Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
mcoe19
macrumors newbie

iPad physical keyboard and games..?

Hey guys.

I was just wondering if there is any support for developers to include physical keyboard support in their games? Not as the sole input obviously but it might be a nice added option for games like Doom.
mcoe19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2
zemzabob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoe19 View Post
Hey guys.

I was just wondering if there is any support for developers to include physical keyboard support in their games? Not as the sole input obviously but it might be a nice added option for games like Doom.
I don't see why not, for those that don't have another Computer to play on.
zemzabob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3
jimmypopjr
macrumors regular

controller

I'm realllly hoping that maybe a third party will come out with a blue tooth game controller of some sort. Something tells me we won't see that anytime soon... but imagine connecting a PS3 controller and playing NOVA or something? Could be a game-changer in the portable gaming industry. Or not. Just wishing out loud!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:11 AM   #4
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoe19 View Post
Hey guys.

How useful would this kind of thing be?

It would be a bit hard to prop the iPad on your knees then use a wireless control, and if your going to dock it, you might as well use a desk-top.

(unless you envisage plugging the iPad into your T.V, but then it's geting a bit comples and not that mobile.)
wackymacky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:22 AM   #5
greygray
macrumors 68000

The least Apple wants with the iPad is a physical keyboard. You already have to hold the iPad to play with it, given its size and you still want a physical keyboard for games? I see no sense in doing it.
greygray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:26 AM   #6
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
How useful would this kind of thing be?

It would be a bit hard to prop the iPad on your knees then use a wireless control, and if your going to dock it, you might as well use a desk-top.

(unless you envisage plugging the iPad into your T.V, but then it's geting a bit comples and not that mobile.)
But Nova is only for the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and so I'm wondering about this too.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
I believe the keyboard is only meant for typing. Having an offscreen textfield for when the keyboard shows up would be really weird.

Also, it'd be weird having one hand on the keyboard and one hand touching the screen at the same time.

The purpose of a non-physical keyboard and multi-touch is for developers to rethink ways of implementing games. From on screen controls to just general tapping.

The iPad isn't a console device nor was it meant as a gaming device either. I think it was meant for books/magazines/newspapers and internet.
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:41 AM   #8
greygray
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiro13 View Post
I believe the keyboard is only meant for typing. Having an offscreen textfield for when the keyboard shows up would be really weird.
+1. And chunky.

Quote:
The iPad isn't a console device nor was it meant as a gaming device either. I think it was meant for books/magazines/newspapers and internet.
This.
greygray is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories