Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Jobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
So apple has their 13 macbook pro priced at about 200 dollars more than the plastic macbook, so i think that for durability and aesthetics shouldn't the macbook be made out of aluminum?

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
well then what would make it different then the low line mbp? keep it plastic, drop the price i say.

Mr. Jobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
i think they ought to have the 13 mbp upgraded and ONLY change the polycarbonate to aluminum, which isnt unreasonable

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
They should first have FireWire again.

If they also make it aluminium, it will just be an MBP.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
The 13" mbp is an aluminum macbook. The "pro" on the end just signifies the aluminum body and backlit keys.

Mr. Jobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
i agree with the distinction of the pro, but the aluminum macbook was a great product, and i think that they ought to continue that, but adding more features to the 13" pro to make the distinction

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
i agree with the distinction of the pro, but the aluminum macbook was a great product, and i think that they ought to continue that, but adding more features to the 13" pro to make the distinction

No. It was not great. It lacked FireWire.

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The current plastic one is not great either because it lacks Firewire. And an SD card slot. And it could use another USB port, seriously students would plug in multiple USB drives and perhaps a wired mosue and then realise their friend's netbook has more connectivity than even the MBP!

Mr. Jobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
i agree with adding Firewire and another usb port. I think that since apple is at such a high price point, they ought to add those features, as well as aluminum to better compete with the envy 13 at a price 400 dollars lower, like what pc makers to do apple all the time

Cinnabar

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I don't understand all this harping on about Firewire (or the lack of it). What do people use it for anyway? Surely everything it does will be replicated (or replaced) by a new technlogy, potentially something in the update to MacBook Pro line this year? Won't USB 3.0 make it redundant anyway....

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I don't understand all this harping on about Firewire (or the lack of it). What do people use it for anyway? Surely everything it does will be replicated (or replaced) by a new technlogy, potentially something in the update to MacBook Pro line this year? Won't USB 3.0 make it redundant anyway....

People use it for low latency audio and for better sustained data transfer speeds to external storage etc. (As well as video camera connectivity).

There's a reason Apple added it back in after the initial unibody Macbook gaff.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
People use it for low latency audio and for better sustained data transfer speeds to external storage etc. (As well as video camera connectivity).

There's a reason Apple added it back in after the initial unibody Macbook gaff.

Yeah, but how many AVERAGE consumers have these uses for it? Next to nil would be my guess... I'm not an average computer user by any means, and the only thing I've ever used my FW ports for is my DV camcorder - I don't even have a FW hard drive (I came from PCs, :)), so I'd imagine most non-geeks will never use the FW port.

But I still think it should be there... just playin' devil's advocate...

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
...no they didn't. The aluminum unibody Macbook didn't have firewire and the current plastic unibody macbook doesn't have firewire.

It didn't happen in that order. The unibody MB became the unibody MBP 13" (the machines are very similar).

The, then white plastic, Macbook (still with firewire) was later dropped for the white UB MB.

Seo

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Cupertino, California
I think the Firewire connectivity in the MBP line is another part of what makes them "Pro". Professional videographers ought to have at least one important part of their workflow (may it be tape deck, camera, HDD, etc.) that uses Firewire (although I believe this is changing). The average consumer doesn't require any of this since USB has taken its place.

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
So apple has their 13 macbook pro priced at about 200 dollars more than the plastic macbook, so i think that for durability and aesthetics shouldn't the macbook be made out of aluminum?

I have not found aluminum-cased machines to be more durable than plastic ones.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
The aluminum casing is pretty expensive and a lot of people like the white design.
My GF insisted on getting the white Macbook even though the aluminum unibody was a much better deal at the time she bought.

What they should do is bring back a black plastic macbook. It's beautiful.

Mr. Jobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
I think that the black macbook was incredible. Another thing i would like is a matte-black aluminum mbp

Skippy440

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
I like the look of the white Macbook.:D It's one of the things (amongst many other great Mac features) that attracted me to switch from my old Dell PC.

As far as being scratch proof, no computer is scratch proof and for $50 you can get a Speck or Incase cover to protect it as I did.
The point about lack of FW, if you need it, then you can always get the MBP.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.