Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 24, 2004, 09:41 PM   #1
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502

56k problems

I just got myself a new dual800 G4 off ebay and I'm having some problems getting the modem to work for me. I've plugged the phone line in and I turn er on. I go into the internet connector and network panel and all of that and where you choose which type of connection, it lists the internal dialup modem, but I can't select it, it's all greyed out. In the system profiler it says there is no modem driver installed. Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

thank you!
dustin

Last edited by amemoryoncelost; Aug 24, 2004 at 10:47 PM.
amemoryoncelost is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:45 PM   #2
telecomm
macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if this is where you're having problems, but here's one thing that you may or may not have tried.

I'm going to assume you're using 10.3 (that's really the only OS I've got handy, but this might also apply to 10.2, if memory serves). In the network preference pane (in system preferences), in the second drop down menu ("show") choose network port configurations. Make sure that internal modem has a check mark beside it (so that's it's turned on). I would guess that if this were not enabled, internal modem might be greyed in the menu, but I might be wrong on this.

Good luck!
telecomm is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:48 PM   #3
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecomm
Make sure that internal modem has a check mark beside it (so that's it's turned on). I would guess that if this were not enabled, internal modem might be greyed in the menu, but I might be wrong on this.
Good luck!

It's not even there. The only one I can pick is the built in ethernet...
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:35 PM   #4
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Get broadband then

This post certified 100% useless by the PPP
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:28 AM   #5
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
Get broadband then
y'know, if it were that easy, I would have got it years ago, but living in the middle of the woods where getting any type of cable access doesn't happen, it makes getting broadband quite the issue. Maybe someday our damn phone company will dig a trench and lay the wire, until then, stuck with dialup...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers