Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

TomTom for iPhone Set to Gain Real-Time Traffic Updates, Local Search

MobileCrunch reports that TomTom has issued a press release announcing the submission of Version 1.3 of its iPhone application to Apple for inclusion in the App Store. The updated version will bring real-time traffic updates and local search functionality offered by Google, as well as other yet-to-be-announced enhancements.
Quote:
A number of new services and features are coming soon to the TomTom app for iPhone, including TomTom Traffic for real-time traffic speed and incident reports, and Local Search powered by Google. The latest update to the TomTom app for iPhone (version 1.3), which has been submitted to Apple for review, will offer these and other soon-to-be-announced enhancements to ensure an optimal, and even more intuitive, navigation experience.
TomTom's iPhone application was last updated in November to add text-to-speech, lane guidance and several other features as the company has continued to attempt to keep pace in the competitive iPhone GPS market.

Article Link: TomTom for iPhone Set to Gain Real-Time Traffic Updates, Local Search
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Hmm, I wonder how much it'll cost?
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
bpfesq
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2k7 View Post
Hmm, I wonder how much it'll cost?
I'll probably be free like the last one.

I'm not looking forward to that download and transfer to my iPhone... takes FOREVER.
bpfesq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:41 PM   #4
aberg83
macrumors newbie

Nice!

For 3G users, this will mean TomTom is the undisputed best GPS app. Navigon just won't run reliably on the 3G.
aberg83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:49 PM   #5
gber
macrumors newbie

question about features

Does the current version allow saving of Favorites? Can it save an itinerary (multiple way points and destination)?
Thanks
gber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:50 PM   #6
wacky4alanis
macrumors 6502

Sweet - the lack of google search and traffic were the 2 glaring drawbacks of TomTom. Once those are in place, it should be a pretty solid product! I doubt the traffic add-on will be free, but I hope it is!
wacky4alanis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:08 PM   #7
rosujin
macrumors newbie

Nice! If they don't try to charge any extra for these new features I may finally have to break down and get this app.
rosujin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:14 PM   #8
UnseenLlama
macrumors 6502a

Does the volume lower while speaking during background music play, or does it still pause? Very annoying.
UnseenLlama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:24 PM   #9
abbstrack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberg83 View Post
Nice!

For 3G users, this will mean TomTom is the undisputed best GPS app. Navigon just won't run reliably on the 3G.
speak for yourself. while i have the occasional hiccups and stickyness, usually running Navigon off of a fresh restart works reliably well for me and my iPhone 3G.
abbstrack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:24 PM   #10
gber
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosujin View Post
Nice! If they don't try to charge any extra for these new features I may finally have to break down and get this app.
Don't expect TomTom to offer free traffic since they charge $9.95 a month for live Traffic, fuel prices and local Google search on their other devices. I also question how long users will get free map updates which are available quarterly for $49 a year on their other devices. They have done a poor job communicating the cost of these features on the iPhone. I guess they want to get a larger user base before they pass along other cost.
gber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenLlama View Post
Does the volume lower while speaking during background music play, or does it still pause? Very annoying.
Doesn't bother me much.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:35 PM   #12
aberg83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbstrack View Post
speak for yourself. while i have the occasional hiccups and stickyness, usually running Navigon off of a fresh restart works reliably well for me and my iPhone 3G.
It has been well documented throughout these and other forums that Navigon is not reliable on the 3G. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a fresh restart for an app to run well, that includes exhibiting occasional hiccups and stickyness. Everyone has a different opinion of what is usable. In my view, Navigon was clearly not designed to run smoothly on the 3G, but rather the 3GS. I'll leave it at that, since this issue has been beaten to death in other threads.
aberg83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:38 PM   #13
UnseenLlama
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Doesn't bother me much.
Great to know it doesn't bother you. You'd would think TomTom could have figured out how to do this for those of us who do care.
UnseenLlama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:39 PM   #14
room237
macrumors 6502

... and they're going to charge another $99.99 for the update
room237 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:43 PM   #15
roiegat
macrumors newbie

not sure why it's big news. GMAP costs 35 bucks and is just as good. For 7 dollars a year you get live traffic information. It's got the voice navigation and everything. It's much better then my actual TomTom GPS.
roiegat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:49 PM   #16
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by room237 View Post
... and they're going to charge another $99.99 for the update
aren't "updates" required to be free? I've never seen a paid update. Sure I mean they could add in app purchases to add some functionality (like traffic), but as for an actual update, it was my understanding those are always free
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:54 PM   #17
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
aren't "updates" required to be free? I've never seen a paid update. Sure I mean they could add in app purchases to add some functionality (like traffic), but as for an actual update, it was my understanding those are always free
No - paid updates exist but are rare and are allowed by Apple.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:30 PM   #18
n9n3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Mad Mac is exaggerating, but I think what will happen is that the update will allow for these software features to happen, and a paid in-app purchase will actually activate it. The next Navigon update is going to include 3D terrain maps, but you still have to buy it in-app to use the feature. The free update facilitates the upgrade, the in-app purchase let's you use it.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:16 PM   #19
Sebby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Nice!

You are absolutely right!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:30 PM   #20
mvl
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky4alanis View Post
Sweet - the lack of google search and traffic were the 2 glaring drawbacks of TomTom. Once those are in place, it should be a pretty solid product! I doubt the traffic add-on will be free, but I hope it is!
According to pocketlink here, Tomtom has told them directly that app 1.3 itself will be free. The traffic service is likely to be an in-app purchase subscription cost, and pricing is not yet announced.

I have extensive knowledge of Tomtoms, but no experience with an iPhone.

Last edited by mvl; Mar 2, 2010 at 04:36 PM.
mvl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:32 PM   #21
mvl
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenLlama View Post
macworld uk reported having tried this app hands-on at CeBIT, and says that it now does "a more sympathetic music fade".

I have extensive knowledge of Tomtoms, but no experience with an iPhone.
mvl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:19 PM   #22
Artsifrtsy
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Artsifrtsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvl View Post
macworld uk reported having tried this app hands-on at CeBIT, and says that it now does "a more sympathetic music fade".
The pause is great for listening to audio books - my issue is the volume of the voice - how do you turn it down? The default setting is jarring.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:38 PM   #23
Scdavis23
macrumors newbie

Live Traffic

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Navigon's traffic option a one-time purchase? If so, maybe we'll luck out and TomTom's live traffic won't be a subscription.
Scdavis23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:45 PM   #24
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scdavis23 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Navigon's traffic option a one-time purchase? If so, maybe we'll luck out and TomTom's live traffic won't be a subscription.

(That's me not correcting you)
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:58 PM   #25
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Talking

Quote:
Doesn't bother me much.
And it doesn't answer the question, which was not what bothers you.

Quote:
It has been well documented throughout these and other forums that Navigon is not reliable on the 3G. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a fresh restart for an app to run well, that includes exhibiting occasional hiccups and stickyness. Everyone has a different opinion of what is usable. In my view, Navigon was clearly not designed to run smoothly on the 3G, but rather the 3GS. I'll leave it at that, since this issue has been beaten to death in other threads.
Your right. The poster is probably a Windows user like me and used to doing restarts.
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion