Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Just a sort of wondering out loud kind of question. I have an old G4 and an old PC hooked up to a 17" Monitor, keyboard, and mouse through a KVM switch. If I got an eMac, could I, somehow, unplug the monitor from it and wire it through the KVM? I know that I could have with my old iMac G3. Just an interesting possibility.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
No, there is no input for the eMac to do this. You could have the eMac and PC share another monitor and use the hack to extend your desktop. But you cannot have the PC via KVM display on the eMac screen.

kgarner said:
Just a sort of wondering out loud kind of question. I have an old G4 and an old PC hooked up to a 17" Monitor, keyboard, and mouse through a KVM switch. If I got an eMac, could I, somehow, unplug the monitor from it and wire it through the KVM? I know that I could have with my old iMac G3. Just an interesting possibility.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
If you had XP on your PC you could use Remote Desktop. Or use a TV-Out card on the PC, and external FW TV-In for the Mac. But to answer your question, no, you can't just use the eMac screen. Think of it like a Laptop, only less portable.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
That's too bad. I was hoping you could do something like the iMac where you remove the bottom cover adn unplug the monitor and route the cables through the KVM. That would have been pretty cool. Oh well.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
solvs said:
If you had XP on your PC you could use Remote Desktop. Or use a TV-Out card on the PC, and external FW TV-In for the Mac. But to answer your question, no, you can't just use the eMac screen. Think of it like a Laptop, only less portable.
I really like the Remote Desktop thing, but I use the PC to run AutoCAD and Remote Desktop just doesn't cut it for that. Whenever I draw something I can't see the line until I click the next point, which means I am drawing blind, which sucks.

Been looking at getting PowerCAD for the Mac, but I need to save up a little more, before I can afford that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.