Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:43 PM   #1
ndebard
macrumors newbie

How to drag a window without using title bar

Hi, I'm brand new to OS-X and coming from a Linux world of about 10 years. I'm trying to get myself used to this new window manager and one feature I particularly am missing is a way to drag windows without clicking on the window's title bar - I'm lazy. Under Linux, most window managers let you do this with ALT-Left click and then you could drag it.

I'm sure there's a similar feature here but I can't figure it out. It's probably already been answered in the forums but with search words like 'drag' and 'window' there's a lot of flotsam to search through. Any help?

Thanks!
ndebard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 01:42 PM   #2
ndebard
macrumors newbie

Just to followup, for whatever reason I now have a window who's title bar is above the top of the screen - this is something I often did under Linux WManagers in an attempt to move things out of my way. Sure there are better ways to do this but now I need to move this window by clicking somewhere else but on the title bar.

Some guru must know how to do this.
ndebard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 01:46 PM   #3
vraxtus
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to vraxtus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndebard
Just to followup, for whatever reason I now have a window who's title bar is above the top of the screen - this is something I often did under Linux WManagers in an attempt to move things out of my way. Sure there are better ways to do this but now I need to move this window by clicking somewhere else but on the title bar.

Some guru must know how to do this.

If the window is bordered you can drag from the window sides.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:53 PM   #4
logicat2001
macrumors regular

Hi ndebard and welcome to *nix Apple-style.

As mentioned above, if the window is bordered you'll be able to grab and drag using the visible edge. However, you'll have to come to terms with the window manager in OS X, which is not going to supply the same style of power-user capabilities as you might be used to in Linux.

The bottom line is that there's no alternate way that I know of to drag a window. However, if your problem is that you've moved a window above the menu bar, first thing is: don't do that. It can be very frustrating and I've "lost" some windows that way in Adobe GoLive (another very frustrating thing, IMHO) and finally resorted to trashing the pref's for that app in order to reset to the default window configuration.

In order to get your window back, click once in the window to select it, then go to Window > Zoom in the menu bar (assuming the application you're using offers this menu). Most apps do.

The Zoom command should reset your window into the visible desktop space, granting you access to the title bar once again.

Enjoy getting to know OS X. There are actually many power-user tips and tricks that you'll learn over time that make OS X kick-*ss, even when considering the window-manager-lite style of it's interface.

My number one suggestion for increasing productivity in OS X, especially for anybody used to *nix or who can type is Launch Bar by Objective Development.

At $20 for a home user license, it's the absolutely most fantastic utility/productivity/efficiency app I've ever used in all my fifteen years on the Mac. If you try it out, make sure to learn how to configure it to set which directories it should index, as well as an appropriate key command for your work style. I can't recommend it highly enough and couldn't imagine working without it.

Best,
Logicat
logicat2001 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:00 PM   #5
alexworden
macrumors newbie

4 years later...

I'm new to mac's and also have this problem now.

Is there a fix for this issue yet? My Eclipse editor window is jutting off screen - no title bar in sight. No 'Zoom' option. I tried killing the application and restarting - it's still off screen! Where are the options for the window position stored - I guess I have to edit the mac equivalent of the registry...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
alexworden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:09 PM   #6
kuwisdelu
macrumors 65816

There is no Mac equivalent of the registry. If you have Leopard, you can go into the Spaces view (F8) and that should allow you to move an application window from anywhere in the window.
kuwisdelu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:51 AM   #7
jerryjerry
macrumors newbie

it seems that this problem is not solved for 4 years

This could be a solution is applicable:
connect your mac to a second monitor, then go to the system preference for Display, go to arrangement, drag the menu bar to another monitor (the one the window does not stay)
jerryjerry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:10 AM   #8
spsmyth
macrumors newbie

Several More Months Pass...

This is simple now in Leopard. Activate spaces with F8, go to the space with the offending window, the window's title bar will show allowing you to drag it into position, let go F8 and zoom the window to full screen. Usually works Some Mac software from Google (Picasa comes to mind) does not have a Window menu, and hence no Zoom command. Go figger.
spsmyth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:44 AM   #9
joedaven
macrumors newbie

If you get the application HyperDock, then you can set it up not to do what it is meant to do, but also to drag and change the size of windows while pressing a (series of) button(s). i do ctrl-option, and the window drags, and ctrl-option-shift, and i can change its size.

I realize I'm about 5 and a half years after the original post, but I hope it's helpful, nonetheless!
joedaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:45 AM   #10
mazac85
macrumors newbie

I think this is what you wanted... if that works (haven't tested as I'm just about to get a mac )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRFZHVEmtzE
http://files8.blogspot.com/2011/08/afloat.html
mazac85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:37 AM   #11
crapthings
macrumors newbie

use BetterTouchTool, very handy
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazac85 View Post
I think this is what you wanted... if that works
If you're responding to the post above yours, that "you" posted 11 months ago.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:33 PM   #13
aksoprano
macrumors newbie

Better touch tool app. It worked for me when I tried the script editor and it didn't work, there is no zoom option for this application, and my laptop wouldn't let me change the display settings. Great app, and you can set a touchpad option to center a window. Easy peasy and worked like a charm! Oh, and it's free!
aksoprano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Gregg2
macrumors 601

8-year old thread...

still going!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:49 AM   #15
paulici12
macrumors newbie

resolution

change the screen resolution
move window to different location
change back resolution
done!
paulici12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:47 PM   #16
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

lmao at this thread
isephmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:03 PM   #17
James Craner
macrumors 68000

I know this is an old Thread - but also take a look at Moom, a great App to tame those OS X windows.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 09:30 AM   #18
rjg125
macrumors newbie

Go to your Library, Preferences, Adobe and find the Adobe Extension Manager folder. Trash it and empty the trash, open your app again and the window will appear in the correct place.
rjg125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:55 AM   #19
JohnSilver
macrumors newbie

Just hold SHIFT when resizing a window by a left or right border

Last edited by JohnSilver; Apr 14, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
JohnSilver is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:04 PM   #20
m00ky
macrumors newbie

Perfect JohnSilver... Free, effective. My Pandora Adobe Air window decided to wander upwards of the menu bar and has been piquing me for days. Free is way better than tools to download and trialware etc.
m00ky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 03:00 PM   #21
johninlongmont
macrumors newbie

so the answer is there is no answer?

you can't drag a window without clicking on the title bar?...forget about re-sizing, buying software (or downloading free crap), or resetting your software or machine - THOSE ARE NOT ANSWERING THE QUESTION!!!
johninlongmont is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 03:52 PM   #22
mrichmon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndebard View Post
You can use the Window Zoom function to reposition and resize the window to the screen.
  1. Make the application the focus by using Command-Tab.
  2. Either use the application Window->Zoom menu, or hit the Window Zoom hotkey.

In older versions of OS X the Window Zoom function had a default keyboard shortcut. In Mountain Lion you need to set up the shortcut yourself. To setup the shortcut, open System Preferences->Keyboard:
  1. Click on "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab.
  2. Select "Application Shortcuts"
  3. Under "All Applications" create a hotkey for the menu item "Zoom".
mrichmon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninlongmont View Post
you can't drag a window without clicking on the title bar?...
It depends on which version of the Mac OS one has. For me, using Leopard, the answer is yes, I can't. (or no, I can't - if you prefer)
Old Jul 2, 2014, 04:47 PM   #24
subtex
macrumors newbie

Resurrecting this old thread only because I found it via my own google search for this.

If you have a trackpad, you can enable 3 finger drag in the system prefs.

Doesn't help you if you not using a trackpad, but it's still nice to know there's at least 1 built in way of doing this.
subtex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:31 PM   #25
Roman2K~
macrumors 6502a

Sorry for bumping this thread once again but it's the first relavant search result in Google, so for educational purposes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapthings View Post
use BetterTouchTool, very handy
That's the answer for me. Thanks! No need to create a gesture, the drag-anywhere functionality is handled specially and configurable in the settings panel:

This little trick helped my laziness reach a new high, I love it .

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store