Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases Software Update Addressing Audio-Related Mac Pro Heat and Performance

Apple today released Mac Pro Audio Update 1.0, addressing heat and performance issues experienced by users of Apple's Nehalem-based Mac Pros when processing audio.
This update is for Mac Pro (Early 2009) computers running Mac OS X v10.6.2. This update reduces processor utilization during audio activities, such as playing or recording music.
Full details on the update, which weighs in at 1.64 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.2, are included in the associated support document.

The issues, first reported in our forums last October, have manifested themselves in the form of excessive power usage and processor core heat load when performing audio-related tasks as simple as playing music through iTunes. While today's update addresses only Mac OS X Snow Leopard-based machines, users have also reported difficulties while running under Mac OS X Leopard. No issues have been observed by users running Windows under Boot Camp or on older, pre-Nehalem Mac Pros.

Article Link: Apple Releases Software Update Addressing Audio-Related Mac Pro Audio Heat and Performance Issues

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
At least it only took 4 months instead of 5 for them to sort it out eh? :rolleyes:

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I have it installed now playing iTunes temps are not moving up and power usage is much much lower.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-11 at 3.42.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-11 at 3.42.56 PM.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 728

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
omgosh i love you so much apple for making fixing $3-5k quad/octo core computers so they are able to play music without excessive heat and fan use!!! <3 your the best i just wish i could marry steve jobs 4eva.

Sorry, wanted to feel like a few regulars on here. :p

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
running at 44C and I have done itunes, vlc for 30 mins now. Maybe this is it. Computer seems snappier. CPU cycles VERY low. Just this morning it was at 55C, so something is better here.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Sorry, I meant 10.6.2. I'm with 10.6.1 due to the RAID issues.
Kind of a dilemma right now, but I will go for it. Wish me luck. ;)

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
if anyone that needs to stay on old OS like Leopard
here are the drivers included in the update
you can try to install them with kexthelper and see if it helps (or ****s up system) on 10.5.8 or 10.6.1 or whatever

http://krull.se/audiofix.zip

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Wow, less than 2 megs for the update? It took how long to determine that something smaller than 2 megs could fix it?

HighSeasCaptain

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
I heard from a friend that works at an Apple store (I know, not the most reliable of sources) that Apple was holding off releasing the 6-core Mac Pro's until this issue had been addressed (he was also under the impression that the fix was going to come out a lot later than today -- possibly months). If this is the case, I'm willing to bet that it's due to the upcoming hexacore release.

BlindGoldfish

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Where are all those people saying they are glad they purchased an older Mac Pro? HA! Foot in mouth for you.

(I do not own a Mac Pro, but I felt bad for all those with early 2009 and later Pro's when all those people with slower computers could play songs without trouble. NOW WHAT OH OH OH ZING ZANG ZABAHM!)

Peabody

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Portland, OR
Yes Mr. Boss - I'm leaving right now to go install this update at home.

Why? I can't afford the household power bill at the rate my Mac Pro was eating up electricity!

Yes, I'll take unpaid leave...sheesh.

*Bolts out the door*

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.