Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:36 AM   #1
srobert
macrumors 68020
 
srobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Question Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and PowerBooks?

I've read somewhere on the web that Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser is great for cleaning the aluminum/titanium/plastic casings of Powerbooks/ibooks. It seems it's also great to clean the white wires. Anybody have tried it? I ordered a free sample but I'm a little affraid to try it out myself.
__________________
A slime draws near!___Command?___> FIGHT___SPELL___RUN___ITEM
srobert is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:53 AM   #2
tigers
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Irmo, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
I've read somewhere on the web that Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser is great for cleaning the aluminum/titanium/plastic casings of Powerbooks/ibooks. It seems it's also great to clean the white wires. Anybody have tried it? I ordered a free sample but I'm a little affraid to try it out myself.
I've never used one on a laptop, but they work wonders in the kitchen.

Just keep in mind that these things are mildly abrasive, so if you have a highly polished finish, the Mr. Clean Eraser is likely to leave swirl marks in the material.
tigers is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:10 AM   #3
webmatthijs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United Kingdom
ipod

in last year apple expo in london they handed out free samples. i tried it on the ipod and its great. i can imagine that if it works on the ipod it will also work on white cables.
__________________
Mattie-Mac-Freak

When will Microsoft make another error again like they in 1998. when they introduced Windows 98. To my liking... it can be tomorrow.

I have: PowerPC G4, and an iPod both brilliant and will never dissapoint me.
webmatthijs is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:18 AM   #4
srobert
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
srobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmatthijs
in last year apple expo in london they handed out free samples. i tried it on the ipod and its great. i can imagine that if it works on the ipod it will also work on white cables.
Did it scratch the chrome finish?

When they handed out the samples at the expo, what use did they have in mind/recommended?

I can't find any info on Mr. Clean's website if it's safe to use their product on cumputer hardware but since they handed out samples at an Apple expo, it might be a good clue that it works fine on Apple's computer casings.
__________________
A slime draws near!___Command?___> FIGHT___SPELL___RUN___ITEM
srobert is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:19 AM   #5
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
Did it scratch the chrome finish?

When they handed out the samples at the expo, what use did they have in mind/recommended?

I can't find any info on Mr. Clean's website if it's safe to use their product on cumputer hardware but since they handed out samples at an Apple expo, it might be a good clue that it works fine on Apple's computer casings.
I don't see how it could scratch - it's softer than a paper towel. At work now, but I could check when I get home.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Vector
macrumors 6502a
 
Vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
I have heard that it works well on iBooks, but i would be weary of using it on the back of an iPod unless someone tells you from experience that it will not scratch it. It probably works fine on the AlPB since it is anodized aluminum, but i wouldn't use it on a tiPB since they are painted and not anodized.
Vector is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:44 AM   #7
Finiksa
macrumors 6502a
 
Finiksa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
I don't see how it could scratch
The surface is designed to trap dirt, so when you wipe it over a surface you're rubbing ingrained dirt across it too

Though I use it on my iBook without any noticeable problems.
__________________
Mac mini - Core i5 2.5GHz (with Crucial M4 SSD)
iPhone 4s 16GB White
New iPad 32GB Wi-Fi White
Finiksa is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:20 PM   #8
emw
macrumors 603
 
emw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finiksa
The surface is designed to trap dirt, so when you wipe it over a surface you're rubbing ingrained dirt across it too

Though I use it on my iBook without any noticeable problems.
I've used it on laminate countertops and it dulled the surface. Don't know how that would translate to a PowerBook, but I'd try it on the bottom first.
emw is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 02:30 PM   #9
tigers
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Irmo, SC
They are mildly abrasive--much like a super fine piece of steel wool or sandpaper. That's why they clean so well. They'll take crayon marks off your wall, but you'll be able to see exactly where you've scrubbed the wall when the light shines on it just right. I know from experience. I find that they work wonders on countertops, stoves, sinks, etc.

Again, I'd say on a highly polished and "soft" surfaces, be careful.
tigers is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 02:39 PM   #10
srobert
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
srobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers
They are mildly abrasive--much like a super fine piece of steel wool or sandpaper.
Hmm... didn't know that. Don't think I'd use steel wool or sand paper to clean my laptop, no matter how super fine it is.
__________________
A slime draws near!___Command?___> FIGHT___SPELL___RUN___ITEM
srobert is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 02:47 PM   #11
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finiksa
The surface is designed to trap dirt, so when you wipe it over a surface you're rubbing ingrained dirt across it too
Well, yes, you'd be well advised to clean any loose surface dirt first - but that would be true no matter what you used to clean with.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 02:52 PM   #12
srobert
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
srobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
Well, yes, you'd be well advised to clean any loose surface dirt first - but that would be true no matter what you used to clean with.
... so... we need to clean it bofore cleaning it?
__________________
A slime draws near!___Command?___> FIGHT___SPELL___RUN___ITEM
srobert is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 07:41 PM   #13
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
... so... we need to clean it before cleaning it?
Yes. But clean it before doing that.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:14 PM   #14
aussie_geek
macrumors 65816
 
aussie_geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sydney Australia
Thumbs down bah - cleaners

I just use a damp magic cloth to clean my Powerbook. It leaves no marks / water smudges. I have used it on my iPod as well with no worries. Just remember that when they say damp, they really mean damp - just enough to moisten the cloth.

aussie_geek
aussie_geek is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Galaxy Note 11 Replacement Stylus with eraser rmecsw Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Feb 17, 2013 09:21 PM
Eraser+ - remove unwanted content from photos katyy iPhone and iPod touch Apps 3 Dec 12, 2012 03:37 PM
buying apple magic tracpad or magic mouse for MBP? tbluhp Mac Peripherals 14 Jul 4, 2012 09:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC