Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:29 PM   #1
ssajous
macrumors member

Exclamation Unlocked 3GS will not work with FR SFR SIM

First let me start by saying that I do know what I am doing I have a 3G which I have unlocked and take regularly with me to France when I come here for work and I just swap the ATT SIM with the SFR SIM and everything works.

This time around I took a 3GS, that is from FR Orange that I have JB and unlocked and works with the ATT SIM in the US no problem. Except that when I got here in France this time around (without my 3 G ) I popped the SIM in and I get what you guys see in the screen shot, the network is found but the bars are horizontal so I get no reception at all. The SIM still works if I try it in another phone. I don't know if ATT still works on the phone since their signal is so spotty here and I just get no service with that SIM here -- I really don't see why it would have stopped working either.

I have read every thread on what I think are similar issues but nothing works. I cannot redo the j/b unlock from here since the computer that I use to sync with is back home and I would be without all my music for the rest of the journey and my trip back home. Please let me know if someone has ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone_sfr.png
Views:	24
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	215937  
ssajous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:53 AM   #2
ssajous
macrumors member

Wow, no one has advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssajous View Post
First let me start by saying that I do know what I am doing I have a 3G which I have unlocked and take regularly with me to France when I come here for work and I just swap the ATT SIM with the SFR SIM and everything works.

This time around I took a 3GS, that is from FR Orange that I have JB and unlocked and works with the ATT SIM in the US no problem. Except that when I got here in France this time around (without my 3 G ) I popped the SIM in and I get what you guys see in the screen shot, the network is found but the bars are horizontal so I get no reception at all. The SIM still works if I try it in another phone. I don't know if ATT still works on the phone since their signal is so spotty here and I just get no service with that SIM here -- I really don't see why it would have stopped working either.

I have read every thread on what I think are similar issues but nothing works. I cannot redo the j/b unlock from here since the computer that I use to sync with is back home and I would be without all my music for the rest of the journey and my trip back home. Please let me know if someone has ideas.
ssajous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:35 PM   #3
musigny
macrumors newbie

hey there OP -- any update on this? looking to do the exact same thing in France with a ATT 3GS.

thanks.
musigny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:46 AM   #4
musigny
macrumors newbie

similar thread... any updates?

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/euro...er-phones.html
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:27 PM   #5
mreddys10
macrumors regular

Did you try a 'reset network settings'?
mreddys10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

My guess is that this is a network-barred phone in France, ie reported stolen by the original owner and resold.

AT&T does not do this for whatever reason, hence why it works there.
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:10 AM   #7
musigny
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moi un Mouton View Post
My guess is that this is a network-barred phone in France, ie reported stolen by the original owner and resold.

AT&T does not do this for whatever reason, hence why it works there.
so it's unique to his phone or some other thing? trying to figure this out as i'm headed there soon and want to do the same thing w/ my 3GS.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks