Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeocon

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2006
Picked up my Mac Pro today. Took a gamble hoping this issue would get fixed.

Must be my lucky day! Really awesome to know there will be a lot of minds at ease.

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
Fixed FCP too

fwiw -- I've been trying to figure out why Final Cut Pro was dying upon launch recently. I re-installed the latest update to FC Studio and that made no difference at all, repaired disk permissions - no difference. I intentionally tried it again right before applying the update, and it was still consistently dying every time I tried to launch.

Suddenly, it's all better - and my FCP is closer to stable. (still not sure they fully debugged this latest release very well -- the 'Send to Compressor' is hit/miss)

Anyway, maybe it wasn't the update that fixed FCP, but --- it's fixed so I'm double happy (and my creative partner will now be happy with me).

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
This update replaces AppleHDA.kext and IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext (like I said in another thread: this was a Power Mangement bug waiting to be fixed).

tonydickinson

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Singapore.
if anyone that needs to stay on old OS like Leopard
here are the drivers included in the update
you can try to install them with kexthelper and see if it helps (or ****s up system) on 10.5.8 or 10.6.1 or whatever

http://krull.se/audiofix.zip

Cindori - thanks to you as well for your interest and work in this topic, I have loaded your fix on my MSI GD80 i7 860 clone, which did not manifest the audio issue. But it loads fine using Kext Utility.app.

Strange - I only built the hack as I was so disappointed with my MacPro 2Xquad Nahalen 2.26, it ran so hot and used so much power. The i7 had to be better, but I am pleased Apple has fixed the problem "without acknowleding it". Cheers mate...

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Hopefully this will solve a problem I've been having where audio played from iTunes has noise in it (on the computer side) when also streaming to Airport Express.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Huzzah! I don't have to crank up smcFanControl every time I listen to iTunes!

Holding around 33-34C playing audio... before the update my cpu would jump up to 45-50C just playing music.

Edit: Seemed to help flash playback as well! Just watched a few clips off of Hulu and my temps still hovered between 34-35C, before the update it would skyrocket towards 50-55C.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Hopefully this will solve a problem I've been having where audio played from iTunes has noise in it (on the computer side) when also streaming to Airport Express.

Unfortunately the noise issue I described is not fixed by this update. Temps are running cooler though, instead of CPU A Temp being around 70 degrees Celsius it's running a little above 50. Still seems high though.

The noise issue might be related to my Apogee Ensemble, but I don't see why it would be affected by Airport Express streaming (though the noise can still be present but lessened when not streaming). Anyway, this may have no relevance to most people in this thread but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
it%2Bjust%2Bworks.jpg

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
Wow, less than 2 megs for the update? It took how long to determine that something smaller than 2 megs could fix it?

Consuer consumer consumer. Remember when one to one were tied to
one to one and pro care? Now all the trainers know is how to set up email, iPhoto and get them to buy MobileMe if they dint own it. Where are the Logic, FCP SUITE, Shake trainers????

Uggg

yiswitched

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
Los Angeles
huh? who has the problem aswell? the '09MPs? :confused:

Myself and 2 other 27" i7 imac users that I know of so far are having audio heat and fan issues related to audio. itunes, Logic, Flash, really close to the Mac pro's issue from what I can see. Go back and read the thread the original thread on the apple site, there's a few of us that's posted in there. I have a case open with Apple and have spoken with them I believe one of the others does as well. If it is indeed the same issue I'm hoping it wont take long. I'm due to speak to them again next week, I'm going to mention the fix from today. Pray for us that are not healed by the apple gods as of yet for grace :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Myself and 2 other 27" i7 imac users that I know of so far are having audio heat and fan issues related to audio. itunes, Logic, Flash, really close to the Mac pro's issue from what I can see. Go back and read the thread the original thread on the apple site, there's a few of us that's posted in there. I have a case open with Apple and have spoken with them I believe one of the others does as well. If it is indeed the same issue I'm hoping it wont take long. I'm due to speak to them again next week, I'm going to mention the fix from today. Pray us that are not healed by the apple god as of yet for grace :)

well i have no idea whats wrong with your machines. but my i7 iMac doesnt have that issue.

so do you have performance decreases? power usage increases? are you certain lol?

your case seems to be isolated to particular issues/models, as i do not have the problem (just double checked then).

yiswitched

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
Los Angeles
well i have no idea whats wrong with your machines. but my i7 iMac doesnt have that issue.

so do you have performance decreases? power usage increases? are you certain lol?

your case seems to be isolated to particular issues/models, as i do not have the problem (just double checked then).

No I'm not sure, but sooner or later I will be. What would you think if you had our issues and were running a 4 core nehalem processor? I'm not the only one.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No I'm not sure, but sooner or later I will be. What would you think if you had our issues and were running a 4 core nehalem processor? I'm not the only one.

well of course i would be furious! i have been following the 09 MP audio thread VERY thoroughly trust me.

the issue with the 09 MPs was that EVERY machine was effected, with the imacs it seems to be effected select machines - if any at all. at this point i must say that i cant really say you're right, can you point me to some evidence? the problem might be something else in this particular instance.

with the MPs the error was put down to the QPI, and as our iMacs dont use that (they use DMI) - so im quite uncertain what the problem is.

yiswitched

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
Los Angeles
well of course i would be furious! i have been following the 09 MP audio thread VERY thoroughly trust me.

the issue with the 09 MPs was that EVERY machine was effected, with the imacs it seems to be effected select machines - if any at all. at this point i must say that i cant really say you're right, can you point me to some evidence? the problem might be something else in this particular instance.

with the MPs the error was put down to the QPI, and as our iMacs dont use that (they use DMI) - so im quite uncertain what the problem is.

It's not that I'm furious, I'm not furious. I would say disappointed is more the word I would use to describe how I'm feeling. Someone said a while back "Does apple test their hardware anymore?" That's kind of appropriate In my mind. But, the 2 and 3 battery wireless keyboards and the mac pros have been fixed all in the last two weeks so I'm optimistic about the imac's.

Since it's 1:30 am here let me give the quick version of what I know, bare with me m8 I'm exhausted. If I sound like yoda today I will try and clear myself up tomorrow so I make sense. What's happened so far and I'm only speaking for myself is this -

My processor gets very hot when I use anyone of the following:

Flash
Logic Studio
Garage Band
Itunes
VLC media player

I've had temperatures up to 71C.

For instance, When I have a cpu heat sink temperature (determined by Hardware monitor and or istat pro) of 50C using anything but the aforementioned software (all audio) my fans run at around 600 to 700 rpm. I can stress the machine with photoshp (multiple filters rendering on hundreds of pictures at the same time) to heat the processor up for testing, it uses cpu resources that's about it.

When I use the aforementioned software and still at 50C (which doesn't take long or last long) my fans will be @ 1800+ rpm and my cpu is at 1% usage. I'm not sure how hot the cores need to get to shut of Hyperthreading, that's what I was looking into tonight when I got sidetracked in macrumors land. I do not know conclusively if I'm being affected in the deeply in the cpu department. Under the hood it feels like it especially when running a long recording take.

That's what I feel know that's accurate for now. Apple is interested in hearing from me, they've been helpful but of course haven't said it was a known issue yet. I was at pro software as well as Level II support within 10 minutes of my first call. No ones even tried to blow me off, they truly seem interested. I'm hoping that's because they're in the know but can't say anything.

Hey thanks for trying to help me us DoFoT9, I really appreciate it. What do you think and where do you think I should proceed from here?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
It's not that I'm furious, I'm not furious. I would say disappointed is more the word I would use to describe how I'm feeling. Someone said a while back "Does apple test their hardware anymore?" That's kind of appropriate In my mind. But, the 2 and 3 battery wireless keyboards and the mac pros have been fixed all in the last two weeks so I'm optimistic about the imac's.
well fair enough then! that really would put enough doubt into your mind. i personally havent had ANY problems with any of my macs when they were new (sure with older ones problems do arise) - ive been using them for 20 years and my dad a good 5 years before that.

Since it's 1:30 am here let me give the quick version of what I know, bare with me m8 I'm exhausted. If I sound like yoda today I will try and clear myself up tomorrow so I make sense. What's happened so far and I'm only speaking for myself is this -
all good man i know exactly how you feel. its 1030pm here and i feel so tired! i donno why.. hope u have a good sleep :)

My processor gets very hot when I use anyone of the following:

Flash
Logic Studio
Garage Band
Itunes
VLC media player
could you possibly be more specific when you have the time?

playback/recording of logic studio/garage band would of course increase the temperatures, they can be quite intense applications at times.

flash is a no brainer.

itunes, well.. there could be a problem there, as with VLC, depends on what you play.

I've had temperatures up to 71C.
now this number is somewhat troubling, not too much though. as stated below my temps dont really go above 65°C. i wonder if you have a bad thermal paste job?

For instance, When I have a cpu heat sink temperature (determined by Hardware monitor and or istat pro) of 50C using anything but the aforementioned software (all audio) my fans run at around 600 to 700 rpm. I can stress the machine with photoshp (multiple filters rendering on hundreds of pictures at the same time) to heat the processor up for testing, it uses cpu resources that's about it.
my CPU according to iStat reads 50°C right now. it is idling. my ambient temperature is 26°C*, it is quite humid (75%).
optical fans: 999rpm
hdd fan: 1872rpm
CPU ran: 939rpm

stressing the machine by converting a 1080 mkv movie will result in the fans ramping up to around 2000/2500rpm for CPU and optical drive. the temperature does not raise above 65°C once the fans speed up.

When I use the aforementioned software and still at 50C (which doesn't take long or last long) my fans will be @ 1800+ rpm and my cpu is at 1% usage. I'm not sure how hot the cores need to get to shut of Hyperthreading, that's what I was looking into tonight when I got sidetracked in macrumors land. I do not know conclusively if I'm being affected in the deeply in the cpu department. Under the hood it feels like it especially when running a long recording take.
recording can be quite taxing, and i honestly do not blame the CPU/fans for ramping up in that scenario.

fwiw, i have been playing an .aiff audio file for the last 10minutes, my CPU temperature has gone down and my fans give identical readings to what they did before.

just to clarify:
- the MP audio problem had to do with the CoreAudio side of things, playing quicktime, itunes, VLC, flash, or ANYTHING that produces audio (FW sound cards, and even FW external HDDs when moving large amounts to data across drives) will cause the increase in temperatures.
- the fans on the MP do not increase at all. the users had to manually increase them.
- there were significant increases in power usage from the CPU. e.g. 5w (IIRC) up to ~80w just for the CPU. the total power supply went from 10's of w to 100's of w! (currently i am using 4.8w on CPUA, readout from iStat menus).

it would be great if you could record before/after scenarios for the above dot points i just mentioned, to give a better indication :)

That's what I feel know that's accurate for now. Apple is interested in hearing from me, they've been helpful but of course haven't said it was a known issue yet. I was at pro software as well as Level II support within 10 minutes of my first call. No ones even tried to blow me off, they truly seem interested. I'm hoping that's because they're in the know but can't say anything.
well i surely hope that you can get to the bottom of the problem! its highly disturbing to know that this problem may also be related to our precious iMacs!

Hey thanks for trying to help me us DoFoT9, I really appreciate it. What do you think and where do you think I should proceed from here?
no worries there mate, i enjoy troubleshooting and getting to the bottom of problems :D no rush on the reply ill be around.

from here i think that you should maintain communications with apple, and try to get to the bottom of it. have a professional apple rep (not some crappy guy that says everythings normal, have them take in-depth diagnostics of the changes observed) take a look at it and publish the reviews here if needed.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Does this problem afflict recent Macbook Pros?

So does this problem not apply to the Macbook Pro if it was a recent purchase? My updater said there was no update. My system profiler identifies my machine as 5,5 MacbookPro.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
So does this problem not apply to the Macbook Pro if it was a recent purchase? My updater said there was no update. My system profiler identifies my machine as 5,5 MacbookPro.

NO.

This is MAC PRO *not* MACBOOK PRO.

I do wonder how people can confuse the two machines? :confused:

tonydickinson

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Singapore.
MacPro 2009 Nahalen

I must just emphasize again the fix is fantastic, after 36 hours crunching Aperture 3, and playing iTunes the Bresink are both at 46 degrees, and it is running like a different machine.

Thank you again, this is how it should have been...

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
USA
All Macs affected?

I have a MacBook Pro, and Activity Monitor shows process coreaudiod pegged at 6.9%, and I'm completely idle! The next-most-active process, Activity Monitor itself, is ~2%. And, of course, my system isn't emitting any audio. What's up with coreaudio!?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

randyhudson said:
I have a MacBook Pro, and Activity Monitor shows process coreaudiod pegged at 6.9%, and I'm completely idle! The next-most-active process, Activity Monitor itself, is ~2%. And, of course, my system isn't emitting any audio. What's up with coreaudio!?

reboot and repair disk permissions. Nothing wrong with coreaudio for MBPs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.