Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainJeff

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Elkridge, Maryland; USA
Intuit finally announced 22 February as the release date for Quicken Essentials for Mac 2010. I preordered (to save the $10) and the dialog that used to say "You can download this product in February" now says on the 22nd. So, that's good if you are waiting for this product.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yawn

Intuit has lost all credibility with Quicken for Mac

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
Quicken may or may not be ready on Feb.22, but it will be at least 6 months before I'd even contemplate purchasing it. I'll wait and see if it isn't the usual buggy, no help from Intuit, program like all the others.:rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Bleh. For whatever reason Quicken thinks Mac users are unsophisticated dolts so we need a watered down "essentials" version, not the complete version Win users have the option of buying.

I used to be a huge Quicken fanatic -- even with their lazy coding of recent years Mac versions. In the intervening years since they left the Mac market I found alternative (better) ways to track financing via d/l raw data from my bank/broker/cc sites and plugging into Numbers.

If Quicken had developed a version equal to what Win users get I may have reconsiders. Essentials is just dreck though.

DFTU101

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
I agree with all the previous posts. If you go to the Intuit website, even reading through want Quicken Essentials does is disappointing (can't pay bills through Quicken, only limited investment tracking ability, etc.) Quicken for PC is such a better & thorough financial program vs all Mac versions.

Scottyfrombi

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
I really want to like Quicken Essentials for Mac

It sounds like they are sort of trying by re-writing all their code from the ground up, (they say). In reality, though it has been three years in the making missing I think three announced release dates. And it is not like they have to re-invent the product, they have been upgrading it for years now. In fact, and this I will never understand, it does not even offer the same functions of Quicken for Mac 2007. Why only one version of the Mac release. Why no home and office etc.?

It doesn't even communicate with it's own products like Mint.com or Turbo Tax. How hard can that be considering the PC versions have been doing it for years. And this may be the most telling of all. Intuit offers Norton Willmaker for PC users for free with the purchase of any PC version, but not with Mac. I think this is clearly an indication that Quicken does not take the Mac community seriously.

Then to add insult to injury, they want to charge as much or more than the most basic PC version.

Draw your own conclusion. As I said, I really want to like the new Quicken for Mac, but boy they sure are making it hard to support Intuit at this point.

I think the thing to do is for as many as possible to write to Intuit and verbalize their objections or requests. At least they would know we are there and perhaps will realize there is a market share.

suewoodley

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
Quicken Esentials Bill Paying

Am I reading these posts correctly? Does Quicken Essentials 2010 not allow on line bill paying?
Sue

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I have been running Microsoft Money on a Windows virtual machine. With the discontinuation of that product I will be going to Quicken for Windows. I used to use Quicken for Windows but found it buggy. Hopefully it is better these days. I could never find a Mac finance program that was as easy to use as Money/Quicken or had the investment tracking and account management capability of them either. Grumble.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I'm glad Quicken Financial Life (or whatever it's called now) wasn't released on time. Had it been released as scheduled, I would've never tried iBank. Now I'm an avid iBank fan and doubt I'll switch back to Quicken.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm glad Quicken Financial Life (or whatever it's called now) wasn't released on time. Had it been released as scheduled, I would've never tried iBank. Now I'm an avid iBank fan and doubt I'll switch back to Quicken.

I'm still using Quicken 2005, which says a lot for how awesome 2007 looked and how enthused I was with the Quicken Financial Life beta. Eh.

I'm downloading iBank 3 to take a trial run. As I look at it all empty, I'm mainly worried about keeping the oodles of transactions I used in Quicken. I found the help file for exporting data, but I can't really try it out without buying a $60 license since I have hundreds or thousands of transactions.

So basically, is it THAT good? My main bank is a credit union, and you can download data to sync with applications. You can do it in Money OFX, Quicken WebConnect, and QIF formats. I just download the WebConnect file and import it into Quicken. I manually enter other stuff like my mortgage and Best Buy credit card since I use them so rarely and, in the case of my mortgage, it's the same thing every month.

So would I have much of a problem with iBank? It's hard to throw down $60 on something I don't know much about, but Essentials for Mac looks like crap. I mean you can't track stocks? It took 'em three years to write that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.