough) got a little faster (although not nearly twice as fast as claimed), got a slightly less crappier camera (still vastly inferior to other smartphones with still no flash) and a compass that is not very accurate.

The last iPod event saw a similar capacity bump in the iTouch to 64 GB (still VASTLY under the 160 GB on my 3 year old Classic), and added a camera to the Nano ONLY (and to nothing else as had been rumored).

Certainly underwhelming stuff here.

The last "real" event that had any excitement was when the iPhone got "apps" with the 3G introduction 2 years ago. Even then, all Windows Mobile devices had ALREADY had apps for 5 years before that, so this was certainly NOT a revolution of any kind. And really, the "event" here was just a software update to OS 2.0 - not the device itself.

The original iPhone event did not have a "Released" product until 6 months AFTER the event (which may be a similar time frame for the tablet). Even though the original release of the iPhone "seemed" exciting, it really didn't have much going for it compared to other Smartphones at the time EXCEPT for the great 3.5 inch screen and the wonderful multi-touch, the later of which was the real sell point for the phone. It did not run any 3rd party apps at the time which was the killer fault of the phone. I had a HTC Windows Mobile device at the time that blew the original iPhone away EXCEPT for muti-touch.

So these "events" have been underwhelming, especially versus expectations. The tablet will be a cool product but certainly not revolutionary. If it has 128 GB and can run iPhone apps, I'd probably by it as a one device media replacement for my iPod Classic. Otherwise - ho hum........

Tony
Are you me? WWDC 2006 or 2007 is the last time I was excited.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This will only be "news" if e-subscriptions are substantially less expensive than dead tree delivery. So far publishers are acting like paper, printing, hard distribution (labor, trucks, fuel, etc) and unsold copies are part of the cost of e-editions.

They do this, of course, because they don't want to undercut the paper edition. Problem is, fewer and fewer read the paper edition. Time for them to recognize the new paradigm or they die. That means bringing back inexpensive newspapers as an e-editions.

If the NYT thinks it can hop on Apple's magic to sell its $2 newspaper electronically, good luck, but its a losing proposition. Not even SJ can save them from that horrible business model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.