Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
zakfox1986
macrumors member

iPad Camera Accessory

So. I was wondering what the odds of a good camera add on option for the iPod touch would be? Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to design and sell a small snap on camera of some sort (like webcams for notebooks or desktops that snap on the monitor, but a bit smaller and with a better form factor).

Since the iPad auto orients to any rotation, it could snap on into the 30 pin connector and either point toward the user for video conferencing or toward the back of the iPad as a camera. The iPhone SDK is already setup to use external accessories, so as far as UI it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Anyways. Just an idea. I think the same thing could be done for GPS ability. Sure, it's a shame that these aren't integrated, but when it comes to GPS TomTom and other makers are in the market so it shouldn't take much to make this work as a viable option.
zakfox1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:13 PM   #2
lordhamster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakfox1986 View Post
So. I was wondering what the odds of a good camera add on option for the iPod touch would be? Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to design and sell a small snap on camera of some sort (like webcams for notebooks or desktops that snap on the monitor, but a bit smaller and with a better form factor).

Since the iPad auto orients to any rotation, it could snap on into the 30 pin connector and either point toward the user for video conferencing or toward the back of the iPad as a camera. The iPhone SDK is already setup to use external accessories, so as far as UI it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Anyways. Just an idea. I think the same thing could be done for GPS ability. Sure, it's a shame that these aren't integrated, but when it comes to GPS TomTom and other makers are in the market so it shouldn't take much to make this work as a viable option.
I'd be surprised if someone doesn't come out with one.
lordhamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3
AbsurdGenius
macrumors newbie

I'd quite like to see this also.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:38 PM   #4
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Definitely sounds like a future third party option.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:53 PM   #5
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

From what I can tell the USB interface on the iPods and I'm guessing the iPad are all target devices. This means that they don't have a USB controller and thus they wouldn't be able to communicate with one another this way. BUT the iPad may have USB-OnTheGo which can switch from Target to Host then that would open a lot of doors. You might be able to do this via BlueTooth as well; that would be even more slick.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6
zakfox1986
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
From what I can tell the USB interface on the iPods and I'm guessing the iPad are all target devices. This means that they don't have a USB controller and thus they wouldn't be able to communicate with one another this way. BUT the iPad may have USB-OnTheGo which can switch from Target to Host then that would open a lot of doors. You might be able to do this via BlueTooth as well; that would be even more slick.
Actually, unless I'm missing your point, the 30 pin connector is able to handle the Apple SD/digital camera accessory which allows direct transfer of pictures from a camera to the iPad (source: Apple's website). Also, the iPod Touch and iPhone both support external accessories connected through the 30 pin connection such as GPS and docks. Maybe it takes something more special for a camera, but I'd think it'd work basically the same way.

Also, this could explain Apple's inclusion of some video conferencing and camera options in the iPad's UI.

Could a small camera size support decent (iPhone quality and better) camera quality?
zakfox1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:18 PM   #7
liavman
macrumors 6502

Whenever I read about camera accessory, it makes me think how short-sighted the move by Apple it is for not including it as a standard in every iPad.
Now I have to check with the other party if they have the camera with them or they left it somewhere else etc. Even if Apple introduces it in V2, you have to check if the other person has V1 or V2 etc. For the use cases the iPad is targeted for, personal communications being one of them, leaving the camera to third party accessory is so dumb.

It is a new device category and they should start it with the minimum essentials.
liavman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:44 PM   #8
R10
macrumors newbie

The iPhone will sen pics to the iPad. The apps are already in place.
R10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:02 AM   #9
Nebrie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by liavman View Post
Whenever I read about camera accessory, it makes me think how short-sighted the move by Apple it is for not including it as a standard in every iPad.
Now I have to check with the other party if they have the camera with them or they left it somewhere else etc. Even if Apple introduces it in V2, you have to check if the other person has V1 or V2 etc. For the use cases the iPad is targeted for, personal communications being one of them, leaving the camera to third party accessory is so dumb.

It is a new device category and they should start it with the minimum essentials.
Because then everyone will be demanding to know why they can't just upgrade the memory by adding an SD card.
Nebrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:53 AM   #10
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakfox1986 View Post
Also, the iPod Touch and iPhone both support external accessories connected through the 30 pin connection such as GPS and docks. Maybe it takes something more special for a camera, but I'd think it'd work basically the same way.

Also, this could explain Apple's inclusion of some video conferencing and camera options in the iPad's UI.

Could a small camera size support decent (iPhone quality and better) camera quality?
The 30 pin connector has several different interfaces on it. One of which is a bi-directional serial interface. This is most likely how the GPS works. The docks don't do USB, just charging. Those that connect to PC's just use the PC as a host.

BUT I think that the USB will be different in the iPad. USB-OnTheGo is relatively new but the chips are now out there and readily available. I'm guessing this is what they are using in the iPad, it would make more sense. This puts the iPad in a much stronger USB light.

If they are using USBOnTheGo then full video conferencing via USB is very possible. Video via Serial, no way. With previous USB designs (non-OnTheGo) there has to be one dedicated USB host, the rest USB peripherals; this makes embedded systems quote a bit harder because something had to be a host or a peripheral, but now, with USB-otg that isn't the case and makes adhoc systems very cool.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 01:47 AM   #11
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Bluetooth?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:50 AM   #12
lordhamster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Bluetooth?
Oh god please no. Slow and battery sucking.

I'd love to see a low profile (no more than 1cm) cam for the dock connector.
lordhamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:23 AM   #13
ImaVeggie
macrumors regular

Sure I was bummed that there wasn't going to be a camera on the iPad. Now after thinking about it, all I want is for the Camera Connection Kit to become available. My camera goes everywhere with me and is better than an onboard camera would be... 10 MP and 12x optical zoom.

ImaVeggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:20 AM   #14
Rx3
macrumors newbie

Up in store

iPad Camera Connection Kit
$29.00
Ships late april.
Rx3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:36 AM   #15
Stoney79
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx3 View Post
iPad Camera Connection Kit
$29.00
Ships late april.
"After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library."

Do you think we'll be able to choose which album we want to put each photo into or will they all just go into the main photo album?
Stoney79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories