Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Rob1980
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Rob1980 Send a message via Skype™ to Rob1980
How to turn iphone off when the screen is not working

As per the title really.

I have an unresponsive screen on an iPhone 3G, I want to replace the screen but I cant turn it off.

Is there any other way to turn the iphone off without having to slide to power off?
Rob1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:26 AM   #2
netdog
macrumors 603

You have to reboot it first (by holding down both buttons until the white Apple appears) and then shut it down.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:34 AM   #3
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post
You have to reboot it first (by holding down both buttons until the white Apple appears) and then shut it down.
Actually, just hold the home and power buttons for like 10 seconds and the phone will turn off.

Last edited by -aggie-; Jan 27, 2010 at 06:06 AM.
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Rob1980
macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, but when I hold the power and home buttons for ten seconds the phone goes to the apple logo then restarts to the lock screen where I cant do anything because the digitizer is faulty.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:05 AM   #5
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
Thanks for the replies, but when I hold the power and home buttons for ten seconds the phone goes to the apple logo then restarts to the lock screen where I cant do anything because the digitizer is faulty.
Sorry I got confused and thought you couldn't see the screen. Just hold home and power until it shuts off (about 7 secs).
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:29 AM   #6
leodavinci0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
What the above poster means is your should hold the home and sleep buttons down until the screen goes black, then immediately release. This will turn it off without rebooting. Holding them down a second longer will cause it to reboot.
leodavinci0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:49 AM   #7
Rob1980
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodavinci0 View Post
What the above poster means is your should hold the home and sleep buttons down until the screen goes black, then immediately release. This will turn it off without rebooting. Holding them down a second longer will cause it to reboot.
Cheers worked a treat, now here's hoping the new screen works
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:19 AM   #8
VarunM
macrumors newbie

How to turn iphone off

Hold and press down the Sleep/Wake button for few seconds. If you just pressed the button once, the screen will go dark but will not turn off your iPhone.
You need to hold the button until you get a screen with “Red Arrow” at the top of the screen displaying “slide to power off.” But if have changed your mind then you can simply tap the cancel button which will appear at the bottom of the screen.
To switch the device off, place your finger on the red arrow and slide it towards the right side.
As your phone is shutting down you will see a spinning circle in the middle of screen. This will shut down your device.
http://gm.kochar.com/post/how-to-tur...n-and-off.aspx
VarunM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Prutessa
macrumors newbie

Question giant image on 4s screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
Actually, just hold the home and power buttons for like 10 seconds and the phone will turn off.
THANK YOU for this. It worked for me. My recurring problem: From time to time, my screen goes JUMBO size to the point where I can't get to the slide bar. Any idea why? Do I have a defective phone? The other iPhone users I know don't have this problem.

Thx.
Prutessa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting