Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:01 AM   #1
blutfink
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Ghosting/Burn-in issue with new alu displays

Don't know if there is another thread about this issue in the MR forums. Couldn't find any.

My brandnew 23" Alu Cinema Display shows a really annoying effect. If I move a finder window (on a dark desktop background) that hadn't been moved for a while, a "ghost" window stays in place -- for several minutes.

I know of at least three threads on this topic on Apple's discussion boards.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...Rj.1@.689928d1

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...1@.6897b945/15

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we....1@.6897b945/8

Does anybody not have that problem?

[Update: It does not happen with a totally black background! Try a dark (25%) grey. I'm still experimenting.]

Last edited by blutfink; Aug 26, 2004 at 08:33 AM.
blutfink is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:13 AM   #2
stoid
macrumors 68040

From what I've heard the new Apple monitors have little or no ghosting. What you have sounds pretty serious. You may have gotten a lemon. Give Apple a call and they will probably replace it for free.
stoid is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:31 AM   #3
BWhaler
macrumors 68000

A few people have reported this issue on the Apple boards.

Call Apple and get a new one.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 08:16 PM   #4
blutfink
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down It's not just my panel

I hate to say this, but today I was able to reproduce the error on two other 23" HD Cinema Display panels in two different shops. In both cases I reported this issue to the staff and they were quite shocked. So I'm quite confident now that this is a more general issue with the new panels, and I wonder if Apple is aware of the problem. I have yet to try it on a 20".

That is really disappointing. Well, the effect is weak. But at this price point, it's unacceptable.
blutfink is offline   0
Old Aug 28, 2004, 08:55 PM   #5
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutfink
I hate to say this, but today I was able to reproduce the error on two other 23" HD Cinema Display panels in two different shops. In both cases I reported this issue to the staff and they were quite shocked. So I'm quite confident now that this is a more general issue with the new panels, and I wonder if Apple is aware of the problem. I have yet to try it on a 20".

That is really disappointing. Well, the effect is weak. But at this price point, it's unacceptable.
Maybe it's certain people that use it. I mean, if it didn't happen before in those shops, maybe you (and those other peole on Apple's board) are cursed.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0
Old Aug 29, 2004, 05:59 AM   #6
blutfink
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy
Maybe it's certain people that use it. I mean, if it didn't happen before in those shops, maybe you (and those other peole on Apple's board) are cursed.
But are the panels now cursed, too? And does that qualify for Apple Care?

Well... I encourage everyone to try it out themselves. The easiest way (I think) is to open the Terminal app and set the window background color ("Window settings..."->color) to a dark green (RGB: 0%,25%,0%). Then zoom the terminal window to full screen and leave the color chooser window on top for a few minutes. Then drag it away.

[edit: or use this [mac.com] page as a background.]

Last edited by blutfink; Aug 30, 2004 at 12:06 PM.
blutfink is offline   0
Old Aug 29, 2004, 09:34 AM   #7
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Quote:
But are the panels now cursed, too? And does that qualify for Apple Care?
Well, I think that falls under Acts of God. So I dont' think so.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0
Old Aug 29, 2004, 09:54 AM   #8
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

I just tried it on my Powerbook to make sure it wasn't a general LCD problem... but it doesn't appear to be.

Macbook Pro 15"
8GB DDR3 RAM
iPhone 6 Silver
crazzyeddie is offline   0
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:00 PM   #9
recursivejon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to recursivejon
No problems here...

The only problem is that most people who don't have any trouble with the displays are too busy using them to tell people that they're working perfectly.

I tested my 23" HD Display with my dad's 15" 667MHz Ti DVI, I saw now dead pixels, brightness/contrast inconsistencies, ghosting, or even the sparkles issue that people said they saw with 15" powerbooks.

Now I just need to wait for my G5 so i can use the damn thing full time.

Good luck with your problems, guys.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:10 PM   #10
blutfink
macrumors newbie

Black

I just found out that it works even better with black things on green background, even though the "ghost" image is a lighter green.

I changed the demonstration page [mac.com] to exploit this.
blutfink is offline   0
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:24 PM   #11
blutfink
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursivejon
The only problem is that most people who don't have any trouble with the displays are too busy using them to tell people that they're working perfectly.

I tested my 23" HD Display with my dad's 15" 667MHz Ti DVI, I saw now dead pixels, brightness/contrast inconsistencies, ghosting, or even the sparkles issue that people said they saw with 15" powerbooks.
Thanks for checking. This means that either this is a problem with the G5 built-in Radeons in combination with these displays (which is unlikely, since it is a digital connection) or it's just some lemon panels. Every Alu 23" I have seen so far (three of them, at different sites, all in combination with a dual G5, though) had this problem.
blutfink is offline   0
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:34 PM   #12
recursivejon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to recursivejon
Quote:
Thanks for checking. This means that either this is a problem with the G5 built-in Radeons in combination with these displays (which is unlikely, since it is a digital connection) or it's just some lemon panels. Every Alu 23" I have seen so far (three of them, at different sites, all in combination with a dual G5, though) had this problem.
Yeah, my bet is with the GPU's and if thats so, it should only take a driver update to fix.

Does it happen with both the 9600XT's and 9800XT's?
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:31 PM   #13
blutfink
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by recursivejon
Does it happen with both the 9600XT's and 9800XT's?
I can confirm that it happens with my 9600XT. I'm not sure about the other ones in the stores, but I'd say those were stock systems (9600).
blutfink is offline   0
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:55 PM   #14
gernb
macrumors regular

I don't think it's the card or the tower...I'm having the same problem with my 12" pbook RevC and a new 23" Cinema HD
gernb is offline   0
Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:31 PM   #15
gismap
macrumors newbie

My 23hd has been on since April 2002 and it's worked perfectly in every way (and no dead pixles). Yes, I too notice that when the background is set to "dark grey" I'll get a ghosted edge of a window that I just moved. Defect? I think not, since changing the desktop to black or any other color avoids this. Also websites with bg color #666666 has the same issue.
gismap is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers