Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Mar 6, 2010, 03:00 PM   #1
wmw71190
macrumors member

iPod Touch won't find WiFi Connections

I have a 1st gen iPod Touch, and it will no longer find any WiFi connections. I have tried all of the troubleshooting and have gone as far with Apple Support as possible, but they will not repair it because it is past warranty.

The problem is that it will actually not even find the wifi signals. I can't even get to the point where I can connect to them. I have enabled wifi on the ipod, and made sure I have a wifi address.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? I'm afraid its just a hardware issue and the wifi element inside is broken, but I want to make sure I cover all my bases before getting it repaired/buying a new one.
wmw71190 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:40 PM   #2
WLS
macrumors 6502a

Check in your settings again and see if WIFI is turned off. Also "ask to join networks" has to be on to automatically join them but they should show up as available. The only other thing to try and you might as well, is to do a complete restore of the OS and see if it is a corrupted driver causing the issue.
That's all I got, your Touch may have a dead wifi module as you suspect.
At least it's a good excuse to get a new one or a Pad.

Last edited by WLS; Mar 11, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
WLS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 01:00 AM   #3
icod
Banned

You can find a lot of wi-fi apps that will do the wi-fi scanning and connecting fo you. Just search wi-fi in iTunes and choose an app.
icod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

I'm having the same problem, the wifi button is grayed out, I can't choose a wifi either, APPLE SUCKS!, I'm really pissed, because it happened on its own, I did absolutely nothing, I've tried restoring it to 3.1.3 aswell as 3.1.2. tried reseting the ipod.. still nothing.. Honestly my Zune 30GB lasted over two years, I sold it last year.. It hasn't even been an year for this ipod touch..
Yamcha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:53 AM   #5
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Yamcha if it hasn't even been a year you have your warranty coverage through Apple...take it to the store.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:34 PM   #6
flyfish29
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
I'm having the same problem, the wifi button is grayed out, I can't choose a wifi either, APPLE SUCKS!, I'm really pissed, because it happened on its own, I did absolutely nothing, I've tried restoring it to 3.1.3 aswell as 3.1.2. tried reseting the ipod.. still nothing.. Honestly my Zune 30GB lasted over two years, I sold it last year.. It hasn't even been an year for this ipod touch..
Wow, tell us how you really feel!

so you say the button is grayed out? What button exactly? If you don't want to try what is suggested in this thread (download wifi app, restore, etc.) then Yamcha, I would call Apple since it is still under warranty- and as we learned in today's report They do have the best customer service in the industry!!!

It is a fact of life not everything works perfectly....so perhaps you have an iPod that sucks, but one crappy iPod doesn't make Apple suck. I am not a "fanboy" but a realistic customer who knows even the best companies can have a dud every once and a while (which is good if you buy refurbs!!!), and can even have a poorly designed/made product (read Time Capsule!)

good luck.

By the way...anyone want to buy my TC?!?!
flyfish29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:13 AM   #7
metalhead777
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish29 View Post
Wow, tell us how you really feel!

so you say the button is grayed out? What button exactly? If you don't want to try what is suggested in this thread (download wifi app, restore, etc.) then Yamcha, I would call Apple since it is still under warranty- and as we learned in today's report They do have the best customer service in the industry!!!

It is a fact of life not everything works perfectly....so perhaps you have an iPod that sucks, but one crappy iPod doesn't make Apple suck. I am not a "fanboy" but a realistic customer who knows even the best companies can have a dud every once and a while (which is good if you buy refurbs!!!), and can even have a poorly designed/made product (read Time Capsule!)

good luck.

By the way...anyone want to buy my TC?!?!
You, sir, are a smart man. Just because a company produces a device that doesn't work the way you want it to, doesn't mean you have to criticize them and hate on them. Just simply return it, since you have your warranty, and get a new one.
metalhead777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch