Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Dtorre
macrumors newbie

Logic multi track recording

I want to record individual drum tracks... I.E. track 1-Snare 2- kick etc...

so i know i need to purchase a multi track recorder to accomplish this, but the question is WHICH ONE!? haha, i heard that if i get the Korg D3200 i can use the usb connection to drag and drop the files on to my computer and i figure i'll do my mixing on Logic... (is my reasoning correct?) also is there a cheaper option?

i figure i need at least 6 XLR inputs to record a minimal drum set...

i hope i'm not sounding like a noob... I just really want to avoid having the whole drum set one one track.

thanks!!!
Dtorre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 03:23 AM   #2
seisend
macrumors 6502

Hi ,

first of all, how large is your budget (what price range) ?
seisend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:13 AM   #3
zimv20
macrumors 601

Logic is also a recorder, you don't need a dedicated hardware recorder. what you do need is a multi-channel analog/digital converter; there are plenty of 8-channel firewire ones. i'd suggest looking at Presonus for a start.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 09:43 AM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Why not record directly to Logic? You'd need an audio interface with the required number of microphone preamps. You'd be much better off using Logic and a computer.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Dtorre
macrumors newbie

My budget is about $1000. I was un aware that logic (8 is what i have) could record more than one live instrument at a time... can someone please explain how to do this?
Dtorre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:39 PM   #6
ImpostorOak
macrumors member

To do that, you need some kind of audio interface with multiple inputs, A/D converters, and some kind of digital out like USB or FireWire. I'd personally go with FireWire because of the higher bandwidth.

Somebody else mentioned Presonus. An example of what we're talking about would be this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=242036

But anything that says it's compatible with Core Audio will work with Logic.
ImpostorOak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:10 PM   #7
beyonce50
macrumors newbie

recording drums in logic

well ive heard to record drums in logic im porbably gonna need a preamp interface type thing.....well is there anyway to get that same single track recording through a mixer...if so what type and brand....and one more question....if i wanna do this recording in logic do i juss make one audio track??? help please anybody
beyonce50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:53 PM   #8
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyonce50 View Post
well ive heard to record drums in logic im porbably gonna need a preamp interface type thing.....well is there anyway to get that same single track recording through a mixer...if so what type and brand....and one more question....if i wanna do this recording in logic do i juss make one audio track??? help please anybody
What you really want is an audio interface with as many inputs as you have microphones. Then you can record those tracks in Logic (Or Garage Band)

If the interface has fewer inputs than you have Mics then you can use an external mixer. Thebrand of mixer does not meter, chose any that you like. then the mixer's output goes to the line-in on you audio interface.

But it is far better to record all those tracks
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:54 PM   #9
ImpostorOak
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyonce50 View Post
Yeah, it's possible to do it through a mixer. You just have to find a mixer that has a digital audio out like USB or Firewire. Again, I'd go with FW over USB because of the higher bandwidth. Here's an example:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...xer?sku=501233

You would create one mono audio track for each microphone you're recording.
ImpostorOak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio